ESB Gloves

TK-1287

From reading on TK-300's website, he mentions that the ESB Gloves were made of silk, with the hand plates sewn on. I know that the handplates being sewn on is under no debates, but I was wondering about the validity of the gloves being silk? Hearing they are made of silk makes me glad that they aren't rubber, like in ANH, but I'd love to have the real material for my ESB Elite in the upcoming months. Searching around online, I have found this glove supplier, the silk gloves have a ribbed cuff, and are fairy cheap too. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on these three!

----------

Seirus Arctic Silk Glove Liner

---------

Thanks,

Andy

TK-1287

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

They all look like decent gloves, but the original ESB gloves were very short at the wrist. I used to have a pair that were very similar to what may have been used, but I sold them with the hand plates sewn on.

Here is a diagram showing the sewing pattern.

302786785_ESBholes(1).jpg.f91ccaa24c825a83726b945e8c872711.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I used regular black cotton to sew the hand plates to the gloves. Be warned, it is more tricky than you think to sew them on. It took me longer than I thought it would getting the plates lined up on the gloves and you cannot sew them on with your hands in gloves (for obvious reasons :P )

• 1 year later...
Both silk and rubber glover were used in esb so its your choice...

so I would sew them onto rubber gloves and I'd be GTG???

thanks for clearing this up!

THT

I think you might have problems with the stitching ripping the rubber. I have never really studied ESB gloves so I couldn't say if rubber gloves were used or not. Cotton lyrca or spandex would be a better choice to sew on IMO. The only hand plates that I have noticed that don't have the stitching on is the ROTJ style armour in the freezing chamber when the troopers are trying to cuff Chewie. Those hand plates would have been attached to the forearm and had a loop of elastic across the palm.

I think you might have problems with the stitching ripping the rubber. I have never really studied ESB gloves so I couldn't say if rubber gloves were used or not. Cotton lyrca or spandex would be a better choice to sew on IMO. The only hand plates that I have noticed that don't have the stitching on is the ROTJ style armour in the freezing chamber when the troopers are trying to cuff Chewie. Those hand plates would have been attached to the forearm and had a loop of elastic across the palm.

so it follows better form if I have drilled handplates to sew them on to silk gloves?

those type of gloves would be shorter at the wrist, and have basically no pattern?

cotton lycra sounds like a much more comfortable style.

and silk might be just an assumption?

now to find my ESB blaster?

now that's going to be fun!

troopermaster said:
Yeah I'd say silk was an assumption. I got some like these SATIN GLOVES which were perfect.

I just purchased them... now on to the blaster!

woo hoo... an ESB blaster looks like a bunch of fun.

all I need is that, and my helmet stickers... and I'm GTG

oh yeah... and a new belt from canada and a new canvas from

somewhere. I have a chazz belt... I wonder how good another

maker would be? might need one with a plastic insert.

I'm most likely going to have to support my current ANH style

with some plastic backing.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my gloves today... they are excellent!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 11/19/2009 at 12:10 AM, troopermaster said:

Yeah I'd say silk was an assumption. I got some like these ------------which were perfect.

Link doesn't work anymore. Short or long gloves?

Edited by gmrhodes13

How do the satin gloves feel on you? Grip, breathability, etc.

Breathability is incredible!

Grip?

You can hardly take them off once you have them on! :lol:

Actually they will be fine as I'm used to wearing rubber gloves with my TD; they don't fit my hands at all — I have Irish thumbs — and so it's like wearing some oversized gloves. These (i.e., the satin ones) fit great and give me a lot more control over what I can pick up.

For $14 bucks though — it was $7 for the gloves that much for shipping too — I can afford to get another pair and put some dabs of black latex on the finger tips if I need to.

Of course, if I did that, I'd have to have a 2nd pair of TM's hand plates... but that's not a big deal either.

Hope that helps!