My First TK Build! ANH Stunt

I am starting my first TK build and have a lot of questions.. just trying to find where to ask them! I’m working on LVL 3 for my ANH TK from WTF. I have assembled the helmet but am now looking to start painting it. Here is my progress so far! Also I want to know if I can use https://trooperbay.com/product/dave-m-helmet-hand-painted-look-decals-anh-stormtrooper-star-trooper-wars-cosplay/ for my decals for level 3 since it says “must look hand painted”. I’m fine painting everything else just not the tube stripes or the grilles with the black stripes. Thank you for any help you can provide! Also please let me know if I’m not posting in the right place! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, THEREALWarr1895 said:

https://imgur.com/a/GlDCpdo

hopefully this works for photos!

Try and use the "direct link", this thread may be of help 

96XOEVP.jpeg

Your thread is right in the place it's needed ;) 

Helmet ears look a touch wide

Dave M decals are the hand made look

Some helmet info:

ears

Some references of screen helmets, many had gaps ;) 

LFL_Storm_Stunt01.thumb.jpg.b5432a52180224205abe1c1da889f418.jpgDaveMANH06.jpg.4eac782b9cd4f28f87f18e6eb2884f70.jpgDaveMANH08.jpg.a6a412e011e4ca6b003e41850bbd9351.jpgDaveMANH01.jpg.a906b36c1094d0012a9ecf8759fcb43e.jpgoriginal-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg.453c129e60fed2dee24426ba28219544.jpg

mDDsy4w.jpg

Although this comes with the caveat that I have never built beyond basic approval, I have had success with hand painting the black lines in the tears and trapezoids of the helmet using a paint marker. I did so because I had difficulty controlling paint on a paint brush for this fine of a detail. Although, I know different paints are discussed in reference to L3, so someone may have to correct me if this is not acceptable beyond basic.

I am not sure where you are located, but if in the U.S. you should be able to find the paint marker below in the craft supplies section of Walmart.

31cdHHX.jpg

Edited by Tilheyra
  • Like 2

Thank you both on replying so quickly! The paint pen would be a life saver.. hopefully someone will be able to clarify that! And thank you staffer for all the links! I do not look forward to touching the ears again.. but if I must I must and were you able to check if that linked sticker pack would be acceptable for level 3? I may try painting first but I want a backup! Thank you both again!

1 hour ago, THEREALWarr1895 said:

Thank you both on replying so quickly! The paint pen would be a life saver.. hopefully someone will be able to clarify that! And thank you staffer for all the links! I do not look forward to touching the ears again.. but if I must I must and were you able to check if that linked sticker pack would be acceptable for level 3? I may try painting first but I want a backup! Thank you both again!

Those stickers are acceptable for L3.

I used a permanent marker to straighten some of lines, made life a lot easier. 

Take note of the length of some lines and spacing if you hand paint. 

If using humbrol paint you may need 2 or 3 coats, better thin as the paint can wrinkle when drying if it's applied too thick.

The fall of the blue tube stripes is important, hence the photo reference, also make sure placing is a pencil width from the sides.

• Like 1

Overall a really nice job on your bucket build, Wil!  :jc_doublethumbup:  I would definitely think about taking Glen's advice on the ear trimming, though.  It may pass at Basic but would be a ding at Level 2.  Just follow the same lines along the back (a little at a time) and you should be golden.  Looking forward to seeing the results!

1W9D9EZ.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, THEREALWarr1895 said:

https://imgur.com/a/aHrYRB4

sorry not on my computer to get that other type of link… but are my ears too high? I’m looking into making them thinner but I just wanted to make sure what when I trim it thinner I don’t need to also lower it. Thank you 

In the Imgur link I posted previously it gives you a way to do it in the mobile version, some just click, copy and paste. The angles aren't too bad but it's the width which are a little wide. You can also make the screws sit a bit lower by slowly rotating a bigger drill bit by hand to make a recess. 

mdlcDnj.jpeg

This is the ideal angle:

Note:  Top ear screws should ideally be located directly below the rear of the trap.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Also check your brow trim height:

In looking at the images below, please notice that the ANH-Stunt brow generally sits higher above the eye openings, while the Hero brow typically tends to sit lower.

ANH Stunt

WI2bP5F.jpg?1  Mcn1ygN.jpg?1  oZJo3tr.jpg?2

22 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

In the Imgur link I posted previously it gives you a way to do it in the mobile version, some just click, copy and paste. The angles aren't too bad but it's the width which are a little wide. You can also make the screws sit a bit lower by slowly rotating a bigger drill bit by hand to make a recess. 

mdlcDnj.jpeg

This is the ideal angle:

Note:  Top ear screws should ideally be located directly below the rear of the trap.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Also check your brow trim height:

In looking at the images below, please notice that the ANH-Stunt brow generally sits higher above the eye openings, while the Hero brow typically tends to sit lower.

ANH Stunt

WI2bP5F.jpg?1  Mcn1ygN.jpg?1  oZJo3tr.jpg?2

Is that something where I need to realign the two halves to make it higher or do I need to cut down the plastic under the rubber? Also if the number 15 paint works I’ll order that today. Thank you again for your help!

also hopefully this photo coping works!

dzDotkU.jpeg

MCWCK5g.jpeg
AMU1jIR.jpeg

Two things can adjust the brow, undoing side screws and tilting the faceplate downwards (but this makes the hole smaller to fit your head through) or as you stated, trimming the brow plastic a little more.

MCWCK5g.thumb.jpeg.0b08aebdfcaab67e114ad006bad8bf5d.jpeg

Paints are:

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Two things can adjust the brow, undoing side screws and tilting the faceplate downwards (but this makes the hole smaller to fit your head through) or as you stated, trimming the brow plastic a little more.

MCWCK5g.thumb.jpeg.0b08aebdfcaab67e114ad006bad8bf5d.jpeg

Paints are:

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

Thank you so much! I’ll get that trimmed and get the paint ordered! Hopefully have some more updates over the next two weeks! 

• Like 1

The only issue may be your brow trim length, it's a little short and this may change again by trimming the brow area

Note the brow trim is just in the corner on top of your ear, compare with these images

oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

mdlcDnj.thumb.jpeg.7e6bd85099a05ef62813e4c7f403e7c8.jpeg

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

The only issue may be your brow trim length, it's a little short and this may change again by trimming the brow area

Note the brow trim is just in the corner on top of your ear, compare with these images

oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

mdlcDnj.thumb.jpeg.7e6bd85099a05ef62813e4c7f403e7c8.jpeg

Well that stinks.. is there a place I can buy a new one that will meet certification? Thank you for pointing it out early for me so I can get another one ordered. 

7 hours ago, THEREALWarr1895 said:

Well that stinks.. is there a place I can buy a new one that will meet certification? Thank you for pointing it out early for me so I can get another one ordered. 

Either purchase from the kit supplier or do an online search for rubber suppliers close to you, or trooperbay https://trooperbay.com/?s=brow+trim

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 4:03 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Overall a really nice job on your bucket build, Wil!  :jc_doublethumbup:  I would definitely think about taking Glen's advice on the ear trimming, though.  It may pass at Basic but would be a ding at Level 2.  Just follow the same lines along the back (a little at a time) and you should be golden.  Looking forward to seeing the results!

1W9D9EZ.jpg

I still have the left side to do but I have updated the brow (also hopefully the rubber is long enough?). But let me know if these fixes are good enough and I’ll try and match the other ear when I get more time! 

1aqrMv6.jpeg
kMbSuuc.jpeg

HYJ1Ruk.jpeg
9VXAty3.jpeg

9C33R0Q.jpeg
hzSWnlD.jpeg

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Here is the left side, is this gap ok? I took off a lot of meat but it was hard getting the ear pulled to the helmet fully with the required screw placement. 

oY1loxL.jpeg

cvjDVfb.jpegCbFb3nZ.jpeg16FFVKX.jpeglZhzz2r.jpeg

I tried to get the angle of it correct but if I leaned it any further the fasteners underneath would’ve been exposed.. Thank you in advance. If this looks like it could pass I’ll move onto painting! 

Some makes of helmet may not allow the "ideal" ear placement hence it's not a requirement only recommended.

To reduce the gap on the cheek you would trim the top area, also adding a step will allow the ear to come down further at the front.

cap ear fit.png

You could leave it how it is, some like them tighter, some screen used helmets did have large gaps

xiAkQdD.png

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Some makes of helmet may not allow the "ideal" ear placement hence it's not a requirement only recommended.

To reduce the gap on the cheek you would trim the top area, also adding a step will allow the ear to come down further at the front.

cap ear fit.png

You could leave it how it is, some like them tighter, some screen used helmets did have large gaps

xiAkQdD.png

Yeah I read that before, I actually do have the large step in mine.. unfortunately I messed up one of my ears so I’m stuck with this one. So if you think it can pass I’ll start the paint! Thank you for the clarification, I guess the gaps make it look more movie accurate.

1 hour ago, THEREALWarr1895 said:

Yeah I read that before, I actually do have the large step in mine.. unfortunately I messed up one of my ears so I’m stuck with this one. So if you think it can pass I’ll start the paint! Thank you for the clarification, I guess the gaps make it look more movie accurate.

You can always check with your GML as they will ultimately be the ones looking after your costume approval ;)