Jump to content

revlimiter's Quest Design E11 build


Recommended Posts

I got my blaster finished about 3 weeks ago. I didn't post because I managed to lose the pix... heh. I uploaded them to the wrong folder.


Anyways, here we go!



Both LEDs glued to the muzzle with their stock holder. I considered some sort of light pipe to make the whole barrel light up, but this method was easiest and brightest.





The Blaster Factory handle doesn't actually have clearance to allow the rotary switch to work in stock condition. All of the pins make contact with the inside of the housing. I dremeled the flat side like crazy (as seen above) and created just enough clearance to allow the selector to work.



This was the first photo of my blaster actually blasting! It might not look like much, but that blaster makes pew-pew noises!  I then shortened the wires up, built up the handle, and sealed the brain inside a protective wad of electrical tape. It lives just behind the bolt cover.



I drilled and hollowed the back end of the blaster enough to allow the speaker and battery pack to fit. It pressure fits in there nicely, yet is easy to pull out for battery changes. The speaker is wonderfully loud in the back of the blaster. well... sorta. More on that in a sec.



AAA battery pack from a flashlight. One of the many things I borrowed from Tino's excellent Lucky #11 build. This is the same voltage as the factory battery pack, but much much smaller in form factor.



The one downside of this conversion - this was my only real option for battery placement. A small bit of spring was sacrificed. It's barely noticeable to anyone else, and enables fantastic PEW PEW noises, so it's a sacrifice I was willing to make.


And then I got everything put back together and put the rear cap on and.... (pew pew). Yes, it was no longer PEW PEW. A lot of the speaker noise was coming out the back of the blaster. With the rear cap in place it was muffled quite a bit. I didn't want to further weaken the blaster by moving the battery farther forward either. So I started looking into tiny speakers.



I got these tiny 20mm speakers off amazon which fit PERFECTLY in the 20mm recess inside the Quest Design blaster. I wired it inline with the factory speaker. There's no extra voltage going anywhere, so no extra sound is produced. I'm just splitting the amount of sound between the two speakers.



The speaker goes nicely in the front of the barrel.  It is also FAR less muffled. Noise actually escapes the plastic tube now!



I made a decent fitting bolt cover out of thin aluminum sheet and started work on the clearing strip.  Having that rear bit still in place let me get the angle right easily.



One clearing strip!



I then cleaned out the back piece for a metal inlay.



BAM! A little glue and I have a metal bolt. It reflects the light so much more nicely than the painted resin.  I gave it a little weathering and then...



Finished! Again! For now!



I'm seriously digging the metal handle and rubber grip.



A bit dirty and in need of fresh clearcoat, but it's back together. And WORKING!



So tasty.


And here's a crappy vid showing it in action.  :dancing-trooper:

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on finishing this beautiful blaster, Adam. :jc_doublethumbup:


Although it happened already three weeks ago, I am glad you still showed us your last steps.


Yes, the electronics from a Disney blaster are not that loud but you managed to find a good way to optimize it.


Wishing you a lot of fun with this E-11. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...