FAC ANH Stunt TK Build

Perry Combover

9 minutes ago, Perry Combover said:

That's great info. Thank you.

I guess the expanded question is, does the raised area (for overlap construction) need to be covered by the cover strip or is an extra ridge as show in the photo acceptable?

It seems like that would really limit the customer base for MC armor since any increased size at all would require an unusually large cover strip.

Raised area is next to the coverstrip, can be a little gap there. Some makes of armor have the raised edges, some only on the front side and some don't have any raised areas, which make them very easy to have larger.

References

gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg

gallery_12157_59_56592.jpg

No it should not have rivets, just reference of coverstrip width/gap ;) 

gallery_12157_59_29423.jpg

If ever in doubt you can also rely on our Gallery Sections ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

4 hours ago, Perry Combover said:

I guess the expanded question is, does the raised area (for overlap construction) need to be covered by the cover strip or is an extra ridge as show in the photo acceptable?

It seems like that would really limit the customer base for MC armor since any increased size at all would require an unusually large cover strip.

I guess it would be up to the GML. Mine picked it on my submission and asked to reduce the ridge some. Maybe some more experienced people can chime in about how large the cover strip can be. From What I understand there is no set size but it needs to look appropriate for the piece it is on. 

I should probably try to contact the GML in the San Diego area before i start cutting then. Is that kosher?

The top picture is the size of the cover strip cut to the size that I would need it to be to make the forearms work, shown against the bicep (since it would match the forearm strip in width). The second pic compares the cover strip to the size of the overlap construction bit. They are roughly the same size, so my uninitiated brain would assume that this cover strip size should be ok.7dfb783c63978d76377eb1a70efff1f2.jpg30059b21206574efeaaa20a7ab400b79.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Screen-used bicep (and forearm) cover strips were around 15mm, but you can have a little latitude with that. Contacting your GML is certainly not a bad idea to get a sense of what their standards for approval will be. You could also consider 15mm strips on the front, where they are most visible, then slightly larger ones in the rear if you need the added arm circumference.

Another option is to use a wide interior cover strip.  The first image below shows a pretty much standard placement, in this example used over one of the raised areas, with the second one showing an example for those who need a bit more room but don't want a wide exterior strip in order to cover the gap.  After the glue on the interior strip is set, you can glue the exterior one on top.

Hint:  Use extra glue as inside the space it will have as shown below.  ;)

30059b21206574efeaaa20a7ab400b79.webp.55d1d9661ba5fe2d7a02a6784f55abd2.webp            1140880683_30059b21206574efeaaa20a7ab400b79(1).webp.b69ec64d7b7b8c1b172c8052d4f89319.webp

That's a very helpful graphic Joseph, thank you. And good idea on the less visible strips Caleb. This should help a lot.

Doing a quick fitting of the calves and they fit like a glove. It looks like the forearms will be the only area that are too tight. Also interesting to note that this armor has mobility cuts already in the mold. Not sure I'll need them, but it is what it is.ff824d05544b11a01e169c5f2c594b11.jpg

Very interesting! When trimming those areas just be sure not to trim below the bottom of the adjacent ridge. Those lines are pretty low, and mobility cuts are not to extend past the bottom of the ridge.

• Like 1

The forearm conundrum appears to be cleared up. I spent some time and a little TLC with the heat gun. Booth halves had more of a hard oval shape, but by coaxing a rounder shape, and also slightly angling the inside trim edge, I think this will work. I'll post a pic of the outer trim in a day or 2 once this seam is dry.0fb666ed8a6e60ea9a5c82f7e26d5bad.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out of town for 10 days for work. Combine that with having to tear apart and redo a few failed glue joints and I'm only just now getting around to wrapping up the arms. I think they turned out really well.

The real hard part was trying to focus on grown-up business conversations when all I could think about was getting home to wrap up the cover strips.0506cc05f49b310ee3c547b044162e44.jpg

• Like 2

Real life getting in the way of your hobby, something wrong there :laugh1:

You may want to trim off the excess material on your cover strips as they may catch when moving your arms

0506cc05f49b310ee3c547b044162e44.thumb.jpg.e84f11c53a766c8ad71fb29e1c42ffbe.jpg

References

sml_gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg sml_gallery_12157_59_74335.jpg

• Like 1

Alright, this I'm stumped on. If I line it up properly (first photo) then the raised ridge on the right side doesn't match the left side ridge. On the other hand, if I try to line up the raised ridges evenly, then the entire half is off (2nd and 3rd photo). Thoughts?

Sorry, still trying to figure out the photo thing. It won't let me post more than one at a time.95ac8052124589ba7858da11072f7c93.jpg

1 hour ago, Perry Combover said:

Alright, this I'm stumped on. If I line it up properly (first photo) then the raised ridge on the right side doesn't match the left side ridge. On the other hand, if I try to line up the raised ridges evenly, then the entire half is off (2nd and 3rd photo). Thoughts?

Sorry, still trying to figure out the photo thing. It won't let me post more than one at a time.

Forums only allow a certain amount of images, most of us use a free online image host IMGUR, upload there then copy the "direct link" and post in your thread.

I use a straight hand sander to get the sides nice and straight before adding cover strips, you could also wrap some sandpaper around a block of wood for sanding straight. You can add some scrap plastic behind and then add some ABS paste to the gap. Remember one will be covered by the thigh ammo strip ;) 

At times you may need a little force to get pieces to close, I clamp the ends then use masking tape to pull the gaps in, you can actually press down on the plastic, hold then add the tape, when released it will relax a little so sometimes press down a little extra.

On of my thighs before and after taped

F6hBrVQ.jpg

9fYXLKU.jpg

These had bee a pain

FO5qssO.jpg

You can also use Sugru

Reference screen thigh 

sml_gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

• Like 1

Forums only allow a certain amount of images, most of us use a free online image host IMGUR, upload there then copy the "direct link" and post in your thread.

I use a straight hand sander to get the sides nice and straight before adding cover strips, you could also wrap some sandpaper around a block of wood for sanding straight. You can add some scrap plastic behind and then add some ABS paste to the gap. Remember one will be covered by the thigh ammo strip  

At times you may need a little force to get pieces to close, I clamp the ends then use masking tape to pull the gaps in, you can actually press down on the plastic, hold then add the tape, when released it will relax a little so sometimes press down a little extra.

On of my thighs before and after taped
F6hBrVQ.jpg
9fYXLKU.jpg

These had bee a pain
FO5qssO.jpg

[/url] You can also use Sugru

Reference screen thigh 
sml_gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

Excellent references, thank you.

My thighs were the same at the bottom with the ridges. I believe the placement in your first photo is correct. 

This is my thigh 
XyZDMbW.jpg?1

RS suit from the gallery
gallery_12157_59_29423.jpg
This is what I'm thinking. It seems odd to cut the top off the right side and the bottom of the left just to make the ridges line up perfectly. I'll glue it up and if for some reason it doesn't fly it'll be an easy fix. At least easier than trying to fix something I've already chopped off.

• Like 1