RoTJ stormtrooper boots

Nassik

I wonder what other RoTJ stormtroopers do for boots. Yes, I know that CaBoots are a popular choice among many troopers but is it correct for us? And yes, I have searched the forums for an answer.

From what I've read, the RoTJ stormtrooper had at least two different color boot soles... tan and white. I've not yet found a pair of stormtrooper boots with a tan sole though I have seen them with white soles.

To date, I've only ever found the white-soled variety offered by Star Fortress Productions on eBay.

Now I have read various opinions on this seller elsewhere on these boards and so I say now that this discussion has nothing to do with anyone's personal thoughts on this seller. Please keep your thoughts in this regard to yourself.

This discussion is about the boots themselves.

As I am seeing it, in order to achieve the complete RoTJ stormtrooper look, if we want white-soled boots, then we've got little choice but to seriously look at and consider these boots. After all, a boot made with white soles will inherently look better than a buyer's attempt to paint black soles white. Lacking any other options I likely will buy these boots in order to achieve the right look.

Has anyone ever owned these boots? And if so, what is your opinion of them?

Thanks for reminding me of those boots. I read that thread before and even posted in the thread. I like these Doc Marten boots and I have hunted for them through the internet. Unfortunately, I've never found them in a big enough size. This leads me to believe that they're a woman's boot.

Since I'm working on a RoTJ trooper I want white-soled boots. So far, this points me towards the SFP boots.

They may be unisex. But they're still too small. The largest size I've seen anywhere is a US mens size nine (9). I wear an 11 so these are definitely too small.

They may be unisex. But they're still too small. The largest size I've seen anywhere is a US mens size nine (9). I wear an 11 so these are definitely too small.

Well, if you really like them, I'd try contacting the Dr. Marten company (instead of a second party website) and see if you can directly order the size you need.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I e-mailed Dr. Martens about the sizing of these boots. I'll see what kind of response, if any, that I get.

If these boots aren't made in the right size, any guy that wears anything over a men's US size ten will still have to consider the SFP boots. The downside to the SFP boots, though, is that they don't look very rigid to me.

We don't seem to have many options here.

I posted this info in the boots forum but I'm re-posting it here as it pertains specifically to RoTJ stormtroopers.

I heard back from the Dr. Martens web site in regards to these boots in my size. I was told that they were going to get a few pairs of these boots in stock in my UK size 10.

They showed up in stock a short while earlier today and so I bought a pair in my size immediately.

If anyone wants a pair of these in the U.S. they're available up to a UK size 13.

------------

Considering the manufacturer, these boots ought to hold up for a good long time. At $110.00 US I certainly hope so.

These Dr. Martens boots cost a bit more than the SFP boots but these look a lot sturdier. If reputation is any indication, the Doc Martens may well be the way to go for a RoTJ stormtrooper looking for a white-soled boot.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Me too. I realize that these boots aren't dead-on screen-accurate but they are very close.

In this instance I think that these boots are a worthwhile compromise between screen-accuracy and trooping durability.

I've had such trouble locating these boots in my size that I jumped on it as soon as I saw them available. Who knows if they'll be available again so I've made sure that I grabbed them while I can.

I hate to say this, but I just went frame-by-frame through ROTJ and I can't find a single frame with anything that definitively looks like a Jodhpur boot.

Granted, it is still DVD quality on the computer, but nothing I've seen says, "That's definitely a Jod!"

I've ordered my Caboots, and I'll probably call it good, but I am starting to believe the "Elvis Style" long boot with a zipper is actually the boot they used, mostly, and not just on a tour suit.

Now, not all the boots are the long, zippered, elvis style with the tan bottoms. Lots of them are for sure.

But some of the TK's sides of their soles were painted white, while some were black. I have a screen cap of the bottom of a TK foot that looks like an actual BOOT bottom. I imagine what the Doc's will look like on the bottom. Only in yellow, not white.

That screen cap was definitely not the tan Elvis Boot bottom which is pretty smooth with a heel.

Someday we'll figure this all out. :D

At this time, it seems that the jodhpur style is what we're going with. And since that's the style that so many of us own I hope that this standard isn't changed anytime soon.

At the moment, the Dr. Marten's Patrick sole is all white...

---------

Painting the soles of the boots white may be the most screen-accurate way to go but I'm rather fond of the crisp look of a manufactured white sole.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...

Now here's a really fun pic I found earlier for any RoTJ trooper thinking of going with white-soled boots...

VaderintheLead.jpg.01c160a09b9cc76748cdfbb54b7d8f5f.jpg

Look at our friend on the left. He's even got the right-side holster as well. This shot was taken from a deleted RoTJ scene where Vader was leading some officers to greet Palpatine's shuttle as it prepared to land.

And then check out the picture on this mousepad...

----------

More white-soled boots and even more stormtroopers wearing those right-side holsters.

This stuff is fun!

Edited by gmrhodes13

You sound surprised. Seen any ROTJ troopers wearing their holsters on the left?

Not surprised. I don't remember seeing left-handed holsters in RoTJ. But then again, I've known that the holsters were on on the right for a while now so I wouldn't be looking for left-handed holsters. In this instance I was going more off the memory of how TKCaleb said that he had never seen right-handed holsters in RoTJ before I posted a thread about the holster.

I found this picture and I really wanted to put it up for the sake of reference, as I'd never seen it before. So I figured that I could add it to either the RoTJ holster thread or the RoTJ boot thread. There are a couple of really good Endor pictures that show the holster in the other thread but no pictures up of the white-soled RoTJ stormtrooper boots (except for in the pinned thread of the RoTJ stormtrooper outfit). So I figured it was better to put up a picture of the boots so that other RoTJ troopers realize that they have the option of white-soled boots. I've gone with white-soled boots because I'd heard of them in RoTJ though I hadn't seen pictures of them at that point. These boots are a nice alternative to the commonly used black-soled CAboots and I just felt like reminding my RoTJ brothers and sisters that we do have a choice.

Not surprised. I don't remember seeing left-handed holsters in RoTJ. But then again, I've known that the holsters were on on the right for a while now so I wouldn't be looking for left-handed holsters. In this instance I was going more off the memory of how TKCaleb said that he had never seen right-handed holsters in RoTJ before I posted a thread about the holster.

I found this picture and I really wanted to put it up for the sake of reference, as I'd never seen it before. So I figured that I could add it to either the RoTJ holster thread or the RoTJ boot thread. There are a couple of really good Endor pictures that show the holster in the other thread but no pictures up of the white-soled RoTJ stormtrooper boots (except for in the pinned thread of the RoTJ stormtrooper outfit). So I figured it was better to put up a picture of the boots so that other RoTJ troopers realize that they have the option of white-soled boots. I've gone with white-soled boots because I'd heard of them in RoTJ though I hadn't seen pictures of them at that point. These boots are a nice alternative to the commonly used black-soled CAboots and I just felt like reminding my RoTJ brothers and sisters that we do have a choice.

Yeah...I need to up grade to a pair of white soled boots very soon :)

TK8280 said:
Yeah...I need to up grade to a pair of white soled boots very soon :)

Since the white-soled boots seem to be a uniquely RoTJ attribute I'm inclined to think that they should be a RoTJ EIB requirement. I know that there were also black-soled boots and even tan-soled boots in RoTJ but since the white soles are unique to RoTJ I reiterate that this detail ought to be a RoTJ EIB requirement.

I think this picture is enough evidence to show the prevalent use of white-soled boots for RoTJ stormtroopers...

RoTJTroopers.jpg.015a499b57f1e6e77f04aeb124bbff1d.jpg

I see at least nine white-soled stormtroopers here.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I agree Shawn. White soles and right hand holsters should be compulsory for ROTJ.

On a side note- I read somewhere that white naval officers boots were used for the ROTJ troopers. I've never really looked for ROTJ boots so I couldn't say if there is any truth in what I read, but maybe worth a look if you want the real deal?

I agree Shawn. White soles and right hand holsters should be compulsory for ROTJ.

On a side note- I read somewhere that white naval officers boots were used for the ROTJ troopers. I've never really looked for ROTJ boots so I couldn't say if there is any truth in what I read, but maybe worth a look if you want the real deal?

Sounds good to me. What would be the necessary steps to make them RoTJ compulsory? There's plenty of photographic evidence to support these bits for the RoTJ stormtrooper.

I've begun searching for white naval officer boots but haven't found anything yet. Though I will continue to look, at this time I still like the white Dr. Martens brought up in this thread.

I would have to paint my black soles white lol...plus I don’t think it would added out right to the requirements...but I would like it to be strongly “suggested” in the EIB requirements though…much like the rubber gloves are for ANH :)

I would have to paint my black soles white lol...plus I don’t think it would added out right to the requirements...but I would like it to be strongly “suggested” in the EIB requirements though…much like the rubber gloves are for ANH :)

You, my esteemed friend, are the RoTJ Elite and so you've got nothing to worry about. :)

I wouldn't think that anything could just up and be added to the EIB requirements for any trooper version. Mine was a question of curiosity... what's the procedure?

For the boots, there are always these Dr. Martens... good to go right out of the box. Or you paint your soles white. And I do like the idea of making the holster more common. We see quite a few of them on the Death Star. They're required for ANH and ESB so why not RoTJ?

I've seen plenty of TK's nocked back for Legion approval for having chunky soled work type boots like those Docs. Maybe it would be better to get approved before worrying too much about sole colour.

I wouldn't touch the white docs with a barge pole personally. I think if you want to look like a stormtrooper then you need to wear the right gear, not something that is easily obtainable or comfortable. I know it's different when you are trooping as opposed to displaying your armour but really, your boots should look reasonably close to what was seen on screen. Just my personal opinion of course :)

I wouldn't touch the white docs with a barge pole personally. I think if you want to look like a stormtrooper then you need to wear the right gear, not something that is easily obtainable or comfortable. I know it's different when you are trooping as opposed to displaying your armour but really, your boots should look reasonably close to what was seen on screen. Just my personal opinion of course :)

Agreed.