Indie's TLJ Phasma Build

Hey All! I'm officially starting my build thread, hopefully you find it useful, and maybe I can have some questions answered while i'm at it!

I want to use this first (top) post to keep running notes as to where i'm at in my build, including full imgur albums (for easy viewing). 

Build List:

Bucket: Shawn Thorsson resin cast

Armor:  KB Props Kit

Boots: Amazon Chelsea boots
Gloves: Carhartt Men's The Dex II High Dexterity Glove
Neck Seal & Gaskets: Sewed this myself
Under Suit: Compression Shirt Dry Fit Long Sleeve Running Athletic T-Shirt

Cape: Sewed this myself
Weapon: Plan on 3D printing the Quicksilver Baton

Here's the full unboxing & parts album

Updated as I go, parts and cutting

Thanks for stopping by! Very Excited

Edited by indiechixor
Updated Links/URLS
  • Like 1

Day 1: Unboxing & Parts sorting

Wednesday was BBB day! 

XcFaMQk.jpg

I spent most the day sorting & researching to figure out what parts go where. If I got anything wrong in here, let me know.

The entire album w/all the labeled parts (if you are as lost as I was).

Here's the whole kit laid out

KoYn6ir.jpg

Then I spent the evening watching TLJ and starting to trim & plan out my build.

NEWh9iQ.jpg

These were all the boxes that don't go on the belt. If anyone has a guide to which boxes go where, i'll be forever in your debt.

LlGccGP.jpg

I'll be investing in a belt sander tomorrow, after reading all the build threads that seems to be a worthy investment. 

Edited by indiechixor

Nothing like a nice BBB of armor to start trimming. Although there isn't my h in the way of Phasma references you will find a lot of items are similar between Phasma and FOTK's, some great reference material can be found in the gallery sections https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/20-fotk-reference/

Tony has a great FOTK build showing step by step assembly, although his AB boxes were numbered you should still be able to tell what goes were by sizes 

Hi Brit, welcome aboard. Some exciting times ahead now your armour has arrived. I look forward for your build coming together.

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Tony has a great FOTK build showing step by step assembly, although his AB boxes were numbered you should still be able to tell what goes were by sizes 

awesome, I sometimes forget Phasma and FOTKs are alike enough to be cross-referenced!

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice start.

Here is a TFA Phasma build which is also KB f

Oh yeah, I def have been stalking that build while working on mine. She has quite a few pics, but it's an older KB kit than mine so a few differences. I also don't have anyone helping me (other than my husband, who is also new to this) so taking it nice and slow and triple-checking my work before cutting. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, indiechixor said:

Oh yeah, I def have been stalking that build while working on mine. She has quite a few pics, but it's an older KB kit than mine so a few differences. I also don't have anyone helping me (other than my husband, who is also new to this) so taking it nice and slow and triple-checking my work before cutting. 

Brit I'm in the GGG, just a stones throw from CCG, feel free to hit me up. I might be able to refer you to someone in your area.  

On 8/31/2020 at 5:25 PM, ukswrath said:

Brit I'm in the GGG, just a stones throw from CCG, feel free to hit me up. I might be able to refer you to someone in your area.  

Oh nice, i'm actually in Sacramento, so we're not too far from you. It's a weird area between other garrisons, and i'm not sure how all that works

Heyo. Got bored waiting to work on my kit. Here's a quick reference that I could tell. It looks like you have spare parts because I believe KB provides the FOTK parts and additional parts to upgrade to Phasma. 

rlsatIGl.png

Just realized how different the TFA and TLJ kits are. TFA has additional shin armor, where TLJ has spats - convenient. Belt is different too, among other things. 

Good luck on the build!

On 9/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, Sea_Marshall said:

Heyo. Got bored waiting to work on my kit. Here's a quick reference that I could tell. It looks like you have spare parts because I believe KB provides the FOTK parts and additional parts to upgrade to Phasma. 

Good luck on the build!

Dude, thanks so much! That's a huge help - I've been focusing on the body armor and putting off assembling the boxes because it was all so confusing.

Thanks to 3-day weekend, i'll be getting quite a bit done on trimming/sanding (once it isn't 110*!)

Meanwhile, my friend thought it was crazy that I hadn't tried on any pieces yet, so I finished up trimming the spats and thigh, and did my initial fit test. I'll have to take off close to 4" to get a good fit on the thigh, they were HUGE.

GaPDELC.jpg

yYxWiEa.jpg

I also started cutting down my back and yolk pieces - FYI to anyone working with black ABS, white chalk markers are THE BESt for marking where to cut. 

I tried to be a bit technical about where I was cutting, I know it doesn't really matter but w/e.

5nx7jhr.jpg

I4dJOBr.jpg

AwPe4eV.jpg

Got all this done before I made lunch and burned the crap out of my finger! Now i'll be taking a break :(

Edited by indiechixor

Stayed up waay too late finishing up cutting my main pieces! 

Again, marking what to cut and keep made things less scary.

AeQXdfd.jpg

GHSfWxL.jpg

eudPUtB.jpg

And now for the initial fit tests! Side-by-side comparison (yes I 'shopped 2 pics together)

QfjetJI.jpg

Hard to tell if my back piece is too high or the Abs are too low

jinHhK9.jpg

Overall, very happy!

v4iFmTC.jpg

Edited by indiechixor
  • Like 1

This weekend I have virtual Guard Drill (real-life trooping!) so i'm focusing on printing my Bucket. Unfortunately, I had an issue with scale that I didn't notice until I had spent 1kg of filament and 3 days of printing. I guess I'll call them my test pieces as I learn to apply and sand bondo. Link to the .stl

iHL4leF.jpg

Otherwise, I bought the fabric for my gaskets and cape (Labor day sale at Joanns!) which ill be sewn "eventually".  I also plan on buying my shoes soon, as I need to have them prior to cutting down my feet armor.

That's it for my phasma update of the week, hopefully I can get some work done with sanding this weekend, I'll just need to wear my respirator due to the smoke/unhealthy air issue.

Edited by indiechixor

• 2 weeks later...

Weekend Update:

Mucho sanding.

upXrf2S.jpg

Always wear your PPE!

E1kDghk.jpg

After a first pass I realized I was going to have some issues that occurred while printing. The .STL I chose was very screen accurate, but unfortunately did not survive the scaling up process. I got some pretty nasty bumps, and while a smart person would have re-printed the part, I went for "quick up-front, pay for it later in post-processing."  Hence:

5G2NGWp.jpg?1

Also, I was worried I would continue to lose my lines with every pass of bondo/sanding. 

Therefore, after much pouting and worrying, I finally buckled down and starting masking the shucks out of it.

A7GGVLF.jpg?1

RuOeg8R.jpg

After my next pass of bondo & sanding, it was starting to look pretty smooth

RFASyQM.jpg

Next up: continued passess of bondo putty & body, more masking, many hours of sanding.

Edited by indiechixor

Assembly: Forearm

While I wait for my Plexus MA310  to arrive, I decided I needed to finally buckle down and figure out how to assemble the scary first piece of armor: The forearm. 

I've been looking at other build threads, and I think that i'm going to copy @Sea_Marshall's method (thread here). 

But first, obligatory reference photos (so I don't have to keep finding them in my camera roll)

Left arm

Nnm8RIj.png

Right arm

FOREARM_CROP_TLJ_PHAS.jpg

More Screenshots:

So far, the best look at the inside of the bracer

kZOYUcz.jpg

7L0r5M4.jpg

This is the image i'm basing how thick to make the wrist portion of the forearm:

6kcFyC2.png

I've been delaying the inevitable first piece by focusing on my helmet build, but really feel like I should be getting more work done on the body too... though it's not like I have much else going on and this global pandemic just keeps happening so it's really nice to have something to keep me busy.

Edited by indiechixor

Thats a lot of filling and sanding, good on you for sticking it out. I go for dinner prints these days as my hands can't do a lot of sanding, longer to print but a single pass of spray putty and good to go.

With your research try to go off screen references above the CRL, they will be even more accurate.

Keep up the good work.