Jump to content

Ranger's Artillery Trooper Research/Build


Recommended Posts

Hey all! I've been wanting to do a costume of the Artillery Trooper as seen in Mando season 2, but haven't seen much progress in regards to it. So, I started following the Remnant CRL research thread, along with doing my own research and following screenshots + the Hot Toys model.

So I'm happy to say with all that in mind, I'm finally getting the build for this underway, with full knowledge that I will have to likely go back and revise builds, do some things over and make adjustments in the name of getting it right as new details come forward. It'll be an exciting adventure for sure.

 

So to start off, as I said, I've been following the Remnant research thread located here, started by Future Jimmy.

Per the discussion, I'm aware that the Remnant Stormtroopers use ANH stunt style helmets over slightly modified ROTK armor. So my decision is to build the armor following the ROTK CRL, with a helmet following the ANH stunt CRL (painted in the Artillery colors though, of course.)

 

latest?cb=20220510061438

 

Due to the exposed strapping for the bicep to shoulder armor, I'll be attempting to replicate that as well for the build, as seen here.

w4lJYKv.jpg

 

For my shopping list so far, here is as follows:

Helmet: AM - Dave's Darkside Depot

Armor: Jimmiroquai probably, hope his armor fits me. I ain't small.

Gloves: R1 style gloves, in hand. (I think they're from Imperial Boots)

Boots: ANH TK boots, need to replace with R1 style boots. Anyone wanna trade?
Undersuit: Black scuba suit

Neck seal: Some comfy ebay neck seal I bought back in 2017

Pauldron: Trooperbay(?)
Backpack: I'll attempt to 3d model and print it.

 

Semi-decent shot of the backpack from the Hot Toys figure.

giht-908285%20e.jpg

 

I'll be updating this thread frequently as new I find new things, make observations, and start getting the build ready to go. So stay tuned!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum section. Can somebody kindly move this over to the Anthology variant Incinerator and Artillery Build Threads section?

 

Done and done :salute:

 

Looking forward to seeing your build! Note that Dave's Darkside Depot does not currently produce the proper "Anthology" style helmet, so you'd likely need to switch to a more accurate one for this to be approved, as it was only the Remnants that used the ANH style. Jim's armor fits a pretty wide range of troopers too due to the adjustable sides and overlapped thighs, so shouldn't be a major issue and his is by far the most accurate currently available. I'd look into his ribbed undersuit as well, or one from Imperial Boots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

 

Done and done :salute:

 

Looking forward to seeing your build! Note that Dave's Darkside Depot does not currently produce the proper "Anthology" style helmet, so you'd likely need to switch to a more accurate one for this to be approved, as it was only the Remnants that used the ANH style. Jim's armor fits a pretty wide range of troopers too due to the adjustable sides and overlapped thighs, so shouldn't be a major issue and his is by far the most accurate currently available. I'd look into his ribbed undersuit as well, or one from Imperial Boots.

Thanks for fixing it!

 

Dave doesn’t do the correct helmet? Huh. Alright, I’ll look into Jimmi’s full kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing your build. I would recommend looking more towards the Rogue One CRL as there are some definite differences between the Remnant Trooper and Artillery Trooper, the later being more Rogue One style, helmet and armor than Remnant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking forward to seeing your build. I would recommend looking more towards the Rogue One CRL as there are some definite differences between the Remnant Trooper and Artillery Trooper, the later being more Rogue One style, helmet and armor than Remnant.

I’ve sent a message off to Jimmy asking about his full kit, I eagerly await his reply. The R1 crl will be printed out and put in a binder when I get the chance. That way, easy access when it comes time to build.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I’ve sent a message off to Jimmy asking about his full kit, I eagerly await his reply. The R1 crl will be printed out and put in a binder when I get the chance. That way, easy access when it comes time to build.

There are also some reference material found here which may be of help. 

 

 236177.jpg 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There are also some reference material found here which may be of help. 

 

 236177.jpg 

This picture right here from the thread you linked helps lots with the helmet. I see the indents and everything of the R1 helmet, symmetrical.FB_IMG_1621507603624.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately there wasn't more footage in the series, I hope this won't be the last we see of this trooper or the incinerator trooper.

 

Just make sure you reference the screen images best you can as the Hot Toys fig would be a secondary reference ;) 

 

I am loving the details in the series, seeing the detonator actually be used was an especially squeal moment :laugh1: 

 

Note the bend on the top of the thigh, goes to show how flexible the armor material was/is

latest?cb=20220308043017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Unfortunately there wasn't more footage in the series, I hope this won't be the last we see of this trooper or the incinerator trooper.

 

Just make sure you reference the screen images best you can as the Hot Toys fig would be a secondary reference ;) 

 

I am loving the details in the series, seeing the detonator actually be used was an especially squeal moment :laugh1: 

latest?cb=20220308043017

Same haha, I loved watching the mortar in action. Part of me wants to make a functional mortar tube that actually launches the detonators but..... I have a feeling that would end badly in so many ways. :laugh1:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Same haha, I loved watching the mortar in action. Part of me wants to make a functional mortar tube that actually launches the detonators but..... I have a feeling that would end badly in so many ways. :laugh1:

:laugh1: would be very cool to see though

art.thumb.png.1a3c52477aab4629b15998e9e10c0499.png

Note the bend in the top of the thigh just goes to show how flexible this armor is. Whether it be Rogue One, Mandalorian or Obi-Wan the top of the belt takes a beating from those thighs, I believe it to be because of the leg strapping, having 2 side straps doesn't allow very much movement front and back.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This shot here shows me the pauldron is definitely the three-sectioned pauldron used in R1, but it’s in a new color that matches the paint of the Trooper’s yellow scheme.

 

IMG_7180.png

 

Trooperbay sells the correct pauldrons, but only in black and orange. I wonder if he’d do a custom color.... as soon as I find the correct shade of yellow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

 

:laugh1: would be very cool to see though

art.thumb.png.1a3c52477aab4629b15998e9e10c0499.png

Note the bend in the top of the thigh just goes to show how flexible this armor is. Whether it be Rogue One, Mandalorian or Obi-Wan the top of the belt takes a beating from those thighs, I believe it to be because of the leg strapping, having 2 side straps doesn't allow very much movement front and back.

 

I immediately noticed this on the helmet.

IMG_7181.png

 

Was it ever found out what that lip is? I remember a discussion about it months ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

This shot here shows me the pauldron is definitely the three-sectioned pauldron used in R1, but it’s in a new color that matches the paint of the Trooper’s yellow scheme.

 

IMG_7180.png

 

Trooperbay sells the correct pauldrons, but only in black and orange. I wonder if he’d do a custom color.... as soon as I find the correct shade of yellow.

100%, the majority of these "new era" TK's have the 3 piece panel BUT on the odd occasion we do see some one piece pauldrons ;)

 

This will be one of the harder pieces, finding a color vinyl/leather to match the color of the references. I know 850 armor works has completed an Artillery trooper but I've not seen any update with a pauldron

240504619_3060315437629184_5372680778636450808_n.thumb.jpg.2bde769c4dd98f94904c47c9e56b3438.jpg

 

Yes the helmet does have that detail same as the standard troopers with the lower front piece separate 

mandalorian2x06_1527.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

100%, the majority of these "new era" TK's have the 3 piece panel BUT on the odd occasion we do see some one piece pauldrons ;)

 

This will be one of the harder pieces, finding a color vinyl/leather to match the color of the references. I know 850 armor works has completed an Artillery trooper but I've not seen any update with a pauldron

240504619_3060315437629184_5372680778636450808_n.thumb.jpg.2bde769c4dd98f94904c47c9e56b3438.jpg

 

Yes the helmet does have that detail same as the standard troopers with the lower front piece separate 

mandalorian2x06_1527.jpg

Going to be interesting trying to replicate that detail. Might have to cannibalize a second helmet to get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Going to be interesting trying to replicate that detail. Might have to cannibalize a second helmet to get it.

You may even be able to use a cutting disk, remove that piece add an inner edge and glue it back on.

 

There are files out there with separate pieces but I've not researched how accurate they may be so some research may be needed. These are on sale 50% off at present

il_794xN.3757012724_1ogq.jpg

 

Oh and you can find backpack files here

 il_794xN.3153379199_keol.jpg

 

Also here

il_794xN.3105723178_hc4l.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You may even be able to use a cutting disk, remove that piece add an inner edge and glue it back on.

 

There are files out there with separate pieces but I've not researched how accurate they may be so some research may be needed. These are on sale 50% off at present

il_794xN.3757012724_1ogq.jpg

 

Oh and you can find backpack files here

 il_794xN.3153379199_keol.jpg

 

Also here

il_794xN.3105723178_hc4l.jpg

Oh my, Christmas came early!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Just remembered I have bicep armor already from a different build I was going to do. So I guess I’ll have some biceps to work on while I research and wait!

 

Every single piece on a New Generation/Anthology/Non-Saga/whatever you want to call it Stormtrooper is substantively different than on the Original Trilogy suits and nothing should really cross over (including biceps), especially if you're aiming to be the first and set the standard for this new costume. I'd hate to see you put work into parts that won't really be able to be used. Best to wait for Jim, or if you have access to a printer, consider Mr. Paul's excellent Shoretrooper files for the arms and a few other pieces, or start with Nico Henderson's helmet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

100%, the majority of these "new era" TK's have the 3 piece panel BUT on the odd occasion we do see some one piece pauldrons ;)

 

This will be one of the harder pieces, finding a color vinyl/leather to match the color of the references. I know 850 armor works has completed an Artillery trooper but I've not seen any update with a pauldron

240504619_3060315437629184_5372680778636450808_n.thumb.jpg.2bde769c4dd98f94904c47c9e56b3438.jpg

 

Yes the helmet does have that detail same as the standard troopers with the lower front piece separate 

mandalorian2x06_1527.jpg

Seeing that full build makes me curious, what do you say about 850? I’ve heard good things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheRascalKing said:

 

Every single piece on a New Generation/Anthology/Non-Saga/whatever you want to call it Stormtrooper is substantively different than on the Original Trilogy suits and nothing should really cross over (including biceps), especially if you're aiming to be the first and set the standard for this new costume. I'd hate to see you put work into parts that won't really be able to be used. Best to wait for Jim, or if you have access to a printer, consider Mr. Paul's excellent Shoretrooper files for the arms and a few other pieces, or start with Nico Henderson's helmet.

The biceps I have are from a Mudtrooper build I was going to do, that’s why I have them at least, they’re the same biceps for R1/Solo. Sorry for the confusion, I should’ve clarified that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Seeing that full build makes me curious, what do you say about 850? I’ve heard good things.

 

850's suits are of lower quality and are made in ABS, which is unable to capture the sharp edges and details that are the hallmarks of the New Gen suits. They also have refused to accept feedback from the FISD and are unlikely to be approved at any level other than basic. I'd avoid them, but judge for yourself - one of theirs completed in-house on the bottom vs a Jimmiroquai suit on the top (admittedly mine).

 

9QAosCO.jpg

 

1 minute ago, TheLoneRanger said:

The biceps I have are from a Mudtrooper build I was going to do, that’s why I have them at least, they’re the same biceps for R1/Solo. Sorry for the confusion, I should’ve clarified that.

 

Ah gotcha, those might work then if they have the right shape, symmetry, and raised/beveled coverstrips!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheRascalKing said:

 

850's suits are of lower quality and are made in ABS, which is unable to capture the sharp edges and details that are the hallmarks of the New Gen suits. They also have refused to accept feedback from the FISD and are unlikely to be approved at any level other than basic. I'd avoid them, but judge for yourself - one of theirs completed in-house on the bottom vs a Jimmiroquai suit on the top (admittedly mine).

 

9QAosCO.jpg

 

 

Ah gotcha, those might work then if they have the right shape, symmetry, and raised/beveled coverstrips!

Sheesh the difference is substantial! You just made me decide definitely on Jimmi’s kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news! Jim got back to me, his helmets have the chin gap detail molded in, so I suppose I’d just have to color it in black. And he said he can also do the pauldron in the custom yellow color as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...