Doug's ATA Build[*ATA]

I'd say trim to the 2nd line and then some (1mm or so), that's what I did. You can either draw a guideline with a soft pencil or use tape to guide the blade. BTW, I also have a return edge where possible, but there are only some parts where those are possible.

I thought I should probably trim it to the 2nd line, but since I've never worked with an ATA kit before, I figured I should ask. Better safe than sorry.

I hear you on the return edge, Dennis -- I'm leaving one only where it makes sense. Or that's the goal, anyway.

The pencil is my friend. I mark EVERYTHING before I trim it. I've gotten myself in big trouble trying to trim freehand in the past, so I just don't do it anymore. :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the rest of the body armor trimmed last night. Now: LOTS of sanding. Followed by some shaping with the modeling iron.

ATA_build_4.jpg

ATA_build_6.jpg

ATA_build_5.jpg

Some trimmed armor, a nice fat gash in my thumb, a couple of blisters from the lexan scissors, and a bit pile of scraps. Awesome!

Sprayed the inside of the helmet black yesterday as well. Not at all accurate, but I think it adds a lil' summin' summin'.

ATA_helmet_6.jpg

ATA_helmet_7.jpg

Assembled and primed the helmet today. Looks to me like he needs a little more trimming, but all in all, not bad.

ATA_helmet_5.jpg

ATA_helmet_8.jpg

ATA_helmet_9.jpg

Hopefully the weather will hold out and I'll be able to bust out the gloss Rustoleum this week. :)

Hopefully the weather will hold out and I'll be able to bust out the gloss Rustoleum this week. :)

Take your time with it, took me almost 3 weeks just to paint everything. follow Mike's painting instructions to the letter and it'll look great.

Take your time with it, took me almost 3 weeks just to paint everything. follow Mike's painting instructions to the letter and it'll look great.

No doubt. I haven't started to *think* about painting the armor yet. I still need to sand, fit, shape and glue everything!

I'm trying to reign myself in from goin' all crazy and rushing stuff.

Fortunately-- and unfortunately -- I've been up to my eyeballs in web design projects, so it's forced to me to slow down and do one thing at a time.

Are you going to put the snaps on before you paint? If I had to do my set over, well on the next set of armor I get. I would leave painting to the end.

Hadn't thought about that.

Probably a good idea, huh? Less risk of things getting scraped and scuffed.

You're a genius! :duim:

Yup. Totally going to do the snaps before I paint. :)

ATA was nice enough to send me some reference pics, so I thought I'd label them and share 'em with everyone else.

ATA_reference_left_bicep2.jpg

These should really do come handy for anyone in doubt, I had my fair share of confusion... :lol:

There really isn't any return edge on that left biceps...strange! Shouldn't there be one? Maybe that's something ATA should modify for future pulls?

These should really do come handy for anyone in doubt, I had my fair share of confusion... :lol:

There really isn't any return edge on that left biceps...strange! Shouldn't there be one? Maybe that's something ATA should modify for future pulls?

I had to take any return off them anyways, I think it depends on your size.

Eric -- I have pipe-cleaner arms and legs, so I have the reverse problem -- figuring out how much smaller I can make stuff. ;)

Richard -- yeah, they're drastically different, huh? Not even close. But I love the asymmetry. All part of the mystique, I think.

Got the helmet all tarted up in Rustoleum today after work.

Man- you really have to get the can close and lay it on thick to get that nice candy shell!

I was trying to be all conservative at first, and nothin' was happening-- so the next two coats, I just got right up in there and caked it on.

I figured if I was gonna' screw up, I might as well go big. :P

Turned out pretty good, I think.

A few mistakes, but nothing that made me want to cry.

It'll probably look worse to me tomorrow, but for now--- ooooooh shiny! :wub:

ATA_helmet_10.jpg

ATA_helmet_11.jpg

ATA_helmet_12.jpg

I did make a couple of boo-boos... my finger slipped on the nozzle and got in the way, so I got a few little splatters in the finish.

Does anyone know if I might be able to buff out the minor blemishes after the paint cures?

I could use some advice, if anybody's been in the same boat.

Eric -- I have pipe-cleaner arms and legs, so I have the reverse problem -- figuring out how much smaller I can make stuff. ;)

Richard -- yeah, they're drastically different, huh? Not even close. But I love the asymmetry. All part of the mystique, I think.

Got the helmet all tarted up in Rustoleum today after work.

Man- you really have to get the can close and lay it on thick to get that nice candy shell!

I was trying to be all conservative at first, and nothin' was happening-- so the next two coats, I just got right up in there and caked it on.

I figured if I was gonna' screw up, I might as well go big. :P

Turned out pretty good, I think.

A few mistakes, but nothing that made me want to cry.

It'll probably look worse to me tomorrow, but for now--- ooooooh shiny! :wub:

ATA_helmet_10.jpg

ATA_helmet_11.jpg

ATA_helmet_12.jpg

I did make a couple of boo-boos... my finger slipped on the nozzle and got in the way, so I got a few little splatters in the finish.

Does anyone know if I might be able to buff out the minor blemishes after the paint cures?

I could use some advice, if anybody's been in the same boat.

Where you say/show your booboo's, I see that it's very small ones. Let the paint stand and dry total (that's paint take's up to a week or more with the more paint that the spray can's pump out. It cure's over day's from the top in, so it take's time. ) Then just do a little buff with 1500 grit wet/dry and then re-do.

This is looking fantastic!

I just ordered a ATA helmet and seing what you do to yours makes it hard to wait!!! I just bookmarked this thread.

You really nailed the raised brow look.

About the spots: the other guys allready gave ya good tips.

Keep the pics coming.

Cheers

I need to get working on my clone, painting is one of my favorite parts of putting together armor. Great job so far Doug.

Thanks for all the continued encouragement, guys! It makes the process a lot more fun, and keeps me motivated!

Applied the decals this morning, and started painting the details...

Decals:

ATA_helmet_14.jpg

ATA_helmet_13.jpg

(I'm not sure how I'd do it, but I might need to trim the cap a bit more-- the side traps look a little goofy. Any suggestions?)

Frown:

ATA_helmet_15.jpg

(looks a little washed out in the bright light.)

Vocoder: (alongside my bada$$ new TM helmet)

ATA_helmet_18.jpg

(the vocoder didn't end up looking as "pointy" as it is here-- I went back and did some fixin')

ATA_helmet_20.jpg

I'm letting the mic tips dry, and hope to get them and the lenses installed late tonight.

Then, the neck trim-- and viola! On to the body armor!

Oh -- because I'm obnoxious and a gigantic dork, I'll probably get all fancy in photoshop and make something far cooler than these lame snapshots,

but I wanted to post up a couple of pics of Stuka-Pete's TrooperMaster rig I bought a couple weeks ago.

SO AWESOME!!!! I just can't describe how giddy this thing makes me. I totally transformed into a goggle-eyed 8 yr old when I put it on.

tm_armor_front_7.jpg

tm_armor_side_1.jpg

I knew it was going to be amazing, but seeing it up close totally floored me. Between TrooperMaster's attention to detail, and Pete's building skills, this thing's PERFECT.

I mean, seriously -- how friggin' cool is THAT!?!?!? :wub:

Thanks, Pete, Paul and Mark -- you guys are the BEST! :salute:

I feel totally spoiled.

And just so ya' know... my ATA will *not* end up looking that nice. :P It gives me something to aspire to, but I'm just not on Pete's level.

SO AWESOME!!!! I just can't describe how giddy this thing makes me. I totally transformed into a goggle-eyed 8 yr old when I put it on.

Isnt it amazing how one regreses to a child-like stage when stormtrooper armor is involved....???!!!!

my heart rate stills goes up a little just looking at my armor, not to mention it also does with armor threads!!!!!

Good job!!!!