TK Monkus' RS Prop Masters ANH-S Build Thread (first build)

TK Monkus

It is time to start working on the bucket!

Given most of the body is completed I am going to start working on the head and try to get this completed. I am following the RS videos, which have been great, but I have a question. On the left side the last "tooth hole" is not really pronounced at all like the others. on the right side I can see where it goes. I have marked where I think it should be but just want to make sure that looks correct before I make any cuts. I have also marked the eyes.

Question: Is the left side tooth hole in the correct position or should it move?

Left Side

4aRZRzu.jpg

Right Side

liGWYox.jpg

Thanks,

M

18 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Does anyone have a recommendation where I can purchase a stencil for the tube stripes on the side?

Thanks,

M

Some make them out of masking tape or contact

Trooperbay does sell them 

https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-masking-templates

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Awesome thank you!

M

And just a tip, if you paint white first it should fill any areas that may bleed due to not quite sticking or lifting, then go over with the top color.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

And just a tip, if you paint white first it should fill any areas that may bleed due to not quite sticking or lifting, then go over with the top color.

Thanks for the tip! I am still a little ways away from paint, but good to keep in mind.

M

• Like 1

We have connection!

I attached the front and back together and am now working on the ears. I tried to start them but think I will need to tackle those tomorrow.

Question: Should I try and make the gap where the ears would go smaller or is that not to much of an issue?

Qj5YqCs.jpg

JJFIDAE.jpg

Wf5s576.jpg

Ear gaps

BoxljCF.jpg

45mvk57.jpg

Thanks,

M

10 hours ago, TK Monkus said:

Question: Should I try and make the gap where the ears would go smaller or is that not to much of an issue?

It wouldn't  be an issue since the gap is going to be covered by the ears.

Note: remember to check the ears alignment prior to affix them

MY6Ib8l.jpg   ay4GDhi.jpg?1   RahNCfw.jpg

ViKZfvO.jpg?1

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

It wouldn't  be an issue since the gap is going to be covered by the ears.

Note: remember to check the ears alignment prior to affix them

MY6Ib8l.jpg   ay4GDhi.jpg?1   RahNCfw.jpg

ViKZfvO.jpg?1

Thank you Mario! I will probably end up placing them then taking pics and asking for confirmation here before screwing them in!

M

• Like 1

I have trimmed the left ear to about where I like it. I think I can try and lessen that gap a bit more in the front, but want to make sure I am positioning the ear correctly in the first place. 

Question: Does the placement look correct? I have it centered on the back trap line and follow that down at an angle. 

Can I trim some off the bottom or should I leave that extra on?

Once the screws are in will some of the gap at the top round area be eliminated?

n4OGjbk.jpg

gkmBWqy.jpg

gkpR7DQ.jpg

f4BAzrS.jpg

Thanks,

M

Hi Matt! Great work so far! To answer some of your questions, your left ear placement looks good to me. I can't see exactly where the screw hole dimples are located (when aligning mine I filled them in with a pencil, and then later just drilled them out, to have a good visual reference), but if you're following the rear trap line you should be good.

Some of the gaps you're still seeing could be eliminated once you've screwed down the ear, but there is also something you could consider doing to help with the gaps towards the top--notching the very top of the ear. Gaszmosis documents this is his tutorial that Mario linked to, and below is one of his photos as reference:

cap ear fit.png

Because of the tightening once you screw the ear down, you could not only eliminate some gaps, but also expose new ones due to the plastic bending. You may find that some additional fine-tuning sanding will be in order after initially installing the screws.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hi Matt! Great work so far! To answer some of your questions, your left ear placement looks good to me. I can't see exactly where the screw hole dimples are located (when aligning mine I filled them in with a pencil, and then later just drilled them out, to have a good visual reference), but if you're following the rear trap line you should be good.

Some of the gaps you're still seeing could be eliminated once you've screwed down the ear, but there is also something you could consider doing to help with the gaps towards the top--notching the very top of the ear. Gaszmosis documents this is his tutorial that Mario linked to, and below is one of his photos as reference:

cap ear fit.png

Because of the tightening once you screw the ear down, you could not only eliminate some gaps, but also expose new ones due to the plastic bending. You may find that some additional fine-tuning sanding will be in order after initially installing the screws.

Thanks Caleb, I think I will try a small notch then screw in the top screws and fine tune a little after that. See a picture of where the current dimples are in pencil. I think I need to maybe move them where the red dots are to line up more? The top one seems a bit high and the bottom seems a bit to far over to the left.

l5vwMoQ.jpg

Thanks,

M

Some references for comparison

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Nice work Matt.  If I may, since you're building an ANH -S version,, I would suggest to improve the look by raising the brow trim a little to get a more ANH sight look than the Hero one.

ANtf9nv.jpg?1

References

ptXpRY0.jpg?1   iu7Ibyv.jpg?1

Hero helmet

BnYy1SU.jpg?1

keep it up.  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:39 AM, TKSpartan said:

Nice work Matt.  If I may, since you're building an ANH -S version,, I would suggest to improve the look by raising the brow trim a little to get a more ANH sight look than the Hero one.

ANtf9nv.jpg?1

References

ptXpRY0.jpg?1   iu7Ibyv.jpg?1

Hero helmet

BnYy1SU.jpg?1

keep it up.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Mario. 

Installed the "S" trim on the bottom of the helmet. Changed the position 3 times before deciding to have the join just under the R mic area. Seems to be the spot best concealed. I tried under the vocoder and thought you could still kind of see it. Going to paint and install the mic tips, lenses, and chin strap.

Question: Should I/do I need to paint the tips of the mic grey? They are currently a creamy white (as you can see in the pic below). When looking at screenshots they seem to be a silvery color though...I am going to paint the outside black and will leave the tip as is currently to see how they look.

KxTOgIq.jpg

lXT1gAO.jpg

E2K0LsJ.jpg

Thanks,

M

Painted the mic tips black and can tell they definitely need something on the tip. So my new question is:

Question: will the grey I have for the traps and tears work or do I need to find a silver?

odEzxFE.jpg

EEAYWX6.jpg

Thanks,

M

850990432_Hovitip.jpg.5d0b01258b234c9ebf755573adbf500f.jpg

49 minutes ago, TK Monkus said:

Question: Should I/do I need to paint the tips of the mic grey? They are currently a creamy white (as you can see in the pic below). When looking at screenshots they seem to be a silvery color though...I am going to paint the outside black and will leave the tip as is currently to see how they look.

Probably a reflection of light,  the inside stay white and also the rim, although this was just rubbed off black paint showing the original color underneath ;) 

• Like 1