FN1313’s ANH Stunt Build thread

FN1313

Just on snaps I do suggest for any areas that may encounter strain to double up, having two on my shoulder bell saved me from not be able to troop as on of the snaps pulled through the elastic, having the spare was a saving grace

• Like 1

Just on snaps I do suggest for any areas that may encounter strain to double up, having two on my shoulder bell saved me from not be able to troop as on of the snaps pulled through the elastic, having the spare was a saving grace

I agree. Yeah that’s my plan and why I bought butt tons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

It’s up in the abdomen section above, but here’s the. Male snap aligned 20mm in and 20mm down

542a5c321139503c16db423d8391c3d3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The accurate position would be

2w3R2aH.jpg

cwaO3Hb.jpg?1

You can always remove the snap, glue a piece of scrap ABS behind, fill hole with ABS paste, sand, polish and redrill. You could be ok for base approval (depending on your GML) but higher levels it will be noted.

• Like 1

The accurate position would be

2w3R2aH.jpg

cwaO3Hb.jpg?1

Easy enough fix. Just put a piece of abs on the back with e6000 and I’ll fill the hole then make a new one for the new snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke2aa91b9b8e2e355972449b56335e972.jpg
  • Like 2

You can always remove the snap, glue a piece of scrap ABS behind, fill hole with ABS paste, sand, polish and redrill. You could be ok for base approval (depending on your GML) but higher levels it will be noted.

Yep just did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb86c3fe4dd7b16c9c41c8bd68b73f1bd.jpg
  • Like 2

Just wanted to check my lines are the right place to trim first

9e357998a32af769d04f76b9e8479ab9.jpg

I also have these that came with the kit, I don’t see why, I’m guessing some sort of reinforcement for the straps, but they don’t really fit flush as is.

525fd3dafd95758a046f379d2be8b71c.jpg

Also in prep for the belt snaps on the abdomen I marked 28mm from left return edge and 59mm from right return edge both 15mm up. I also marked mid point and 1/4 inch down from the return edge of the box.

Just wanted to show pictures and verify things look correct before drilling holes.

5186bd3931b4ddcaa3a54f5e9645bb83.jpg

2ed4d2971fa5d827f0448aef2b25e758.jpg
0945edd5774add06edf67dad2eb39ef1.jpg
19a3218776984d2dc7e66cb08b84a24f.jpg
11632546ebff1646230453fd55f0b160.jpg

I guess the 1/4inch mark isn’t necessary. The top of the belt must be even with or slightly above the bottom of the ab button plate.

Those are shoulder straps that would be used if you were doing a Sandtrooper build (no ribs)  You probably received a strange sniper knee as well... also for Sandies.

oGeFI3h.jpg   Lk83YoD.jpg

Hint:  Be sure that the top of the ABS sits in the right place.  Ideally it should cover part of the bottom button(s) on the ab plates.  ;) 

8XAwYOf.jpg?1  Nvimd6R.jpg?1  N8trEfM.jpg?1

• Like 2

Trimmed the shoulder bridges and filled the hollow areas with strips of ABS where they will be glued to the chest piece. Roughly 2mm width from the side return edges and 3mm from the front and back return edges.

04027ddd199cdb0ae1aaa0b2e16f2b85.jpg
aebb92335c2aa5968bb0504775cb8e68.jpg

• Like 1

BELT

I started work on the belt today

First thing was to drill out the holes on the plastic.

As I debated the methods for assembly and such I opted to go with Chicago screws to connect the plastic to the canvas. I can change this if I need to as I have two plastic belts that came with the kit. I want to see if this will work the current way and then if I need to change the outer points to be snaps instead I can. I think it will work though.

I drilled out 1/8 inch holes (I think, might have been one larger) in the little marked grooves.)
I then trimmed some length off the top/bottom and then flat perpendicular cuts off the ends to give me the flat edge as well.

ce749f21dd2e5d384fe9336e31ba3661.jpg

I had previously marked the middle of the canvas belt and lined up the middle hole with the mid line.

e4b096cb35df9138847af3f783f8694d.jpg

I used a leather hole punch to make a hole in the canvas for the Chicago screw and put the .5 cm length screw female end through both.

b506c81077d75f7e1a5bbce900b7a098.jpg
d6067fdd219c7bc6508db1cfcb313a16.jpg

I noticed that there was still some open space so I cut some plastic back pieces and drilled a hole in them and applied to strengthen the connection points

cf5378b805dcda483099dd32f391c30d.jpg

I’ll have to see how things line up on the armor to debate if I keep this or go the snaps on the ends instead. Though if I recall that would place the snaps really far out and not more central to the abdomen as I’ve marked so I will check that later.

As a final step I marked the 45 degree angle cuts to make. I didn’t have special tools, but using trigonometry for the first time since middle school in the real world I marked the distance from the canvas intersection to the top/bottom edges and then marked that same distance from the plastic outer edge inward. If the sides of a triangle are the same length than the angles are 45 degrees.

6fa6fdc96e27f46fd51729298b26f00d.jpg
074ae199b3e92df5e13f554f13807319.jpg

That’s where my belt is for now.

Update. I added the female snaps to the belt to help hold it in the front against the abdomen.

I will get some pictures going forward as well as start looking into work on the drop boxes. I also will trim the 45 degree angle corners soon.

Trimmed the corners tonight

fa119a0f1ab3eab4f8dd34ed68f96af7.jpg

I installed the holster today as it was a quick step in the progress of my costume.

First using this diagram I marked the location of the 1 3/4 inches from the edge of the plastic.

HEg8hhK.jpg

Then lining up my edge of the first leather strap with the line I measured the midway point of the leather strap. It was about 1cm from the edge (2cm wide strap) Knowing that I marked 1.5cm up from that 1cm in position to find my hole in the canvas spot. I then marked an inch down from the canvas to the top of the holster on the strap to know where it should sit. Knowing the location of the first strap I just lined up the second strap, holster 1 inch away from the belt and then same thing 1cm in and 1.5cm up on the canvas to find my second belt hole.

I then used a leather hole punch to punch out the holes on my canvas belt. Lined up the belt straps and marked the spot to punch holes into the holster straps. I punched the holes and inserted the female end of a chicago screw into the canvas belt and the leather straps. Then I screwed the inside edge shut and have my holster mounted. 

uP1d9DW.jpg

bUL2jJ2.jpg

jw0zmT0.jpg

I sanded down the rear cover’s outside faces of the belt drop boxes so that it would easily slide into the front cover and have good grip for glue. I then used e6000 glue on the front cover’s inside faces (the ones around the box. The issue that I realized is if there was no way for air to escape it would create a pressure pocket that isn’t ideal when gluing or holding together so I took the smallest drill bit I have and drilled a small hole below the Chicago screw spot to let the air get out when closing and gluing. I then slid the piece in and clamped the ends to hold until cured.

LvsCxu9.jpg

85tQbhR.jpg

Tomorrow I will finish up the belt assembly with the drop boxes being secured to the belt.

Alright, so I finished up the last bits of the belt and am currently waiting for the Chicago screw covers to cure the glue.

VExu0SU.jpg

I don’t have a picture of the rear side yet and with the covers glueing I don’t want to interrupt that for a photo.
(Add photo of rear of belt later)

Here’s the belt in it’s current waiting state.

Y8Hos9O.jpg

Edited by FN1313

With snaps installed on the abdomen and the belt I was able to test out the belt sitting with the kidney armor too.

57f3b7f45f6bfbd7264f322c5920153d.jpg

Based on where it sits and the Velcro in the rear it also seems I’ll be able to trim maybe .5 inches of kidney armor on each side. Though I’ll have to better measure before doing so. I’m working to trim out the button pieces for the abdomen as well so that I can glue those down and get the abdomen one step closer to being done.

Side note double check before you clamp set your snaps on the belt. It’s a pain in the a— to remove them after.

• Like 1

BELT

I started work on the belt today

First thing was to drill out the holes on the plastic.

As I debated the methods for assembly and such I opted to go with Chicago screws to connect the plastic to the canvas. I can change this if I need to as I have two plastic belts that came with the kit. I want to see if this will work the current way and then if I need to change the outer points to be snaps instead I can. I think it will work though.

I drilled out 1/8 inch holes (I think, might have been one larger) in the little marked grooves.)
I then trimmed some length off the top/bottom and then flat perpendicular cuts off the ends to give me the flat edge as well.

ce749f21dd2e5d384fe9336e31ba3661.jpg

I had previously marked the middle of the canvas belt and lined up the middle hole with the mid line.

e4b096cb35df9138847af3f783f8694d.jpg

I used a leather hole punch to make a hole in the canvas for the Chicago screw and put the .5 cm length screw female end through both.

b506c81077d75f7e1a5bbce900b7a098.jpg
d6067fdd219c7bc6508db1cfcb313a16.jpg

I noticed that there was still some open space so I cut some plastic back pieces and drilled a hole in them and applied to strengthen the connection points

cf5378b805dcda483099dd32f391c30d.jpg

I’ll have to see how things line up on the armor to debate if I keep this or go the snaps on the ends instead. Though if I recall that would place the snaps really far out and not more central to the abdomen as I’ve marked so I will check that later.

As a final step I marked the 45 degree angle cuts to make. I didn’t have special tools, but using trigonometry for the first time since middle school in the real world I marked the distance from the canvas intersection to the top/bottom edges and then marked that same distance from the plastic outer edge inward. If the sides of a triangle are the same length than the angles are 45 degrees.

6fa6fdc96e27f46fd51729298b26f00d.jpg
074ae199b3e92df5e13f554f13807319.jpg

That’s where my belt is for now.

Update. I added the female snaps to the belt to help hold it in the front against the abdomen.

I will get some pictures going forward as well as start looking into work on the drop boxes. I also will trim the 45 degree angle corners soon.

Did you notice that the 2 belt pieces in DDD armor kit looked slightly different? One seemed to have longer boxes on the raised part to my eye. Mind you, I haven't checked out with a ruler.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Did you notice that the 2 belt pieces in DDD armor kit looked slightly different? One seemed to have longer boxes on the raised part to my eye. Mind you, I haven't checked out with a ruler.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

At first they looked a little like that, but after comparing them both with my canvas belt I didn’t see much difference myself.

• Like 1

I updated the build process for my abdomen in the abdomen section previously, But here’s some update photos for those who don’t want to scroll and read.

1ac5a50282ebfc5e4a08f58f76a6e190.jpg
d43500209b8cc083e9f10b86f9cd2147.jpg

46586c84c880050cab881abe235be25e.jpg

• Like 1

Question on the holster location.

Is there a set distance it needs to be from the side of the plastic or can it go back a little further. I ask because if you look at my belt placement if I had it close to the return edge it seems like it might actually sit a little too far forward in my opinion.

a808b14e1d091465c9e7f1dc4d100d6c.jpg

If there’s some leeway on that I could have it attached like this

90f016881215e353131a8b4c41337cd9.jpg