XYDIU's TFA FOTK Build Thread (KB Props 2021)

XYDIU

1 hour ago, XYDIU said:

Mini update:

Glued the spats together today, used the JB Weld, as from what I have read it is recommended.

0dGzOws.jpg?1

Checked the seam on the abdomen and apparently it did not glue on the majority of it, so I decided to just sand it down and re-glue what I could. (About 90% of it.) The stronger magnets arrived today so they are really helpful in gluing it together and it already looks better. Nonetheless, there is not much else that I was able to do at the current moment.   

Mini update on today's progress:

I was not satisfied with the amount of work I did today so I decided to also glue a cap on the bad of the TD, where the resin/spray in foam was so that it would be flat and smooth:

BwGDfG2.jpgIma

Image of cap

HtrehqD.jpg?1

Cap after being glued onto TD. 

I am not done sanding that, but I was unable to get the spray-in foam, in the center, smooth. So I decided to take some of the extra ABS I had and cut out a cap for the TD. I simply did this by taking the TD and holding it on top of the ABS sheet, and then I simply just used a pencil to trace it out; cut it out and glued it.

• Like 2

Minor minor update for today: Can't get much done today since I will be out for most of the day, but I was able to inquire and pay for a belt kit from Belts of the First Order. As well as the yoke support brackets from @/ukswrath came in. Just a question though: I believe JB Weld should be what I should attach that with, since it's a stress point and you don't want it to flex. Just want to confirm before I install it tomorrow. 

Alright, so today just glued the other side of the abdomen (after the previous incident, I had to clean it all up and reglue the sides (of the messed up side.) 

81TW6Ky.jpg?1

Side of abdomen (previously messed up) getting glued

I also worked on gluing in the yoke support brackets: 

jyvmYhU.jpg?2

Supports inside the yoke

Also, I decided to try to rough mock up the shins today, and I realized that there is going to be some needed serious trimming:

Wpk0phe.jpg?1

Inside of right shin.

aUrZDuc.jpg?1

Outside of right shin. 

As far I as I can tell, the outside seam is supposed to be seen but with no gaps in it, but there are a few gaps, and one big one, on the right shin. The left one is not as bad. I can probably put some filler in that area, or ABS paste, to fill it out, and try to leave some form of seam... If anyone could chime in on that, I would appreciate it. The other side, in inside, I know the inside should have a seam as well, but since my shins are no where near the size of whom the mold was made of, there leaves a lot of excess on the interior edge, that it juts out in front of where my knee is. 

Is it alright to trim both the outside and inside seams, if I split the total amount needing trimming? Of course I am aware of the "curve" in the outside (front) piece, but would that still be fine? Otherwise I would have to cut the inside piece off a lot and that looks weird, in the rear of where my shin is, on top, as well as the outer piece does not want to fit. 

Any advice would be appreciated, so I can somewhat figure out what to do. 

Edited by XYDIU
  • Like 1

Outside

216cd455-f168-4dee-8ce0-587a3944966c.jpg

Inside

8e8d4ba8-6573-493a-a198-eed3c7ec9422.jpg

My inside seams are actually aligned perfectly but the photo illustrated above is without the velcro in place to hold then together correctly

• Like 1

Also before trimming make sure you try with boots, undersuit and gaskets on, it can make a BIG difference to fitment.

• Like 2

Another question, mainly what I am trying to figure out: Can the seams, inner seams, on the thighs and shins be actually overlapped. Not flush that is. For instance, I see a lot that have a backing strip on the inside with velcro that allows the seam to sit flush when closed. What I am asking is: is it alright if the seam itself was overlapped, not via  backing strip, but rather the pieces themselves. Similar to the bicep. 

Edit: According to the CRL, it doesn't say anything about the inner seam needing to be flush, but overlapped (for centurion) which I am trying to clarify. 

Edited by XYDIU
Edit

Most of the inside of armor does overlap

large.TFA_Left_greave_closure_3.jpg.cc8b

59c66280e12c6_rightinner.JPG.9d6fb574c1022e2549970a35d86dadf0.jpg.6d1c7cb32f6e59f43584df6eb88a3eb1.jpg

cWyaxta.jpg.b8e73bcdfa1b1faabeb0dde80a4130e1.jpg

When ever in doubt you can always check the gallery sections ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/27-tfa-tk-reference/

• Like 2

Alright, so today did a bit more of gluing as well as some shaping with the heat gun:

6lCBumf.jpg?1

Left side of the abdomen looks much better now. Not too bad of a gap either. Still needs to be cleaned up, but I will do that after it's fully glued.

LppgHB0.jpg?1

Other side gluing. A lot more clean than the previous side. Will glue the last part of it tomorrow when it is fully cured.

bBBunuC.jpg?2

The forearms with the top bent a little. Not super clean, but will be fixed once it's glued. Used a piece of wood to form the corner to bend them. 

Other than that I did get some bondo today. This type: 

3m-patching-repair-20052-64_1000.jpg

They were out of the "body filler" type, so just wanted to make sure that this is fine to use. If not, I have yet to open it so it can be returned. It says it works on plastic but I wanted to make sure that it would be fine. Couldn't find too much between this and the "body filler" kind.

Anyways, tomorrow I want to try to finish the gluing on the abdomen and after it cures I can size it with the chest, which I believe needs a bit of curving in on the sides to make a look a bit better. The gaskets and the belt should be arriving sometime next week, so I will size the other items once that arrives.

I haven't used that particular one before but if it has a hardener I gather it's the same type of thing

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I haven't used that particular one before but if it has a hardener I gather it's the same type of thing

Yes, it did come with a little tube of hardener. So I presumed it was basically the same. Both can be sanded and painted apparently. 

• Like 1

Alright, finally finished gluing the abdomen today:

OuBBoop.jpg?1

Not to much to add. Gaskets should be on the way soon.

Also, any advice how to attach the forearm boxes? Mine are not like the ones from Anovos, since there is no box to put behind the forearm box to give a surface to glue on, they are just empty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XYDIU said:

Also, any advice how to attach the forearm boxes? Mine are not like the ones from Anovos, since there is no box to put behind the forearm box to give a surface to glue on, they are just empty.

Hi Jacob, I'm dealing with the same issue. What I have been thinking to do this next weekend  is to glue some ABS Squares inside the box to make a surface that can be glued to the small box on the forearm.

I'll try to post some photos if I can work with this tonight.

:0Lighten:

• Like 1

Hi Jacob.

This is the idea I have to place the forearms boxes. hope I can work with this on weekend.

1-

6hjsZMs.jpg?1

2-

p4zuzL6.jpg?1

3- ABS Squares

7Tc84l9.jpg?1

4-  

SeeIYVL.jpg?1

Glue the box over.  :56pullhair:

• Like 2

Hi Jacob.

This is the idea I have to place the forearms boxes. hope I can work with this on weekend.

1-

6hjsZMs.jpg?1

2-

p4zuzL6.jpg?1

3- ABS Squares

7Tc84l9.jpg?1

4-  
SeeIYVL.jpg?1

Glue the box over.  :56pullhair:

That looks pretty good. Let me know how it works, and if so, I’ll probably borrow it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Alright, so today the abdomen finished gluing and I sanded it down a bit. I also preceded to cut the middle in the back and glue the strip where the Velcro will go once it's painted and sanded fully.

uvVLB30.jpg?2

Before the strip was added and it was sanded

elOxXzA.jpg?1

After

I also checked the fitment on me, since I trimmed down a lot on the back in order for it to conform more to my body:

qq6Shce.jpg?2

meOMRpn.jpg?1

Personally I think it looks pretty good, sans the glue on the sides and all, but once it's trimmed fully (on the top) and painted I think it'll look really good. (as well as attaching the ab boxes)

Tomorrow I will probably bondo the sides as well as the yoke, and work on that a bit. As for the forearm details, I will glue those once I get the gaskets just so I can make sure that it fits well, currently, and also to see how to attach the forearm box (aka watching Mario's thread.;)

More to come soon.

• Like 2

Alright, not too much work done today, have work and all. Just glued the picatinny rails to the forearms: 

WO88ioJ.jpg?1

As well as glued the greeblies to the chest:

FLnklMk.jpg?1

It looks, in the image above, that the left one is misplaced, but both were put in front of the little indent, just an odd image is all. 

Tomorrow I want to start bondo-ing the yoke and the abdomen, since I wanted to do them together. One at a time, just in the same day is all. As well as in a few days I will get the curves for the abdomen boxes and trace them on/cut them out. Then I'll glue them on using the plastic screw method. 

More to come. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Jacob, I have updated my thread with the forearms boxes assemble, perhaps it can give you some tips.

:salute:

I appreciate it, it was really helpful; cut out the exact same thing for mine today as well. Have yet to glue them because I think I am going to need to add something behind the cut-outs on the boxes first.

• Like 1

Alright, today I bondo-ed and sanded the yoke/back as well as the abdomen. The putty I got works pretty well, and it dries pretty fast too. 

Yoke/Back:

Zkt6vPb.jpg?1

Left Side

1nwkdGG.jpg?1

Right Side

Abdomen:

fJRzLs4.jpg?1

Left side from the back

dUMOdFt.jpg?1

Left side from the side (that lil part that looks like an exposed seam is filled and smooth, just looks kind of odd; no lip there, just shows)

0g5i4qY.jpg?1

Right side from the back

yXmCV84.jpg?1

Right side from the side

One thing I am trying to find out is: Should I glue the abdomen boxes first, before I paint, or should I do it after and paint them separately?

I only ask because I worry that the paint will fill in the gaps between the boxes and the abdomen, as that would not be accurate. I don't think it should be a big deal, but I want to double check. 

In other news, just waiting on the gaskets and helmet to do much more. So updates may be a bit delayed or lack thereof until those arrive. 

Also another question I do have as well:

For the forearm boxes, do the rectangular holes, not on the inside area, the ones that are narrow and long, have gaffers tape behind them or is it decals/paint. I am unsure which is more accurate, and just want to know. If it is tape, should I paint the forearm boxes first and then glue them, or would it just be easier to tape over them. It just seems a bit difficult to tape over that tiny hole and paint, to make sure I don't paint the hole. 

Alright, so today got a little, but important, stuff done. I was able to countour and trim down the abdomen boxes: 

jPYoYSl.jpg?2

Abdomen Boxes (shortly after I had to fix one since it didn't contour properly)

I was able to get them all trimmed well down to fitting near flush, with minimal gaps overall. They're not perfect, but I will probably go at them with a file and sandpaper before I fully attach them to the abdomen. I also received the screws I needed, but they turned out to be way too small so going to pick up the proper ones tomorrow, and I plan on attaching them to the boxes via E6000 and determining the placement so then I could drill the holes in the abdomen.

The only other things that I was able to get done today were bondo-ing the TD cap so it looks more flush and seamless now, as well as cutting out the indent in the chest so that it looks sharper and will allow me to put the gaffer's tape behind it (which I just received thanks to Tony @/ukswrath.) 

aIHgwEa.jpg?1

TD with cap on it bondo'd

It still needs a bit of sanding but the main issue of the end is now taken care of. 

Will update once I got more progress done.

• Like 3