TK Space Variant

Guest Commander Voltaire

Guest Commander Voltaire

I hope all is good folks! I am leaning to doing a classic Death Star TK once my clone commander is completed. I recently recorded ANH off HB0-HD, and my interest was piqued with regard to the two TK's outside the Death Star hanger, when the Falcon gets sucked in by the tractor beam. It seems to me, that the airpack/backpack is similar in design to the Biker Scouts. I havent figured out how to create a High Rez screen cap of this particular scene, and I was wondering if anybody here might be able to grap a HD cap. I would be curious to see if there are any production pics out there, behind the scenes maybe, as well. Thy home work begins!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Commander Voltaire

Hey folks, disregard this topic. I was informed that this variant is considred a Special Ops. I have been re-directed to that site for information and discussion. I will be still hanging here to get the basic armor off the ground thats for sure! And I look forward to learning from all you experts here !

Copying the DL's response to this subject from another thread as I was corrected. Apologies Commander V!

Ā 

The troopers that are outside of the Death Star as the Falcon comes in are stormtroopers with a space pack. The space pack is not fully considered canon as there are not enough detailed reference pix for Thomas (LMO) to establish a standard, though it's certainly possible this may change in the future. Someone said they'd try to make a pack based on some shots. To me it would be an acceptable canon accessory to the TK just like the MG-34 is, or the comlink/grapling hook in lieu of a thermal det. They used to be called spacetroopers because in the past there were no good pix to prove otherwise, and it differentiated them from normal TKs like the label sandtrooper. This is pretty much revealed with the HD screen caps, plus a shot of an unhelmeted trooper with a pack on that was found in a behind the scenes shot.

Ā 

I'm sure the first person to make this pack will earn significant kudos and everlasting fame. smile.gif

Ā 

SpaceTroopers on the other hand are an entirely different costume using very different armor. They are referenced in several sources and are 100% EU and covered in the Spec Ops detachment.

Thanks for the quote Ed. Here are some grabs:

Behind the Scenes

--------------

Ā 

As far as I know, this is all that's there. If you do decide to take this on, be sure to keep us informed. This would be the coolest TK accessory ever. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Guest Commander Voltaire

Thanks for the grabs Daetrin! I remember seeing that behind the scenes shot, with Joe Johnston getting suited, about 6 months ago. I am hoping that new "Making of SW" book will offer up another rare pic or two. Thanks for the support on this gang, and no worries TK 4878, you are doing your job! Good Moderators = accurate and good costumes!

Well, the two humps could be tupperware jugs with the bowls on top and the bottom thing looks like it could be something from the packs. I am not up to par with sandtrooper packs but I know there is at least two variations so I think it's quite possible if you tried to juggle the parts around you could end up with a pretty close space pack. I know that some same parts were used on many different things in starwars it's highly likely the parts are already in use on other costumes or props.

Well, the two humps could be tupperware jugs with the bowls on top and the bottom thing looks like it could be something from the packs. I am not up to par with sandtrooper packs but I know there is at least two variations so I think it's quite possible if you tried to juggle the parts around you could end up with a pretty close space pack. I know that some same parts were used on many different things in starwars it's highly likely the parts are already in use on other costumes or props.

Yeah, i don't see why GL would have used entirely different materials for this pack as apossed to the TD Packs...the movie wasn't made with that kind of budget :unsure:

Got it now - fair enough. It's certainly possible - the TD packs are supposed to have been destroyed after filming, and the Tunisia scenes were filmed first. Even if not cannibalized, considering how many surplus items (tupperware containers, metamucil bottles, oil filters, etc.) went into the TD packs, it's not a stretch to figure the space packs were made the same way.

I thought I'd share this with you as I've just had a phone call then email chat with Andrew Ainsworth about these backbacks. (I work 5 minutes from SDS)

I want to build one too and sent him your screen caps to jog his memory. This is what he had to say

Ā 

Dear John

Hoover wahing machine hoses were common as were camping gaz containers - see top of backpack. That black hose looks a bit more industrial though.

Ā 

Kind Regards

Andrew

Ā 

And yes, you're right about these being made after Tunisia. Our beloved sand friends were made before normal TKs. When they came back from filming in the desert he was asked to modify the legs slightly (hence the shots of some troopers with no legs :)) and he decided to change the sniper plate and also add a few greeblies onto what now have become our ab buttons. I just learned this today. Awesome bit of history!

Ā 

He's a great chap so I've asked him for any close ups of this he may still have. So if I get some, you guys will be the second to know :)

Thanks for sharing that John...nice one :D

Ā 

The CAMPING GAZ canister's are easily found in DIY and outdoor stores and there are a few different sizes to choose from. Now to find the other bits ;)

Ā 

-Paul.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

troopermaster said:
The CAMPING GAZ canister's are easily found in DIY and outdoor stores and there are a few different sizes to choose from. Now to find the other bits ;)

Ā 

-Paul.

Ā 

Ah, "Paul" <Lights goes on> Hello sir! :)

Ā 

Toilet parts were also used often too. Maybe for this...? The cisterns and internal gubbins etc. I'm hoping I get a close up from him, but a totally great find of the back stage shot of the space TK. Ace find

Ā 

Hey, lets make sure these are Gaz tanks are empty first hey. Or we may very well end up being space troopers!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I was informed that this variant is considred a Special Ops. I have been re-directed to that site for information and discussion.

Ā 

Ā 

Hey Commander Voltaire, where is this special ops site dude? I'm sure we'de all like a look too :)

Hey Commander Voltaire, where is this special ops site dude? I'm sure we'de all like a look too :)

Ā 

All the dets are listed here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=436

Ā 

Spec Ops is here:

http://501stspecops.com/

Ā 

Spec Ops Forums are here:

http://s11.invisionfree.com/501st_Spec_Ops...dex.php?act=idx

Ā 

Yes, Space Troopers are definitely EU.

Just to beat a dead horse - what we see in ANH are not spacetroopers. They are TK's with a space pack.

Ā 

ANH = TK with space pack = FISD

EU = spacetrooper = Spec Ops

Ayup John :D

Ā 

You know what, I thought the bottom part of the pack looked like a toilet cistern. I'll have to look around B&Q next time I'm in.

Ā 

Ā 

Let me know how you get on.

Ā 

Daetrin, thanks for the info. Isn't much there though and that link to RPF doesn't work :(

FISD? What does that mean sir?

FISD = First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment = us, e.g. any info on the space pack would be here instead of over at the Spec Ops detachment, which covers EU troopers. In the past it's been that spacetrooper was used to refer to both, but they really aren't the same thing as you can see. It's great that more attention is finally being brought to bear on this, one of the more elusive details of ANH.