Velcro instead of snaps?

Ok, I'm wanting some opinions on a recommendation that was made to me. Instead of putting my armor together using snaps, I was told to try using velcro to begin with and wear the armor around (trooping and at home) to see how it all fits. That way it is easily adjusted so that between trimming for fit and adjusting the velcro, I will have a more perfect fitting armor that I will then be able to add snaps to if I feel it is necessary. I can see some wisdom to the idea as I would not have to keep cutting out straps and adding snaps to it to try and fit my armor. What do you think?

Snaps.

Far more secure and can be made to be adjustable. My current setup allows me to adjust every part of the suspension system. It is less costly to just nail it the first time.

I can adjust the straps with sliders, like on a backpack. Points at the crotch, the suspenders, and soon to include the arms and the thighs.

Snaps.

Far more secure and can be made to be adjustable. My current setup allows me to adjust every part of the suspension system. It is less costly to just nail it the first time.

I can adjust the straps with sliders, like on a backpack. Points at the crotch, the suspenders, and soon to include the arms and the thighs.

That is the kind of setup I was thinking about to begin with, but had not seen or heard of anyone using adjustable straps. My thoughts are this, if I use the velcro and troop a few times to get everything where it needs to be, I can then mark the straps and use them as templates for the snap system. I'd love to see picts of your adjustable system.

I'm still putting together my armor, but so far, I have a combo of snaps and velcro. I was looking for an alternate method of attaching the thighs since I didn't feel the snap method was adequate. (I borrowed someone elses armor for an event who was using only snaps and I took one step going up stairs and the snap to the thigh popped out instantly.) I did the method where I took an old belt (it gets completely covered up by the rest of the armor) and hung black webbing off of it on each leg with a patch of industrial velcro riveted to the end. I then lined the inside of the thigh pieces with the opposite velcro. All I have to do is put the belt on, slide the thigh pieces up and press the velcro together inside and it is a solid connection!

Unfortunately I will probably have to redo it because I put the 'hook' side of the velcro inside the thighs when it should have been on the end of the straps instead. So right now, I have the scratchy 'hook' side of the velcro constantly scratching and slowly ripping up my under armor leggings.

I really prefer the velcro..you can easely adjust it and I have not once have had any problems when trooping all part allways stay in place all day...And on these troopes i have seen people with snaps that have to snap it from time to time when it release.

I really prefer the velcro..you can easely adjust it and I have not once have had any problems when trooping all part allways stay in place all day...And on these troopes i have seen people with snaps that have to snap it from time to time when it release.

:nods

i use a combo of snaps, plastic clips and velcro. The only area i have velcro is the backs of the calves and the sides of the ab/kindney plates. Everything else is snaps or the plastic clips. ive trooped in it this way for over a year and have not had any problems. it is also fully adjustable as i tend to gain and lose weight

I started out with velcro, for many of the reasons listed above, and now I'm currently in the process of replacing all that velcro with snaps.

Simply put, the velcro, even the Industrial Strength just doesn't hold as well, I was constantly having pieces pop loose. So far the snaps have been working better, no issues on last night's troop.

Snaps can be adjustable too, if your strapping is too long, simply put another snap in at a shorter length.

I think a combination of snaps and velcro would be nice....although personally, I use velcro because it's easier to fit in my small build, and for the shoulder bells you can sew the velcro onto the shoulders and wouldn't have to worry them too much