Mesh behind Helmet frown

Got a question which I hope that I can find the answers I seek. :)

Were there any netting / mesh affixed behind the frowns of the Stormie / Sandie helmet props used in ANH? I've looked through the Internet but can't see much details behind the frown. I refer to the STUNT and HERO Helmets.

If mesh had been used, were they affixed in a vertical or diagonal position? I've seen pictures posted by forum members where the position of the mesh are mainly in a diagonal position.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Heresy, I know, but I'm down on the screen mesh.

I have it my helmet. It helps obscure my shiny white teeth, but I wonder if it cheapens the whole effect.

Let me explain:

I took my kids to see the easter bunny last spring. The eyes and mouth of the rabbit suit were all black screen mesh. Recently the kids got to meet Clifford the Big Red Dog. Clifford's eyes were covered with black screen mesh. I'm thinking that "black screen mesh" is now a visual shorthand for "life-sized novelty costume".

People don't see my face anymore through the frown (which is good), but the screen gives it away that it's JUST a costume (which is bad).

I have it in my head to scrounge around for some old computer board/memory cards and glue them in behind the frown. It might seem more consistent with the illusion we're trying to create with the armour.

I have it in my head to scrounge around for some old computer board/memory cards and glue them in behind the frown. It might seem more consistent with the illusion we're trying to create with the armour.

Personally I think the lycra bodysuit and elastic straps showing underneath the armor gives it away as a costume far more than a little mesh showing through the little nostril holes.

Good luck breathing through those computer boards! :D

I'd suggest getting some black panty hose and cutting out little bits to glue down inside the holes, and then back those up with wire mesh if you feel they need more structure to them. Alternatively, take some plastic strip, paint satin black, and glue behind the holes -- leaving a millimetre or two for air to pass. Then back up with black panty hose to prevent any light bleed.

I'm still working on alternative "invisible" mounting rigs to help bolster the illusion. :)

--Jonah