Rivet question

cr4nky

I was just wondering what to do with the backside of the rivets.

As I understand it, installing them is just to make a hole, put the rivet in there, a washer on the backside and then fasten it with the pliers until the "rod" snaps off. But when doing this you end up with a lump on the backside wich will stick out about 2mm.

I did a test where I used a diamond cuttingwheel on the Dremel to shorten it, the result was that the rivet got so hot the ABS melted.

So, what do you guys do?!

I was just wondering what to do with the backside of the rivets.

As I understand it, installing them is just to make a hole, put the rivet in there, a washer on the backside and then fasten it with the pliers until the "rod" snaps off. But when doing this you end up with a lump on the backside wich will stick out about 2mm.

I did a test where I used a diamond cuttingwheel on the Dremel to shorten it, the result was that the rivet got so hot the ABS melted.

So, what do you guys do?!

I use something similar to dremel, but you have to make some breaks between using it, then this rivet will be not that hot and don´t melt plastic.

That sounds like something I should have been able to figure out myself. I get tunnelvision whem I'm working...hehe. I'll try that. Got another tip from a co-worker, which I also should have been able to think of myself. Just glue a piece of foamrubber on top of it. Problem solved, no scratches.

Another option you could try is once you have installed the rivet, punch out the nail head that was used to flare the rivet and then flatten the protruding portion with a hammer. I did that on mine to help reduce snags on my undersuit.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a bad experience with the rivets. The rod, I guess, was stuck inside the riveter and wouldn't come out. Wouldn't snap it either. We ended up cutting out the rivet from my calf knee/knee plate with some wire cutters but now the riveter is toast.

Don't know where I went wrong, I drilled a hole, place the rivet in with the head on the INSIDE and then placed the rod inside the riveter.

Do you think I could just glue the knee plate onto the knee?

I just used a few rivets without having them attached to the kneeplate and they popped out perfect, looked perfect, etc. But when I just tried it with the knee plate it's like the riveter doesn't even want to hold onto the rod.

Yeah I'm using pop rivets I guess. I better start shaving down the excess and then buy some button ones then. :/ Also, will a regular metal file be sufficient in shaving them down?

Might as well throw this in here as well, do I rivet my abs belt to the strips provided, then to the ab, then velcro in the back?

2 rivets on either side of the belt and then just a wrap around, correct?