Invasion Earth

kiyotei

[Edit] Let me rephrase my question. I am only referring to a Star Wars scenario. Forget Earth. In the Clone wars tv show and movie, how could the Federation conquer a single planet? What would it take to control an entire planet?

OK, this is aimed at you military guys out there. I've been watching the Clone cartoon show and was thinking, what would it take to invade a planet? Figure most inhabital planets are gonna be Earth like. The shear size of a planet and a population in the billions would require a massive ground assault. If you look at just the Earth, the bigger countries have armies that have several million service men (includes support personel). I was thinking the only way you could really conquer a planet would be to have a space ship that had the fire power to destroy whole cities in a single shot. I just can't imagine any type of ground assault working. What do those with military knowledge think?

I guess it depends on what your objective is, and how "moral" you are. You could always use a viral or chemical weapon to wipe out most life, if you're only going for resources. For ground assault, it probably wouldn't be that bad for the attacker. Look at most scenarios where a more advanced force has attempted it. Technology usually wins out, unless you are WWII Russians against Germans, or Bugs from Starship Troopers. Theoretically, an invading extra-terrestrial force would be several tech-generations ahead of us. Shields, energy weapons, maybe even some kind of psy-weapon. They could establish a shielded foothold and just move out at thier leisure.

Let me rephrase my question. I am only referring to a Star Wars scenario. Forget Earth. In the Clone wars tv show and movie, how could the Federation conquer a single planet? What would it take to control an entire planet?

Ah, well, that changes things then. I guess it still depends on the objective. Worlds like Hoth wouldn't need much of an assault force or garrision, where as someplace heavily populated would take massive orbital devastation to force the population into submission. It would also depend on how resistant the current population was. Someplace with a strong individualist society like in the Corellian system would probably be much harder to take and hold than those wussy Alderaanians.

It would be a tough campaign against a high tech civilization. Here's a task list of essentials.

1.) Knock out communications

2.) Destroy Power plants

3.) Destroy military installations

4.) Occupy major cities

5.) Establish concentration camps for the population.

6.) Occupy minor cities

7.) Control food and fuel supplies

It would take millions of battle droids to occupy an entire planet. If you could destroy their food supply you could starve them into submission in a week.

That is if you are interested in the territory. If not you could just stear a giant asteroid at the planet and move on.

You do it by indentifying, controlling and/or destroying the planet's "centers of gravity." Political/military leadership, economic/industrial centers, vital communications links, key goverment facilities, etc. Apply your forces where they will have maximum effect at minimum cost.

Think of the "shatterpoint" technique in Star Wars lore. Attack the right points, and the whole thing collapses, whether it's a person, machine, or an entire society.

You do it by indentifying, controlling and/or destroying the planet's "centers of gravity." Political/military leadership, economic/industrial centers, vital communications links, key goverment facilities, etc. Apply your forces where they will have maximum effect at minimum cost.

Think of the "shatterpoint" technique in Star Wars lore. Attack the right points, and the whole thing collapses, whether it's a person, machine, or an entire society.

Probably the best strategy and you don't necessarily have to fire a single weapon if done covertly. Of course, in taking a cue from the real world you could hold them by their economic shorthairs by propping up their government with treasury bonds to finance their spiraling debt for maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. Then when the time's ripe, cash them out so there's a flight of currency to the point their government and markets can't function. Then just sit back and watch the implosion.

Sorry not too SW a scenario I'm afraid.

Probably the best strategy and you don't necessarily have to fire a single weapon if done covertly. Of course, in taking a cue from the real world you could hold them by their economic shorthairs by propping up their government with treasury bonds to finance their spiraling debt for maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. Then when the time's ripe, cash them out so there's a flight of currency to the point their government and markets can't function. Then just sit back and watch the implosion.

Ah Man, I'm watching that movie right now on the evening news. Wait! that's not a movie! Crap!

No, but certainly is based on a working strategy. There is no way you can control a planet with only 1,000,000 soldiers in the classical sense of boots on the ground. What you really do is take over the governments and control major infrastructure like banking and energy, and the threat of the occasional nuke. As long as the government that's taking over isn't doing a much worse job, most people will just go about their lives.

First is "why" take the planet. To deny the Republic a planet? As part of a plan of "terror"? For resources? When you have a plan, then work to that type of plan. Send in recon units. As has been stated, find "shatter" point's, key city's, industrial centers. Land bat-droid's and set up holding or forward operating centers. Land thing's like mobile droid manufacturing unit's to make up losses untill you controll most planet side centers. Note, droids don't need water/food as such so try to take main centers of distribution point's for them. Remember move offensively, set up F.O.A, fight defensively. Let them come to you. Beat them down, then move your area of controll a bit more. Use SD's in orbit to track and plot large troop unit's and you may take the larger ones out with SD fire. Five SD's with full ground troop/armor should do. CONTROLL THE AIR, and orbit of the planet. Note- "Star Distroyer" can mean any large Sep or GAR fleet ship of same size.

No, but certainly is based on a working strategy. There is no way you can control a planet with only 1,000,000 soldiers in the classical sense of boots on the ground. What you really do is take over the governments and control major infrastructure like banking and energy, and the threat of the occasional nuke. As long as the government that's taking over isn't doing a much worse job, most people will just go about their lives.

In this case it's only 574 people causing trouble for 30,000,000. How many of those 30,000,000 with pitch forks and and torches would it take to fire all 574?

• 4 months later...

I think what we are suppost to take for granted and we arent, is that the concept of Plantary warfare is a given..... what we see in the screen of movie is only the high lights of the Global campain. i imagine that attacks in utapu were huge, massive, of planatary proportions, i dont think that the entire sep. army was in that one sink hole.......

i also think that a "ground assult" we ar talking about tens of millions of units ( droids, stromtroopes etc)

can any one get stats on a SD and the other large class ship the Empire has.....??? as far as transport capabilities etc. Also a full equiped and operational DS what is the number of ppl, ships transports etc?

i also think that a "ground assult" we ar talking about tens of millions of units ( droids, stromtroopes etc)

I know in the Republic Commando books, there was mention of MILLIONS of battle droids that were never seen by the GAR. One of the recon trips they figured out some obscene number of droids that were being produced, and figured they could be overrun rather quickly, seeing putting droids together is a lot faster than growing clones.

Plus, lets not forget that Palps was playing both sides, only to scatter the resources of the Jedi, not to really take over planets.

Venator class SDs (Clone War)

Crew 7,400

Passengers 2,000 troops

Victory class SDs (Episodes IV-VI)

Crew

o Officers (610)

o Enlisted (4,590)

+ Gunners (402)

Minimum crew 1,785

Passengers 2,040 (troops)

Death Star

crew of 265675, plus 52276 gunners, 607360 troops