Thigh Help (ATA Kit)

Evan1701

So I tried constructing my thighs per the instructions from other approved members in my local area, but it is not approvable by my GML. I am at a loss of what to do.

iFeNoG4.jpg

This picture is my attempt at finding a better location for the cover strip, which apparently wasn't the issue. The issue appears to be with the ridges, as I had to expand the thighs a great deal to fit me.

I do not have much expertise with ABS paste or a heat gun so I want to avoid using them. I feel like my only option left is to completely cut off the ridges, put a shim behind the open area, and paste in a shim over top to span the gap. And then slap the cover strip down the center. 

Do you guys see any other options here? Something easier perhaps? I've torn these thighs apart twice already per instructions from my GML, but the changes keep... well... changing every time I finish them.

Edited by Evan1701

Always best to check the CRL's and with your GML when every in doubt, some members may have been approved long before updates had been made. 

Standard thigh, notice the raised ridges are just next to the coverstrip

z75hUfR.jpg

Compared with yours which are extremely wide and then you have triangle cover strips which are half that gap.

iFeNoG4.jpg

A lot of people add in shims, ideal way would be to cut the sides add space them out so the ridges come back to the middle not like  you have there, then add ABS paste in the gaps/joons, sand and polish, sometimes paint and some filler may be needed depending on how the ABS paste dries and it's coloring.

ABS paste thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/

A rough example of what I mean

DzRWCtr.png

You could give your GML a copy of the image above and ask if that is what they are desiring ;) 

I know a few garrisons have approved really large triangle cover strips in the past but it's not a very nice look and most GML's won't approve them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

I think you need to get clarification from the GML as to what they want you to do. Is it possible to meet up with the GML? Maybe get some hands on guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, at this point you need to get specific information from your GML detailing exactly want to see.

• 1 month later...

(I'm not approved yet, work in progress), But it looks like you did what I did, but instead widening the cover strip - I added a backer, shim and plan to use ABS paste to fill the seams. The cover strip will go over all of that once its filled sanded and polished.

CbbQY0B.jpg

The return edges (ridges/raised edges) I fabricated from taking old scraps that had a 90 degree angle already bent and gluing them onto a backer bridge. I reinforced the gaps and wobble with ABS paste, it may crack, but right now it's pretty solid. I didn't make the edge fill all the way to the bottom, as you can see, I'm making plans for mobility cuts in pencil.

cpfWEhm.jpg

I hope this would give you some ideas.

Edited by fishgoh0nk