Walkie Talkies and StormTrooper voice

So i am looking for the best way to communicate to my friends (we plan on doing a lot of troops together and want to keep contact all day) anyway so we want walkie talkies to be hidden/built into our buckets. Has anyone tried this or know of any good ideas?? Also we would like to have a cheap, yet decent quality voice changer so we sound right to all the little kids around :)

Ah, idealism! I've heard of such but never seen them in the flesh, nor seen an ideal set for sale.

Nirvana is having chin switches that let you toggle between vox, FRS radio, and cellphone - all in the bucket but FRS & cell which are bluetooth and hidden elsewhere in your armor, or at least a toggle using your ab plate buttons.

I know some of the guys in the Nordic Garrison are thinking of a mod to the ROM/FX with a PPT button and some sort of radios or something to communicate with each other. Maybe some of the NG-guys on here can elaborate?

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

If you could get a hold of a type of slider switch, so you just slide the outer bump of the ear one way to open the comms, and back when the message is sendt, you might be on to something:)

A fair few UK Garrison members have a unit called a 'Troopercom' rigged up with the ROM/FX voice unit.

At large events it has worked very well, as when staff members need to get hold of a squad, they can call them up on the walkie talkie.

It's basically a unit that links the walkie talkie and ROM/FX together. The use of a hidden magnet in the finger, and in the bucket switches off the ROM/FX and activates the Troopercom unit. The ROM/FX microphone is used too. When the 2 magnets are disengaged, the ROM/FX unit works back to normal.

Members have the walkie talkies hidden in the back plate (or somewhere out of sight), and an ear piece linked to it so they can hear what's going on...

Hope that's made sense...

All awesome ideas but i think we are going the cheaper way of doing things. Getting the radio shack mini amp, with a little lapel mic that you can mount to the inside of the helmet. then use a cheap-ish set of kids walkie talkie that will fit inside, because we won't be that far from each other. And i guess he just gets to hear everything i say, but we were talking and we're going to just have a word or something to start and end every conversation so we know when to listen and when not to.... all of course just to get the ball moving. Maybe once i have a bit more cash and know a little more i will make an upgratde (i like the idea of that push switch) but we will see!!

------------

Input is always welcome, and if i am heading straight into a huge mistake please feel free to let me know :P

~Brad

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

i like the idea of the chinswitch, and i like this concept. the problem is, finding a walkie talkie set-up that's cheap, and has a LONG range that will (preferrably) fit into your bucket.

tough stuff....

Here in Norway a set of Motorola hunting radios don´t set you back more than $100 a pair. They have a range to about 3km.

Whatever you buy you´ll have problems because it´s fitted inside the bucket or somewhere else on your armor, which drastically decreases the range when the antenna is covered up.

I'd really like to put in some kind of kickass switch anywhere (on the side with a small push switch under the rubber would be amazing) but i honestly just have no idea how to do any of that stuff :P i have no experiance with switches or putting anything like this together and i actually am still waiting on my bucket to even get here to me..... so i am kinda going for the most simple solution, but if anyone has any other resources i can use or reference i'd LOVE to try and tackle it. My biggest issue is lack of knowledge and having no clue where to purchase such things!!!

But, as always... thanks for the quick and helpful replies!!

~Brad

There was a guy on the forum that made a rubber version of the ear bump and put a little push switch under it. It looked great and seemed to be very functional. I can't seem to find it now. I'll keep looking around.

I'm guessing that if you live in the states, that Radio Shack is a good place to just browse around and see what you find. That's what I've done to find good solutions to things since I don't have any sort of experience with electronics.

Canada actually, no radioshacks where i live but there is some about half an hour drive from where i live. I've had a look at the site a bit, but to be completely honest i have no idea about any of the electrical stuff :P i might see something cool but have no idea what it does or how i'd use it

~Brad

A fair few UK Garrison members have a unit called a 'Troopercom' rigged up with the ROM/FX voice unit.

Yeah, I´ve got one of those, so does about 10-15 other NG troopers. Never tried it, though, couldn´t get it to work...Problem for me was finding a voice activated PMR radio, where you would cue the radio transmission when activating the Troopercom and speaking into the mike. All the radios I´ve found so far (and I´ve looked at a lot of radios!) operate by PTT (Push To Talk), which means you have to push a button sitting on the microphone/headset wire to transmit, something that kind of beats the purpose with the sexy magnetic switch...I worked hard at trying to come up with a solution to this for quite some time, but with little or no technical skills (and no hearing back from the maker, after emailing him repeatedly), I more or less gave up in the end.

If somebody has suggestions for how to set it up, or even better, has a working Troopercom themselves, me and 10-15 other NG troopers would love to hear from you!

Now this could be cool...

If my suit wasnt crowded allready... :lol:

I have been thinking on this as well, and it could work in Vader as well as Troopers. Being able to talk to each other at distance would be cool.

I am looking at two options.

The Motorola Talk about has an accessory that uses a neck mic and a pretty long PTT that could be modded into your suit, or slid under the bicep and forarm armor. Hiding the radio is looking allright, in the back plate.

I am also looking at the Nady Motorcycle com here...

NADY

Pricy, but small.

Now what is cool to think of is at large events if all had one a base station with a table top Transciever could be like a switch board to "dispatch" the troops. How cool would that be!

Now this could be cool...

If my suit wasnt crowded allready... :lol:

I have been thinking on this as well, and it could work in Vader as well as Troopers. Being able to talk to each other at distance would be cool.

I am looking at two options.

The Motorola Talk about has an accessory that uses a neck mic and a pretty long PTT that could be modded into your suit, or slid under the bicep and forarm armor. Hiding the radio is looking allright, in the back plate.

I am also looking at the Nady Motorcycle com here...

NADY

Pricy, but small.

Now what is cool to think of is at large events if all had one a base station with a table top Transciever could be like a switch board to "dispatch" the troops. How cool would that be!

Just remember that if you're going for a throatmic, you usually need to invest some credits. Cheap throatmics tend to not work that well. And if the slide a bit down or up they may not register anything.

John Danter is the craftsman who makes ear caps with both momentary and toggle switches. Very, very cool.

I'm in the same boat as the rest - I have funds but no time/skills to put something like this in my bucket, even if I had instructions.

There was a guy in FL who offered to pimp out my bucket - I bought all the parts then he backed out on me. :( So...honestly I'll wait until there's an easy kit like Skullworx or the TCI that I can install easily.

I bought a throat mic from Fire Fox. Its designed to use with radios for paint ball warriors and motorcycles and bicyclists so they can chat with out wind noise or having to talk very loud. You can whisper if you want (paint ball warriors need to be very quiet). It comes with a push to talk switch that goes on your finger tip. I have not gotten it to work yet with my radio shack amp. It requires power which the amp will not provide enough of (even with mods). I've tested it with my PC and it works well. I'm hoping that once I sort out the power issue I will get rid of all feedback since it does not pick up sound from the air like other mics but uses your throat vibrations. I mention all this cause it comes with a push to talk switch.

These guys?

---------

Dosent say what radios they work with... Hmm.. Email in order. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021