Looking for a good first order storm trooper file to 3d print

Hello all. I am starting my cosplay journey 3d printing first order storm trooper armor. I have looked all over but I cannot find a file for first order armor that other people recommend. What had worked for you or what armor file do you know has been approved for the 501st?

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

My friend used that and was cleared.  Though It was a TON of work and he's now replacing it with a Denuo Novo vac form kit for comfort reasons.

The helmet is also a bit fussy, and around 10% over sized.  I've got one mostly printed.  My friend modified a Black Series helmet instead.

This isn't intended to tell you no, more just let you know what you are in for.

• Like 2

It's been asked and answered at length, and it's probably not what you want to hear, but in short - the juice really isn't worth the squeeze to print a full set of Stormtrooper armor at this time, IMO.

The available files aren't very accurate, slicing and re-joining large parts that need to flex is not practical, and there are several options available in ABS at a reasonable price point. You will likely spend the same amount of money on filament/resin, WAY more time filling, sanding, and painting, and still end up with an inferior product that is less accurate in appearance and less durable by comparison. It can be done, but it would take a real passion for the project.

There is a reason we have not seen a single 3D printed suit come across for approval here on the forums, though it does depend on your local GML's application of the CRL standards at Basic if one can be approved at all. But it is not common. Some day, as printers get bigger and prices come down, maybe. /$0.02

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, abraham said:

What is the process of making the abs vacuform kits? Do you just trim the plastic and then put it together?

I'd suggest having a look at a few builds to see just what you are in for, some areas need to be filled, you can use ABS paste but it does take some work or you can fill with glues or filler but this would require painting, using ABS paste does not.

DN kit builds:

How to make ABS paste

Check out our Vendors list for First Order armour and accessories.

You have options with what you buy and where it is made, so i'm sure if you venture down this path, you will find something that suits you