ANH E-11 Hero "Live" Version

gmrhodes13

Just when you think you've seen everything, down another rabbit hole, here's an odd E-11, this Hero "Live" version has a missing T-track on the right side of the barrel and added T-track pieces to the left side around the lug. Does appear there is missing paint on the right side were the T-track would have been glued. I could imagine this mod may have been carried out so when it was fired it would expel barrel flash on the outside of the wearer (if holding right handed) but who knows.

lf(1).thumb.jpg.e150e1f05a91adba0230c30a64382fce.jpg

lf(2).thumb.jpg.b36c3a4bf92e85f4ac942b6c27d8643a.jpg

T-tracks and grip also have some weathering, these had been known as plastic so shouldn't of had any weathering.

lf(3).thumb.jpg.4d97934ac3910cc0f6807082022c09b3.jpg

lf.thumb.jpg.a5275cbe5a0f789be304b0047d575fc2.jpg

Comes with a letter of authenticity.

lf(5).thumb.jpg.f5f39184aaacad212d8ee72f8e417fc1.jpg

lf(4).thumb.jpg.79fd5831cc29d32c5f36ba680f3a6f33.jpg

Description

Imperial Stormtrooper Hero E-11 Blaster from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope with Signed LOA from Producer Gary Kurtz (TCF, 1977). This screen used blaster is one of the "live" weapons used during the filming of Star Wars. Bapty & Co., the legendary British movie weapon makers/suppliers, based this weapon on a British Sterling submachine gun which was dressed for the studio. Loaded with blank ammunition during filming, it produced realistic smoke and recoil effects when fired, making the actors look as though they were actually firing laser bolts. Included with the Blaster is a signed LOA from Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz stating (in part): "This is to confirm that the Stormtrooper blaster prop you have purchased is from my film archive. This was one of the 'live' weapons used during filming of Star Wars. Once filming had finished the guns were returned to the weapons hire company which had loaned them to the production. All extraneous parts and dressings added for the filming were removed and the guns went back into the company's armoury. This gun is the original Sterling sub machine gun used in Star Wars, and the additional dressing (sight, grips, cut down cartridge casing, etc.) are also all original film used pieces. The only replacement piece is the metal bracket holding the scope to the body of the gun. This gun has been deactivated and restored to its original screen used condition as seen in Star Wars. This Stormtrooper Sterling machine gun is one of those guns (now deactivated to conform to British firearms regulations), bought back by the Kurtz / Joiner archive in 2003..." Measures 19.5 in. long. Exhibits production use with scuffing to black paint with some oxidation to exposed metal parts. Comes with the original deactivation certificate issued to Bapty when the weapon was rendered non-firing. Provenance: Profiles in History Hollywood Auction 22, July 29, 2005, Lot 171.5 Comes with a COA from Heritage Auctions.

Auction link

I had thought this could possibly be the actual blaster as you can see light on the right side of the barrel so it appears to be missing a T-track BUT it has a different scope (lug on right side of scope)

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10379.thumb.jpg.4ad4dfc9e895fdcce454230c73f2e618.jpg

A small amount of barrel light here too so appears this blaster is also missing a T-track

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10394(1).thumb.jpg.6e3e58720320b5105feeda7a9d412f10.jpg

If anyone does have any images of this "Live" version blaster please do share them.

46 years on and we are still finding details.

• Like 4

Here's another "Live" version, this one with missing T-track on the right and no additional T-track on the left side, no lug either, this would probably explain light coming through. 

lf(2).thumb.jpg.0b5377d73b60d72d21f6b9b2999e69e3.jpg

lf(1).thumb.jpg.d50156825fa59430728a510f6c7bca69.jpg

No T-Track weathering

lf.thumb.jpg.b7587797a197ae80dc2cf0ef723ececc.jpg

This one does have the scope lug

lf(4).jpg.7cc11094e7a252f5baf87aea4f1060c3.jpg

No OFF on magazine end plate

lf(5).jpg.2068e7d4efdeef221596e72e6d798f30.jpg

Description

Original screen used hero E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. (TCF, 1977) The E-11 blaster is the standard weapon of the Imperial Stormtroopers due to its compact design and formidable firepower. This screen used blaster is one of the "live" weapons used during the filming of Star Wars. Bapty & Co., the legendary British movie weapon makers/suppliers, based this weapon on a British Sterling submachine gun which was dressed for the studio. Loaded with blank ammunition during filming, it produced realistic smoke and recoil effects when fired, making the actors look as though they were actually firing laser bolts. Following the weapon's use in Star Wars, Bapty removed the studio dressing t-shaped polymer "vent fins" spanning the length of the barrel as well as the scope and scope rail. A vintage replacement scope was fitted with a replicated rail and vent fins returning the weapon to its screen appearance. Measures 19.5 in. long. Comes with the original deactivation certificate issued to Bapty when the weapon was rendered non-firing. A rare piece of original Star Wars screen used weaponry.

SOLD ON JUN 29, 2016 FOR: $28,800.00

• Like 2

The descriptions make it sound like these guns were completely rebuilt. Chances of figuring out which they were on screen is likely zero since they were completely stripped before being returned to Bapty.

From the first blaster:

This gun is the original Sterling sub machine gun used in Star Wars, and the additional dressing (sight, grips, cut down cartridge casing, etc.) are also all original film used pieces

and from the second:

Following the weapon's use in Star Wars, Bapty removed the studio dressing t-shaped polymer "vent fins" spanning the length of the barrel as well as the scope and scope rail. A vintage replacement scope was fitted with a replicated rail and vent fins returning the weapon to its screen appearance.

To me it sounds like rebuilds. Not that it makes these any less awesome, just that it would likely render them not traceable to screen captures.

And all that said, HOLY HECK THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! I dearly love seeing this kind of thing. Thanks for posting Glen!

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just when you think you've seen everything, down another rabbit hole, here's an odd E-11, this Hero "Live" version has a missing T-track on the right side of the barrel and added T-track pieces to the left side around the lug. Does appear there is missing paint on the right side were the T-track would have been glued. I could imagine this mod may have been carried out so when it was fired it would expel barrel flash on the outside of the wearer (if holding right handed) but who knows.

lf(1).thumb.jpg.e150e1f05a91adba0230c30a64382fce.jpg

lf(2).thumb.jpg.b36c3a4bf92e85f4ac942b6c27d8643a.jpg

T-tracks and grip also have some weathering, these had been known as plastic so shouldn't of had any weathering.

lf(3).thumb.jpg.4d97934ac3910cc0f6807082022c09b3.jpg

lf.thumb.jpg.a5275cbe5a0f789be304b0047d575fc2.jpg

Comes with a letter of authenticity.

lf(5).thumb.jpg.f5f39184aaacad212d8ee72f8e417fc1.jpg

lf(4).thumb.jpg.79fd5831cc29d32c5f36ba680f3a6f33.jpg

Description

Imperial Stormtrooper Hero E-11 Blaster from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope with Signed LOA from Producer Gary Kurtz (TCF, 1977). This screen used blaster is one of the "live" weapons used during the filming of Star Wars. Bapty & Co., the legendary British movie weapon makers/suppliers, based this weapon on a British Sterling submachine gun which was dressed for the studio. Loaded with blank ammunition during filming, it produced realistic smoke and recoil effects when fired, making the actors look as though they were actually firing laser bolts. Included with the Blaster is a signed LOA from Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz stating (in part): "This is to confirm that the Stormtrooper blaster prop you have purchased is from my film archive. This was one of the 'live' weapons used during filming of Star Wars. Once filming had finished the guns were returned to the weapons hire company which had loaned them to the production. All extraneous parts and dressings added for the filming were removed and the guns went back into the company's armoury. This gun is the original Sterling sub machine gun used in Star Wars, and the additional dressing (sight, grips, cut down cartridge casing, etc.) are also all original film used pieces. The only replacement piece is the metal bracket holding the scope to the body of the gun. This gun has been deactivated and restored to its original screen used condition as seen in Star Wars. This Stormtrooper Sterling machine gun is one of those guns (now deactivated to conform to British firearms regulations), bought back by the Kurtz / Joiner archive in 2003..." Measures 19.5 in. long. Exhibits production use with scuffing to black paint with some oxidation to exposed metal parts. Comes with the original deactivation certificate issued to Bapty when the weapon was rendered non-firing. Provenance: Profiles in History Hollywood Auction 22, July 29, 2005, Lot 171.5 Comes with a COA from Heritage Auctions.

Auction link

I had thought this could possibly be the actual blaster as you can see light on the right side of the barrel so it appears to be missing a T-track BUT it has a different scope (lug on right side of scope)

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10379.thumb.jpg.4ad4dfc9e895fdcce454230c73f2e618.jpg

A small amount of barrel light here too so appears this blaster is also missing a T-track

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10394(1).thumb.jpg.6e3e58720320b5105feeda7a9d412f10.jpg

If anyone does have any images of this "Live" version blaster please do share them.

46 years on and we are still finding details.

None of the ANH blasters, once returned to Bapty, had original greeblies left, they were used in other movies as SMGs. Thus when sold in auctions the greeblies are not the screen used ones, even though they are genuine vintage pieces. Being assembled later, the blasters could have some errors like the position of t-tracks, scopes, counters

Edited by jkno
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jkno said:

None of the ANH blasters, once returned to Bapty, had original greeblies left, they were used in other movies as SMGs. Thus when sold in auctions the greeblies are not the screen used ones, even though they are genuine vintage pieces. Being assembled later, the blasters could have some errors like the position of t-tracks, scopes, counters

I had a feeling I would wake up to an explanation from a certain blaster expert ;) , many thanks for the explanation.

What this investigation has shown is that there was some E-11's seen onscreen with no T-tracks on either side due to the light coming through the barrel, perhaps this option may be looked at for a future CRL update.

Thanks again Sergiu

• Like 1

The only thing we can do when looking at these re-converted auction E-11 blasters, is to see the appearance of the Sterling itself. The Sterling is the piece that, more or less, might have been used in Star Wars. In the LFL Archives they surely have ESB/ROTJ resin stunt blasters (aka Pugmans) and ROTJ MGC E-11 conversions, not sure about old ANH E-11. 

• Like 2

What sticks out to me is that both blasters have different kinds of T-tracks.

While the tracks on blaster 2 look like having been bent to really lock into the venting holes, blaster 1 has tracks with no signs of any bends. It more looks like they have been shaped to have curved ends.

This results in the question of why having 2 different types and/or methods of adding T-tracks.

My guess would be both are rebuilds. 

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T-Jay said:

What sticks out to me is that both blasters have different kinds of T-tracks.

While the tracks on blaster 2 look like having been bent to really lock into the venting holes, blaster 2 has tracks with no signs of any bends. It more looks like they have been shaped to have curved ends.

This results in the question of why having 2 different types and/or methods of adding T-tracks.

My guess would be both are rebuilds. 

You read my mind, Tino.  Like yourself, Glen, Sergiu and others I have studied countless screen caps and official references of E-11s.  Those T-tracks are not original.  Period.  Close, but no cigar.  The "metal" weathering and ends (as you mentioned) are custom made and do not bend into the holes in the shroud.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone else seen the T-tracks on each side of the bayonet lug?  I certainly haven't.

Not sure how they can claim that the only replacement is the scope rail.  They should realize how many of us S.W. weapons nerds will notice.  

w4BYWCe.jpg

9eges9N.jpg

• Like 2

Correct, T-tracks did look odd, especially one blaster having weathering and one not.

As I mentioned earlier what this thread has shown though, a few screen used blasters (Live/Hero) did not have T-Tracks on both lower sides of the barrel, hence the light/armor showing through in a few images.

Great to see this thread pricked up the ears of so many ;) 

• Like 1

Personally I find some of these "Hero" blasters quite expensive for what they are: a Sterling SMG that, maybe, was used in Star Wars. As we know already none of their greeblies are screen used, no matter if they are genuine vintage: M19/M32/M38/M40 tank scope, scope rail, Hengstler counter, mag cylinders, t-tracks. Some even had resin greeblies, non-accurate odd looking t-tracks, not to mention the weird way some of these greeblies are installed on the blaster. In fact an ESB/ROTJ resin stunt E-11 (aka Pugman) would be more valuable in my eyes than these Sterlings, as the Pugman is original and keeps all the details. Not to mention a screen used ROTJ MGC conversion, which is even better.

Edited by jkno
  • Like 2