For those of us with no experience.

I'm not exactly a cosplayer. I don't own and have never owned any complete and truly intricate costumes before. So now I ask you, what do I do? More specifically...

Which is generally better, buying a pre-made costume or building one?

How much do adequate-nice pre-made ones generally go for?

How much do all of the necessary bits and pieces of a home made costume generally go for in total?

About how much time, effort, and skill does it take to make your own costume?

Are there any places in particular I should look at for ready made costumes/parts of costumes?

Ummm, that's all I can think of for now, but don't worry, there'll be plenty more where that came from in the near future. And please, don't pile on if all of the answers to all of these questions have been posted elsewhere, because I certainly couldn't find them in any one neat and concise spot. I also realize that most of these questions are subjective. Good, it would be nice to see various opinions on the subject.

Building it yourself will always fit and look better than buying it that way. Many of your questions can be answered here:

Getting Started

Welcome to the FISD.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

By building it yourself you will not only get an armour that fits your frame best, but you will also get the feeling of building something truly awesome.

I didn't have much experience with modeling before starting this, but boy did I learn. And by making a build-thread here and asking alot of questions there will be almost no problems.

Build one yourself, it's the way to go.

Pre made is fine, but it wont fit you some where on the suit :o

My SDS was pre made and had to cut and shim every part to fit me, mainly for your build or the fact they pinch like crazy if you dont.

Its really not that hard to do :) But treat yourself to a dremel, worth ther weight in gold :)

ive been told many times that there is nothing like you own, fitted suit. Buying one on ebay or other places, can backfire if the person who built it isnt you exact height/weight, and you rist quality and care to that of another. When you do it yourself or with help of the members you can choose out of the many different styles and ways to adapt for what would best suit you without sacrificing quality.

For armor costumes, the armor itself comes in a kit form and you then build it up to fit your body. When browsing the forums you'll see lots of acronyms (FX, TE2, AP, etc.) these are the armor makers. If you see something you like, send a PM for more info.

We were all new at this once.

Pre made is fine, but it wont fit you some where on the suit :o

My SDS was pre made and had to cut and shim every part to fit me, mainly for your build or the fact they pinch like crazy if you dont.

Its really not that hard to do :) But treat yourself to a dremel, worth ther weight in gold :)

I totally agree Marcel. I have had to shim the sides, and the thighs and cut 2cm off the thighs and calfs. I was so scared to do this at first, but it's getting easier and easier. For the price paid, the SDS still needs a fair amount of upgrading. The strapping system is garbage, tha ab buttons too. It is uber glossy though! :D