Equipment Needed?

You'll need a good pair of scissors, hobby knife, and a dremel is really handy to trim it out, fine sandpaper to hit the edges (800 grit), quality glue like E-6000 Devcon plastic welder or ABS cement. Of course you'll need strapping material, while industrial velcro, and some snaps.

That ought to get you started.

I know this will make me sound like an incredible Pollyanna, but I'd also recommend getting safety glasses and a pair of heavy work gloves.

After nearly taking out my eye with a shard of plastic flying off the Dremel, and hacking into my thumb with a cutting disc on the same tool, I won't be working on another armor kit without those two items. :P

Johnnymac's list is pretty comprehensive-- nice of you to share!

You may also want to get a couple sheets of styrene to make tabs for your snaps.

A small amount of white paint or even White-Out, for the rivets in the knees and ab/kidney plates.

Dark grey and dark blue paint for the ab buttons.

If you're going for Elite status, you'll want to pick up some 2" white nylon webbing for the shoulder straps and the drop boxes.

Also some small white elastic ties to secure the back of the free-floating shoulder straps, if you're doing an ANH suit.

A lot of people highly recommend using plastic welder on the joints if you're going to do the butt-and-strip method, as opposed to using the ROTJ overlaps.

I've also found that ripping out the liner from a Wilson youth batting helmet and putting it inside the bucket works really well, and is more comfortable than a hard-hat liner, in my opinion.

I'd also get a bottle of Novus ABS polish-- helps protect the plastic, and fills in any fine scratches.

That's all I can think to add.

I know this will make me sound like an incredible Pollyanna, but I'd also recommend getting safety glasses and a pair of heavy work gloves.

After nearly taking out my eye with a shard of plastic flying off the Dremel,

Snap.
and hacking into my thumb with a cutting disc on the same tool,
Snap.
I won't be working on another armor kit without those two items. :P
Snap! :lol:

So glad the pain and misfortune of others can keep you entertained, Aaron. :D

Nice to see you find time to peruse the message board between kicking puppies and telling parents their baby is ugly. :P

If you're going for Elite status, you'll want to pick up some 2" white nylon webbing for the shoulder straps and the drop boxes.

Also some small white elastic ties to secure the back of the free-floating shoulder straps, if you're doing an ANH suit.

Actually one inch strap on the drop boxes.

I do use safety glasses, but I can't stand gloves. I don't have as much fine control with them, and to me a few cuts is worth it. :D

Actually one inch strap on the drop boxes.

I do use safety glasses, but I can't stand gloves. I don't have as much fine control with them, and to me a few cuts is worth it. :D

Doh!

But then again, I'm the dude who can't use simple tools without hurting myself, so my advice is probably best ignored. :D

So glad the pain and misfortune of others can keep you entertained, Aaron. :D

Nice to see you find time to peruse the message board between kicking puppies and telling parents their baby is ugly. :P

I think 'snap' must mean something different to you than it does to me. I meant it as ditto! :lol: I've injured myself the same way. :rolleyes:

I think 'snap' must mean something different to you than it does to me. I meant it as ditto! :lol: I've injured myself the same way. :rolleyes:

Hehe... You wacky Scotsmen, with your hip lingo. :D

In the States, "Snap" has come to be used as a slang word that indicates you've been insulted...

As in, "I don't want to imply that your Mom is trashy, but when they bury her, they'll need to use a "Y"-shaped coffin."

"OH, SNAP!"

It's just one of many wonderful ways Americans have found to completely defile the English language.

We're good at that over here. It's kind of a hobby for us. :D

So-- here I was, thinking you were razzing me, when you were just tryin' to empathize.

My bad. :blush: Sorry, mate! :P