A comfy mod

The part I hate the most is lack of movement. I modded my armor to get a fuller range of movement. I cut my cod and seperated the back from the butt. I now have a white armor bikini. But never fear, the belt hides those embarrasing bikini lines.

d8CKz7E.jpg

I've been meaning to ask about that. Cool! Thanks for the visual demonstration there. If that makes it to where you can sit down (if need be), then that is a cool mod. Just one question... when did they pass out the green shirts at the academy? :P I wonder how it would look with a different color underarmor...

And your ability to sew in armor is impressive as well. B)

It is a great mod, I did it myself. At a trooping event I sat down, and two TK's looked at me in disbelief.

Since we have a sewing machine expert I have to ask: My wife wants a sewing machine but I have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions on feature you got to have or not (etc) ?

Thx, Ed

It seems to help for the majority of foilks, but in hindsight I wish I had not done mine.

Fortunately if you do the cut is behind the belt, so even if the line isn't 100% straight you should be OK.

Mind if I ask why?

1. It didn't allow any mobility I didn't have before.

2. I'm always wondering if the bottom snap ever becomes undone, of me looking like an "excited" trooper.

3. It's just one more thing to flop around when the suits taken off.

All valid concerns. Thanks for the info. I was also thinking as it would be behind the belt area, it may add stress to the belt when you sit. So far, I found I'm able to sit if it's on a backless stool or a couch. I just look like a pregnant lady when I try to get up.

it may add stress to the belt when you sit.

I guess that would depend if you're snapped int the back of velcro. My belt is leather (didn't know enough to use canvas, so it seemed a better choice than plastic at the time) and velcro'd in the back. There is enough give and it takes up some stress on the belt.

While cutting the buttplate didn't do much for my range of movement, cutting the cod made all the difference in the world as far as being able to bend over to shake hands with a child or pick up a fallen blaster. I use the kit velcro (the ONLY place I use it on my armor) to secure the cod to the buttplate underneath and never had it "pop up." It was also easier to go to the bathroom standing up in armor by pulling the cod up and out of the way. :D

The two pieces are connected on the inside by a wide strip (at least 3" wide running the length of the cut) of black elastic fabric. I used DevCon Plastic Welder to glue it into place. 4+ years of troopin' and no problems.

Hmm, I'm not fond of having a strap going from the cod piece to my butt place. With it still attached, I have problems with the strap coming off. But it would be nice to be able to bend over to shake a child's hand without feeling like I'm going to fall over...

With it still attached, I have problems with the strap coming off.

Are you using snaps or something else? I've used snaps both before and after the cod mod, and it's never unsnapped, even after hours of marching. FWIW, I'm using the stretchy strap material instead of the cordura type strap.

FWIW, I'm using the stretchy strap material instead of the cordura type strap.

Ahh Haa. I have been using a cordura strap and it has been popping off, now I will switch to an elastic material. Thanks, TK8020

P.S. I'm loving our little detachment, it has been quit helpful. :D

I thought everyone knew of this mod already. I did this to both my FX & my AP armor. I did snaps to hold the FX pieces together while I simply glued the elastic to both sides on the AP (since I'll never remove the part why waste snaps).

The butt plate doesn't make a huge difference as others have said the cod makes it completely different.

I would recommend this mod to everyone.

Some pix so you can see what my armor looks like. This is the bottom of the cod & back plate, with a snap inserted directly into the armor (though you could also make a snap plate and glue that in), with a small strap connecting them.

I thought everyone knew of this mod already.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to remember when it was like when we first started and it was all new. Heck, I'm still learning things...

It is a great mod, I did it myself. At a trooping event I sat down, and two TK's looked at me in disbelief.

Since we have a sewing machine expert I have to ask: My wife wants a sewing machine but I have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions on feature you got to have or not (etc) ?

Thx, Ed

We have a Huskystar. Hate it. Will let you know when I go shopping.

Hmm, I'm not fond of having a strap going from the cod piece to my butt place. With it still attached, I have problems with the strap coming off. But it would be nice to be able to bend over to shake a child's hand without feeling like I'm going to fall over...

The strap is great. An Imperial G string if you will. Kind of sexy.

I would recommend this mod to everyone.

What about troopers who are a little round in the middle? I heard that you end up looking like a pregnant Stormtrooper. The full ab plate connected to the cod piece is slimming to fuller figured troops.

• 4 weeks later...
tuskentrooper said:

While cutting the buttplate didn't do much for my range of movement, cutting the cod made all the difference in the world as far as being able to bend over to shake hands with a child or pick up a fallen blaster. I use the kit velcro (the ONLY place I use it on my armor) to secure the cod to the buttplate underneath and never had it "pop up." It was also easier to go to the bathroom standing up in armor by pulling the cod up and out of the way. :D

The two pieces are connected on the inside by a wide strip (at least 3" wide running the length of the cut) of black elastic fabric. I used DevCon Plastic Welder to glue it into place. 4+ years of troopin' and no problems.

So your recommendation would be to cut the cod, but not the buttplate?

I too have thought of doing this mod, but never got the nerve. I recently completed the velcro-to-snaps conversion.

The nice thing about this mod is that it's covered by the belt. Even if your edge is not 100% straight or clean no one should be able to see.

The first cut is the hardest gents, but rest assured it gets easier from there on out.

I must recommend this mod (both front and back abs) as it gives you the flexibility that won't know you need - until you need it. And as the belt covers the split no one can tell you have the ability for added mobility.

From one split opinion :huh:

Thx, Ed