Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

OK - Time to get at 'er.  I'm taking a mental health day today, and plan to spend it on my armour.  I'm going to glue some cover strips and hopefully get my belt and gloves done too.

I've cleaned up and relocated my work station (my wife wanted the dining room back LOL) so I am now in the family room. I'm going to put Solo on the screen to start and get to work. 

Wish me luck, and watch for posts!

Thanks again to everyone for your support.  I'm already planning to make a build guide for future troopers with all the questions that I had and advice from all the mistakes I have made and will inevitably make moving forward!

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 1

Hey Chris - I trimmed a bit off my AP helmet opening.  Just take a little bit off at a time - it doesn't take much to make a difference.  I still can't get my bucket on while wearing a headset - I had to opt for mounting the mic in the helmet which makes getting kitted up a pain (have to feed the wire down the neck seal and get it plugged in behind my chest plate while wearing most of my armour - boo). 

And, oh yeah, I've removed and modified many cover strips.  I'll never use anything but E-6000.  I didn't realize that there is a shiny white side to the cover strips until I was done all my arm pieces and half way through my thighs.  Oops.

Good luck on your build day!

• Like 1

Open up your bucket opening a little at a time as you can't go back. I'd keep it as tight as possible so that people and especially kids can't see up into your bucket while you are wwearing it.

You could also try mounting your headset in your bucket, or wear earbuds and have a wireless mic in your bucket. It's really nice not to have a wire to worry about when you are getting dressed or undressed.

• Like 1

Got a few cover strips on.  1 more on a forearm and 1 bicep to go for the arms.  I'll have them wrapped up by tomorrow night.  I'll do the legs on Sat/Sun.

I also glued the buttons onto the chest plate and attached the plastic to the belt.  I'm picking up the split rivets and Line 20 snaps tomorrow morning as well.

If all goes well I'll have the belt and all over strips done by Monday, then it's strapping time!

ucc4dgq.jpg

The right thigh can be tricky.  The front seam return edge is slightly curved.  You may want to use an inner cover strip to get the two halves together - then clean it up with a outer coverstrip.  I found gluing half (lets say the bottom half) of the cover strip on first, waiting to dry, then gluing the upper half later allows you to slightly bend the coverstrip to match the gentle curve of the return edge.

Also, a lot of people end up making their thighs too small.  If you need to trim for height (ie trim material off the top) do that before final fitting for width. 

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't tried fitting the legs yet.  I'm pretty fortunate to be 5'9" and 175lbs.  Kind of the right size for off-the-shelf trooping, other than my oversized cranium apparently.

Looks like there will be a mini armor-party at my place on the 9th.

Thanks again to the community for helping out.  I look forward to repaying this to all the future troopers.

• Like 2

Saturday morning.  The cover strips are pretty much done on the arms. Still a little bit of sanding to do, and one of the strips isn't stuck too well on one edge.  

I have clamped the front strip to the left shin. I'll let it set and work on the back strips for both shins this afternoon.  Unlike Bud, I will make sure to put them on the right way the first time ;)

Q0dMQqs.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Unlike Bud, I will make sure to put them on the right way the first time ;)

Image result for drops the mic gif

Build is coming along nicely

So...Heading to bed soon.  Left shin cover strip is solid.  Right shin is clamped and gluing now.  Do I dare try to tackle to sniper knee?  I will research it tonight and tackle it freshly rested tomorrow morning.  I hope to get the belt done tomorrow as well.  ROb showed me a good method of doing the snaps.  I also want functional ammo cases on my belt so I'll rig up some kind of magnetic system for them.

Oh - and I may even get to the thermal detonator tomorrow. It's been too cold here to use the spray paint.

• Like 1

One thigh now drying.  Other needed a minor repair thanks to me working while tired and I trimmed the wrong side so the ABS paste is setting before a final sand.  It's going to be fine.

Line 20 snaps are done for the belt.  Only had to move one by about 1/8".  I think it sits at a good height.   

mmvzF1F.jpg

qw24K00.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, always double check the distance between your holster straps too, if different the straps will look angled ;) 

• Like 1

Sniper knee question:  What do you think of putting another strap of ABS behind the bottom portion of the knee, kind of like a horseshoe shape, to help with the shape and attaching?  Assuming it's not visible, it should be approvable no?

I'll put up a pic of my idea later... Just brainstorming during lunchtime at work.

41 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Sniper knee question:  What do you think of putting another strap of ABS behind the bottom portion of the knee, kind of like a horseshoe shape, to help with the shape and attaching?  Assuming it's not visible, it should be approvable no?

I'll put up a pic of my idea later... Just brainstorming during lunchtime at work.

If it can't been seen - then it shouldn't be a problem.  Good luck!

54 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Just as Q mentioned, as long as it's not seen you should be golden.  If in doubt, attach it with blue tape, take a pic and post it up.

Split rivets are in and painted white.  Holster is attached.  Last thigh front strip is gluing.  Not sure how much more I will get to tonight.  TD needs trimming to get to the right size and needs painting.  Maybe I'll run into the garage and do that while it's unseasonably warm.

yskrWmA.jpg

SWtvxR1.jpg

• Like 1

You could also add a couple of strips of abs behind your split rivets, if you then add a little glue before adding them they will help stop the elastic pulling through the rivets and washers ;) 

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You could also add a couple of strips of abs behind your split rivets, if you then add a little glue before adding them they will help stop the elastic pulling through the rivets and washers ;) 

Ah, but being exceptionally sneaky, I E6000ed the crap out of the fabric so really the rivets are ornamental :)

Rob (twosolitudes) walked me through his errors on Saturday and I came up with that idea shortly after.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Ah, but being exceptionally sneaky, I E6000ed the crap out of the fabric so really the rivets are ornamental :)

Rob (twosolitudes) walked me through his errors on Saturday and I came up with that idea shortly after.

Awesome, (doesn't include that in his post) sneaky bugger :laugh1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Awesome, (doesn't include that in his post) sneaky bugger :laugh1:

I had just pointed out that my rivets are starting to work their way through the nylon. I used the strip of ABS, but not any extra E6000. I’m going to want to take that section apart one day and give it a re-do.

I also recommended reinforcing the torso around the split rivet holes to guard against small stress cracks (which I also have:().

• Like 1