any reviews on helmet sound systems

I can only speak for the TrikToys ( thats the only one i have and the one one i have seen live)

I like it, it has a good return sound, capability of blaster fire and frases from the movies PTT actived. and ability to regulate the time after talk KKssshht, feed back etc ( then most other do)

Cons:

( my opinion only)

Some parts started to rust only after 2 troopers ( now i remove the circut baord after troop and clean and apply very little very little oil on parts that rusted.

Might be pricey ( dont know current price), one could hold out a little and get one of the top of the line programable ones.

All in all i would recomend it ( but loook around, for one that meets your critiria)

I myself have used both TrikToys, and Plecterlabs Voicecore.

I prefer the Voicecore, as it is smaller and have better options compared to TrikToys. However, it is more expensive...

And it needs more tweaking to work perfectly (speakers, wires, stuff like that.)

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I use a Rom FX running on 8 AA batteries with a nokia speaker and I am incredibly happy with it- it isn't the cheapest but I would say it is a good example of that old adage you get what you pay for.

Ditto that Gary. ROM/FX has it's issues, but from what I've seen and heard there's nothing like it; wouldn't TK with anything else.

I am confused :mellow: , do u have one? Are u argumenting that the ROM/FX is top noch do to hear-say or experience....

( * :huh: Confused) :P

I'm pretty sure it's from experience- I belive the comment about what he has seen and heard is refering to other systems he has seen.

I have never heard a vox better than RomFx. Period. Can't say I've heard them all, but I've heard a lot and nothing comes close.

I talk really loud.

:P

kidding.. I have a trik toys, but I don't mount it it the helmet. I mount all my stuff in the back plate. Feeds back like a Nirvana concert.

Buddy, I have both the Triktoys amp and the ROM/FX....

IMHO, it's simply no contest, the ROM/FX just rocks!

But I do like the Triktoys too.... If you get the chance to see both in operation, do it... then decide....

Well I have the Hyperdyne, Rom FX, Voice core and a couple of others and in my opinion the Rom FX gives the best no feedback sound nice , loud and clear, followed by the Voice core from Plecter labs which is another good unit. IMO the Hyperdyne is tricky to eliminate feedback and a little tricky to program. At least the one I have is which is the earlier model, they may have fixed that by now.

So if you can afford it go with the Rom FX it rocks! :salute:

Thanks fella's, think the romfx is sounding good, so better go and order one then, think the waiting time at the mo is two months. But like the man said you get what you pay for but worth the wait.

Where can you get it from?

http://www.romfx.com/

John is a stand up bloke and his communication is 1st class. :duim:

I'll "roger that" on John - he really is a class act fellow and very easy to work with.

I don't know if its just a UK garrison thing or not , but if 501st members give him their TK number he makes it play that on start up instead of the "Rom FX" sound bite. B)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if its just a UK garrison thing or not , but if 501st members give him their TK number he makes it play that on start up instead of the "Rom FX" sound bite. B)

Presonalized....... Intresting, very cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is part of a Email that I got from Patrick Barrett owner of TCI

Still being make and sold ... I really like mine

Hello Robert,

I own Barrett Products, in Portland, OR.

We designed and manufacture the popular Trooper Comm Interface (TCI) product.

We have now heard a rumor that "TCIs are no longer available".

...This is simply not true!

One website has posted a notice to this effect,

but it just means that they have apparently decided to stop carrying the TCI.

...We had no part in their (presumably financial) decision.

As you may have guessed, we have a problem with our sales channel for this product.

We are resolving the issue. Watch www.barrettproducts.com for exciting developments

in the coming weeks.

It is our policy to always do our best to deliver value to our Trooper Customers

and we are extremely sorry that you have been affected!

We wonder if other Troopers have experienced similar problems?

If you can, please ask other Troopers with similar problems to contact us immediately!

We will make every effort to ensure that if they purchase a TCI

they are satisfied with their purchase.

Also - please feel free to contact me directly with your thoughts and ideas.

Regards, and May the Force be with you!

pat

Patrick H. Barrett, Owner

Barrett Products

POB 19847, Portland, OR 97280

503.245.0325, office

pat@barrettproducts.com

sales@barrettproducts.com

www.barrettproducts.com

thx

TK6716

• 3 weeks later...
subtrooper said:
Hi, can anybody recommend a good sound system, I've seen loads now but not sure which to go for. Thanks

Hi Mark. Not sure if I'm allowed to post this on the forum but I make a range of TKVox custom comm kits. They are very very small, especially the NanoAmp and the soon to be launched even smaller PicoAmp. I make Hovi speaker tips which are supplied with the amp kits and all the mounting equipment, microphone, powerpack and instructions are supplied. The sound is excellent and the Nano and Pico can also output to a secondary speaker. I've been experimenting with a Linx B-Tube (Google it) – cheap as chips, rechargeable and very versatile. The B-Tube also makes it really loud! I'm mounting the B-Tube in my back plate to provide ambient sound and having the Hovi speakers providing forward projection. Because the B-Tube is self powered, it doesn't put much power drain on my amps, so, they still run for ages!

My kits make a great sound which is very similar to the Moss Eisley effect. There is no static burst but you can do the old forced air trick or not bother with it at all. Feedback is also reduced using a system I created, grandly entitled FRT (add an "a" and it's a giggle).

I've sold loads of the kits and not had one back (30 plus kits)! They are built to last and will run for 12 hours plus from 1 x PP3!

I'm very proud of the gear I've created and it's a different offering to the other guys out there. I didn't want to compete with them but rather offer an alternative to troopers.

I try to create something new every month. I've been working on a compact magnetic connector for speakers and microphones for a few weeks now. When it's perfected, it will enable troopers to whip their helmet off without worrying about unplugging jack plugs etc. When you put your helmet back on, you just offer up the connector and it instantly attaches! They are difficult to make though and would cost about £35.00. Do you think is too much?

Check out my kits if you have time. Also, my blog has a blaster feature. It was for a new TK who asked me to build a sound and light array.

----------

I'd love to hear back from you on what you think. All garrison members also receive an additional discount. Just PM me for your unique code.

I plan to get my armour finished for the UKG and GK's in the winter months so I can get out and troop! I had to postspone the build due to family commitments.

Cheers,

Rees.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working