Painting Problems

I've been painting my MRCE. When it comes to painting I'm pretty much a newb. For the first time around, it's actually turning out pretty good. However, I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. I've got 3 coats of paint on there, with a coat of primer underneath and sanding between coats. A few spots have developed this type of rippling that doesn't to want to clear up no matter how much I sand it or attempt to spray over it.

Just looking for some advice from some of the experts on here.

zChoO22.jpg

Murray1134 said:

I've been painting my MRCE. When it comes to painting I'm pretty much a newb. For the first time around, it's actually turning out pretty good. However, I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. I've got 3 coats of paint on there, with a coat of primer underneath and sanding between coats. A few spots have developed this type of rippling that doesn't to want to clear up no matter how much I sand it or attempt to spray over it.

Just looking for some advice from some of the experts on here.

youre using the same brand primer and paints right?

youre using the same brand primer and paints right?

No. I really don't like the primer I've got, but the selection in the stores is severely limited. As is the customer service, I asked one clerk for a primer for plastics and he handed me regular grey spray paint. :6:

The brand of paint is Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel, the primer is Valspar. I couldn't find a Rustoleum branded primer that said it was rated for plastic.

Many times different brands of paint and primer don't mix. Check out Home Depot and pick up some Rustoleum Painters Touch white primer. It's great.

Unfortunately for your helmet, there is hope so you don't have to sand and repaint the while thing. Sand it down with new sandpaper until your wet sanding with 800 grit. Then wash the helmet with dish soap and water, rinse it throughly. Then try and paint it. Sometimes the oils in our skin can transfer onto an object and will cause a paint to react too. Also when you paint the helmet use very light coats about 5 minutes apart. The lighter the coat the less time to react before it starts to dry.

Many times different brands of paint and primer don't mix. Check out Home Depot and pick up some Rustoleum Painters Touch white primer. Sand it down with new sandpaper until your wet sanding with 800 grit. Then wash the helmet with dish soap and water, rinse it throughly. Then try and paint it. Sometimes the oils in our skin can transfer onto an object and will cause a paint to react too. Also when you paint the helmet use very light coats about 5 minutes apart. The lighter the coat the less time to react before it starts to dry.

Good to know...... thx for the thread and this post!!!

Many times different brands of paint and primer don't mix. Check out Home Depot and pick up some Rustoleum Painters Touch white primer. It's great.

Unfortunately for your helmet, there is hope so you don't have to sand and repaint the while thing. Sand it down with new sandpaper until your wet sanding with 800 grit. Then wash the helmet with dish soap and water, rinse it throughly. Then try and paint it. Sometimes the oils in our skin can transfer onto an object and will cause a paint to react too. Also when you paint the helmet use very light coats about 5 minutes apart. The lighter the coat the less time to react before it starts to dry.

Thanks for the info Terrel, I'll try that out this weekend.

It looks to me like you might be getting a little too close with the can when you are spraying and trapping the propellants in the finish. When you get it smooth and go for another coat, back up and hit it from a distance and just rain the paint in on it. If you see air bubbles form when the paint hits the helmet your too close. You can blast those air bubbles with another spray and it will look like they go away but as the paint dries they will come back to the surface and leave a texture like what you are getting. I fought that battle with my first white CAP helmet. I dubbed it the "Hell Bucket".

• 2 weeks later...

Your not really suppose to sand between each coat because then your just starting over each time. After youve got it primed and sanded and cleaned you apply each coat within a few minutes of eachother or else the its going to leave half dried paint underneath your last coat which causes problems.