Jefoid's RS ANH Hero Stormtrooper Centurion Build. First timer.

jefoid

Hi All.  

Well, the title says it.  I've been lurking for a while and posted a few times here and on the Dune Sea Garrison Forums.  (I'm in the US, in Arizona) I have pulled the trigger on an RS kit, including the hero helmet and strapping package.  It now sits before me.  I was reliably informed it would take months to get a kit!  It took less than one!  (OK, that's on me)  Anyway, I've wanted to be a Stormtrooper since about 5 minutes into the movie in 1977, so I am pretty determined to make this happen.  I am somewhat deliriously happy right now. Everyone on the forums has encouraged me to go for Guardian, so here I am in all my spectacular ignorance.  I wrote that title, so I'm committed.

I'll take a second to introduce myself, as my intent here is to post the entire process, regardless of how foolish it makes me look.  I consider myself a fairly handy person in general.  I have some experience with 3D modeling, 3D printing and woodworking.  I have a pretty good assortment of tools and probably not enough clamps.  That's about all my assets except determination and all of you.  I have never done anything remotely like this.  However, in the short time I have spent meeting the folks in the Dune Sea Garrison I have become determined to join the 501st, and do it with Guardian armor.  It seems like a great group and a great cause.

So, I received the box earlier today, but was working.  I just peaked in it, made sure it wasn't smashed or anything, panicked, put it back and took this picture.  And here we are.  No one needs to tell me to go slow.  I'm pretty much paralyzed right now.  If it's not too early, may I begin peppering the stupid questions?  I have read through many build threads, but they're all so skilled.  

• How prone are the pieces to scuffing?  This project is going to take months to complete.  I know the armor is going to get scuffed when worn, so how careful do I need to be during construction?
  • How prone are they to cracking?  The set I have is ABS.  I think it is 90 mil?  How worried do I need to be as I shape the parts?  It seems like they need to be handled pretty roughly.  I really don't want to have to buy replacement parts.  
  • I have been assured several times along the way that the RS kit is a good size for me.  I weigh 175 pounds and I am 5'-9 1/2" or so.  (79kg and 175cm)  Any reason this shouldn't be the case, now that it's too late?
  • Speaking of the above, I intend to use metric in this build, as most of the tutorials do.  Unless that's a bad idea for some reason.

Well, that's it for now.  My next step is to open and categorize everything.  I should be able to handle that without destroying anything.  I'll post photos of "everything," whatever that is, as soon as I can.  Looking forward to the experience ahead.  

Uh, Tentatively Toward Glory!

or something like that.

Jefoid

PXL_20240413_032411145.jpg

• Like 1

• How prone are the pieces to scuffing?  This project is going to take months to complete.  I know the armor is going to get scuffed when worn, so how careful do I need to be during construction? The armor can scratch easily so take care how you handle it. You do get scuffs over the years, especially forearms as they brush or rest against the armor, some can be polished but some are just too deep, when mine got too scratch (10 years of trooping) I converted to a Sandtrooper and built a new Stormtrooper.
  • How prone are they to cracking?  The set I have is ABS.  I think it is 90 mil?  How worried do I need to be as I shape the parts?  It seems like they need to be handled pretty roughly.  I really don't want to have to buy replacement parts.  RS is a little thinner than other armor makes, just take a little care how you handle it. Also depends on how active you will be trooping, the more bending the plastic has the more likely it may crack.
  • I have been assured several times along the way that the RS kit is a good size for me.  I weigh 175 pounds and I am 5'-9 1/2" or so.  (79kg and 175cm)  Any reason this shouldn't be the case, now that it's too late? Most armor will fit your size
  • Speaking of the above, I intend to use metric in this build, as most of the tutorials do.  Unless that's a bad idea for some reason. No issues using metric, gallery area also has metric 

A great thread full of helpful links for building

Welcome to the amazing world of plastic spacemen Jeffrey.  Glad to have you here and looking forward to following your build. Never feel bad about asking questions. We all had them at some point.  My first issue perplexing me was the fit of my biceps.  When I asked for help, I was gently and politely told that they were on upside down.  Everyone here wants to see you succeed.

9 hours ago, JeffD said:

What is the best kind od pop rivet tool to use for armor building?

Im confused about where to use rivets versus glue...

Did you read the links I posed?

Hi Jeffrey,

The very best of luck with your build.

I’ve just completed my first build (which was also RS) and it was a wonderful experience. It took just under 2 years for various reasons but so worthwhile.  

My advice?

1. Embrace the expert opinions and recommendations here on this forum.
  2. When you get frustrated, walk away and take a breath.
  3. Don’t build when you’re too tired (I so nearly made a critical mistake when working on my armour after a long working day).
  4. Measure twice, cut once (or in my case, measure 10 times, sleep on it, measure 10 more times, then cut 🫣)
  5. Don’t do anything if you’re unsure. Post a question on here and get the help you need.

I look forward to seeing your build and enjoy the journey!

Tim

Hi Jeff, welcome to FISD.

As you are fast realising, there are plenty of members here more than happy to answer all your questions.

Do ask as many as you need, advice will continue to come.

I hope you enjoy your new journey to becoming a Stormtrooper.

Thank you Tim and Sly11!

You both encourage me.  It goes a long way to feel welcomed like this.

I really appreciate it!

Ordered the rivets and washers with guidance from FISD threads.  Was a big help.

Next step will be the rivet gun itself.

Slowly building up my tool chest for the armor.

• Like 1

Great to here, make sure you do your research so you are ready to go, this thread pretty much covers most of builders questions