ANH Elite standards - OLD / NO LONGER CURRENT

Elite Standards - ANH version is located at: <a href="http://www.whitearmor.net/requirements/standardANH.htm" target="_blank">http://www.whitearmor.net/requirements/standardANH.htm</a>

For reference in this section of the board here is the text:

Stormtrooper Detachment Elite Standards - ANH Configuration

* Comply with all base standards

* Armor Details

o Correctly colored ab plate buttons

o Seperate kidney and butt plates instead of a single back plate

o Canvas or canvas covered belt

o No side gaps between ab/kidney plates. Gaps may be covered with plastic, vinyl, or similar substance

o Holster must be attached to the belt from behind instead with no loops covering the outside of the belt

o Holster is worn on the left

o No visible rivets on shoulder straps

* Helmet Details

o Grey painted frown

o Blue tube stripes

o Grey traps / teardrops with black lines on rear traps & tears

o Black Hovi-Mix cast “tusks”

o Conform to either Hero or Stunt options below

Hero Configuration

+ Bubble smoke lenses

+ Six cut teeth (3 / side) on frown

Stunt Configuration

+ Flat green lenses

+ Eight cut teeth (4 / side) on frown

* E-11 Blaster

o Scratch-built, resin cast, hyperfirm rubber cast, or modified toy blaster.

o Must include Hengstler counter on left side of weapon

Detachment Stormtrooper Approved Options

Stormtroopers may have the following

* Grappling hook *

* Comlink *

* MG-34

* Ideally the grapling hook and comlink would be substituted as a set in place of the thermal detonator, not worn in addition to it.

The following modifications are encouraged, but not required

* ANH shaped helmet (e.g. no FX)

• 1 month later...

Since I do not have a speaker system in my helmet yet (so many projects, so little money), I may really shooting myself in the foot, but...

Might it be appropriate to make a speaker system a criteria for Mark Standards?

Granted, stormtroopers are not supposed to be too chatty, but without speakers, we're mimes. The Mark Standards focus primarily on the visual aspects of accurate armour, but perhaps they could be used to raise the bar (again) towards fully and accurately animated stormtroopers.

I would say not at this time, as it doesn't detract from the visual impression. I think once we get 50% of the TK's in the Legion though up to Mark standards, then it would be a good time to up the bar :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have question about the FX kit then - As far as the helmet goes, the FX kit has 3 teeth on each side right, and the ANH standard for that is the Hero configuration. So does that mean that I have to use the bubles lenses? I have a very hard seeing clearly with them and currently have flat green lenses.

If that is not acceptable for ANH Mark Standards, are there any bubble lenses that do not create as much of a distortion?

You can cut out a fourth tooth on the FX kit. It's not a hard adjustment.

Also...you can go for Hero mark standards with bubble lenses for your deployment pix, but nothing says you can't swap them out with flat green ones for trooping.

It's the same way on MEPD - I have to have full MEPD requirements to get deployed, but may not always choose to troop in that configuration.

Deployment standards are there to promote and reward achievements in costuming excellence, they're not there to dictate how you troop.

• 4 months later...
You can cut out a fourth tooth on the FX kit. It's not a hard adjustment.

Also...you can go for Hero mark standards with bubble lenses for your deployment pix, but nothing says you can't swap them out with flat green ones for trooping.

It's the same way on MEPD - I have to have full MEPD requirements to get deployed, but may not always choose to troop in that configuration.

Deployment standards are there to promote and reward achievements in costuming excellence, they're not there to dictate how you troop.

If I decide to go for Elite status with my FX kit, what's the best way to cut the fourth tooth? Any posts or, even more helpful, visual aids/pics?

If you look at the helmet teeth as they are designed, the third tooth on each side is pretty large. In essence, you are going to put a rectangle hole in the middle of the last tooth, thereby creating a fourth tooth on each side.

You need to measure the third tooth size. The middle of that measurement is the middle of the new rectangle hole you will create. I then used an exacto knife to drill open a small hole in the helmet at this middle point. Then I used a small file to begin creating the rectangle. You can use the width of the other rectangles as a guide and the upper and lower part of the frown is the height.

I also used a pencil to trace the rectangle size. This gave me a guide for filing limits and if I drew it to large, I could always erase the mark. Its also possible to use a dremel to drill out and shape the hole, but if you slip, then you get to buy a new helmet. With a file, you can take your time and size it better.

This is my helmet with the fourth tooth. The hole is actually a bit bigger than the picture makes it seem. Small is good though. If you want you can always take more off; not so easy to add it back on.

Hope this helps.

NewHeadBand.jpg

NewHeadBand.jpg

This is a really good example of a well done FX bucket. It's a noticeable difference what a little care to detail does...easy steps but they go a long way.

OK. I just finished reading the "Should FX buckets be non-acceptable for Elite status?" thread, and I have to say Thank God for people like Carlos!!! The quote: "Part of the point of a detachment is to help the costuming standards and we are already way ahead of the curve in regards to the Legion's TK standards. By shutting out others in FX helmets, you're driving away many others who like their helmets. The ANH V2 is not screen accurate either, so why would that be accepted, because it's a bit more accurate? How long until those helmets are not considered "elite?" Why stop at the helmet? We all know the FX kit is not completely accurate either, so if we're voting, let's just vote out the FX kit all together!" sent a chill up my spine!!!

Now, mind you, I know Ed closed the topic, and I AM NOT looking to open it back up. I was REALLY glad to see Paul and Ed giving positive comments on Mark's FX bucket above. Being that I am still in constructions stages, I would love to strive for Elite status! You have no idea how proud it would make me to know I received recognition for my hard work. :D

That said, I just finished putting the 4th tooth in my FX lid, based upon Paul and Ed's comments and Mark's photo.

Just wanted to let someone know that there are still FX'ers out there that are working toward that Elite goal, and in fairness, until the 501st declares FX buckets as non-acceptable, IMHO, it should stand as an option.

4holes_closeup_left.jpg

4holes_closeup_right.jpg

faceplate_4holes.jpg

Ed, Paul, and Brian,

Thanks for the kind words. When I started working on my armor my wife and I had a laugh because I was also having trouble caulking the edges of the bath tub at the time. I was seriously wondering how this project would turn out. A little peer encouragement goes a long way (and the bath tub doesn't leak either.)

Mark and Brian,

I think your attitude is the right one, and keep it up!! Here is a great read, if you are ever sleep deprived and want to cure it: MY FX Elite progress

Now I am NOT saying this is the best armor out there, because I know it is not; but I am DARN proud of it. Keep in mind this is 100% FX, so your goal is totally attainable.

I do not want to be seen as trying to puff myself up, rather show that it is possible. Hope this is some encouragement for you, and any others who have FX. We all know it is not the most accurate armor there is, but it can certainly be made to look pretty good, I think.

Thanks Scott. Great photos for references in the "Elite Progress" thread. Impressive. Most Impressive! :vader1:

I already have a new button set and am just waiting to get the ab and cod pieces separated. I'm also ordering a canvas belt from firebladejedi and I have an armor party coming up next Saturday to complete my armor. :D:duim::peace:

I know it may be a big bite to take, trying to achieve Elite status on my first costume, but anyone that knows me knows that I only do something if I feel like I can do the BEST job on it.

Wish me luck! You should be seeing my request for Elite status in a couple of weeks, if all goes as planned! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Not now. The reason is that when I wrote the standard it was very, very hard to find 3 bar ears, and even then that there was a version for each helmet make. Eventually it will be a requirement, but I'll want to know that each 501st approved helmet make has an easily obtainable source for them.

That said, we should add it as "strongly encouraged" for now.