Fish's ANOVOS Build Thread - Aspiring for L3

fishgoh0nk

6 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

I was in bed, but I wanted answer you asap as I don't seem to catch you in the day -- good thing I took some photos earlier yesterday of placement. These were taken in succession.

dyexlVx.jpg

2KlFKQA.jpg

Edit: I took this before gluing the snaps/straps.

Would you recommend a hot water bath for the covers? If i were to glue as-is, I fear there would be a lot of strain on the current angle.

The chest looks as if it is sitting right where it should be, (maybe a tad higher if it's comfortable), and a hot water bath wouldn't hurt, especially if you feel that they are strained.   As long as you can get at least 3 of the "bumps" and the large bump (no less) glued on to your chest plate you should be fine.

• Like 1

Didn't get to post anything last night - but I did manage to finish the thermal detonator. Tony's post never mentioned that once you put the end cap on for the ANOVOS TD, you'll have to heat it up again to get it off :)

I cut the tube to 7-1/4 inch, sanded and painted with gunship gray.

AAIyKzs.jpg

My measurements were a bit off, i think due to the uneven cutting of one side using a dremel, the end cap had a gap between the paint and where it should've been. Had to bag, tape and recut. 

5NMqnEF.jpg

FhJWi2x.jpg

While test fitting the armor, I find that the screws that I had painted white seems to be getting scratched, lot of paint rubbing away from the edge of the screws - I'm guessing these will need to be repainted for L3 approval?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Didn't get to post anything last night - but I did manage to finish the thermal detonator. Tony's post never mentioned that once you put the end cap on for the ANOVOS TD, you'll have to heat it up again to get it off :)

I cut the tube to 7-1/4 inch, sanded and painted with gunship gray.

AAIyKzs.jpg

My measurements were a bit off, i think due to the uneven cutting of one side using a dremel, the end cap had a gap between the paint and where it should've been. Had to bag, tape and recut. 

5NMqnEF.jpg

FhJWi2x.jpg

While test fitting the armor, I find that the screws that I had painted white seems to be getting scratched, lot of paint rubbing away from the edge of the screws - I'm guessing these will need to be repainted for L3 approval?

TD looks great! if you don't mind, can you specify which screws you are talking about please? some paint rub isn't really a bad thing as it kinda falls under weathering, but if the paint completely comes off, it will need to be redone

5 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

TD looks great! if you don't mind, can you specify which screws you are talking about please? some paint rub isn't really a bad thing as it kinda falls under weathering, but if the paint completely comes off, it will need to be redone

Oh, I was talking about the Mr. Nostripes screws for the bracketing system. Apaprently, they're rubbing against the screws on the adjacent piece of armor, since the point of contact is on the same plane.

PLf0bMB.jpg

1 minute ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Oh, I was talking about the Mr. Nostripes screws for the bracketing system. Apaprently, they're rubbing against the screws on the adjacent piece of armor, since the point of contact is on the same plane.

PLf0bMB.jpg

I personally would feel that this falls exactly in line with screen shots of screen used armor, and think that should be acceptable. But I will refer to @justjoseph63 or @ukswrath as they will be the ones to approve or deny due to this. I will say though that I can suggest if it worries you that much, let it be for now, then when you are going to take submission photos for approval/EIB/Centurion, lay down a coat of paint on them making them fresh for the photos. shouldn't hurt at all!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

That happens a lot, James, so I wouldn't sweat it.  As long as they have white paint on them (even if a bit has rubbed off) it's not a big deal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Awesome dedication:D and great work, you even did an extra shin strap:duim:

Yea, I figured my legs might just rip through these one day... I've had wardrobe malfunctions before, won't let that happen to me troopin'!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

I've had wardrobe malfunctions before, won't let that happen to me troopin'!

Good thinking:duim: and if all else fails - white gaffa tapeB)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Who am I? Carrie Fisher? :P

Haha I was more thinking in the line of these fin gents that secured her:D

PbKTau4.jpg

They ran out of white here though ans she`s maaaad about it:P

quGbpy4.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Haha I was more thinking in the line of these fin gents that secured her:D

Haha, guess not everyone watched the SW bonus DVDs, apparently Carrie Fisher had to use gaffer tape to hold down some stuff. I've never heard the term 'gaffer tape' used before, until she mentioned it in the bonus content; that word is now permanently ingrained in my mind as associated to holding up princess privates.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/carrie-fisher-gaffer-tape.50016468/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Haha, guess not everyone watched the SW bonus DVDs, apparently Carrie Fisher had to use gaffer tape to hold down some stuff. I've never heard the term 'gaffer tape' used before, until she mentioned it in the bonus content; that word is now permanently ingrained in my mind as associated to holding up princess privates.

If you'd seen many gaffers, you'd lose that association really fast. LOL

But Gaffer's tape is awesome.  I wish I'd never had to use duct tape before I discovered the joy that is Gaffer's tape, by comparison!

2 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

I did know that:duim: Apparently there`s no underwear in space according to Lucas and the standing joke on set was who would get to rip it of:D

finally got my 600+ grit sand papers - definitely a lot smoother and glossier moving on up all the way 1200. This is basically an ATA + ANOVOS hybrid left bicep, used a sealing iron to turn the return edge of the ATA into part of the inner bicep. There was material remaining, so a file was used and the sand papers, then Novus 123 polish. Biceps are curing:

1N7FrED.jpg

Kittle's belt got here, so I got started rehashing the existing ANOVOS belt for L3. I really dread removing the epoxy and material from inside those buttonns... ::shudder::

sIReBRe.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

finally got my 600+ grit sand papers - definitely a lot smoother and glossier moving on up all the way 1200. This is basically an ATA + ANOVOS hybrid left bicep, used a sealing iron to turn the return edge of the ATA into part of the inner bicep. There was material remaining, so a file was used and the sand papers, then Novus 123 polish. Biceps are curing:

1N7FrED.jpg

Kittle's belt got here, so I got started rehashing the existing ANOVOS belt for L3. I really dread removing the epoxy and material from inside those buttonns... ::shudder::

sIReBRe.jpg

Looking good. keep it up!

• Like 1

Use a Dremel, if possible, and GO SLOW on removing the epoxy.  That stuff is hellish.  Nice that the new belts come unassembled, but I wish they had started that sooner!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kman said:

Use a Dremel, if possible, and GO SLOW on removing the epoxy.  That stuff is hellish.  Nice that the new belts come unassembled, but I wish they had started that sooner!

Good tip, i'll start on it when I have some room to work in so I don't breathe it all in!

I assembled all the brackets, and actually had a chance to wear it. Thighs for effect, but not held up, and i wasn't able to pull them all the way up today, leg day was yesterday and  they're super swole :P

KDFqR80.jpg

MnpnlNJ.jpg

EMNvolx.jpg

I haven't peeled off the protective layer yet, I'm THAT guy. I will however, once the shoulder covers are installed, glue on the button panels.

I do have a question about the cover straps however; does anyone have a good method to align the straps so they:

1. cover the elastic

2. look centered in the front as well as the back

3. is it a 2 person job?

Can someone post pictures how the cover strips for the shoulder should look when worn?

Don't worry too much about the back.  That'll all work itself out.  Just center the straps on the "nubs" coming off the chest piece, in line with the direction that nub heads (perpendicular to the edge).  You'll want the big front bump plus 2-3 of the smaller bumps to be in contact with the chest, the rest can lay over the strapping and touch the back plate.

Here's when I glued mine on:

20160303175034-59fe833a-me.jpg

I wanted to keep my armor as nice as possible (I've since gotten over that), so I kept the plastic on until the very end, too.  SUPER fun to tear it all off on that last day. :) So no need to be ashamed of that!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kman said:

Don't worry too much about the back.  That'll all work itself out.  Just center the straps on the "nubs" coming off the chest piece, in line with the direction that nub heads (perpendicular to the edge).  You'll want the big front bump plus 2-3 of the smaller bumps to be in contact with the chest, the rest can lay over the strapping and touch the back plate.

Here's when I glued mine on:

20160303175034-59fe833a-me.jpg

I wanted to keep my armor as nice as possible (I've since gotten over that), so I kept the plastic on until the very end, too.  SUPER fun to tear it all off on that last day. :) So no need to be ashamed of that!

Thanks for the picture, do you have a close up of you wearing it? I'm more curious about how the cover sits in relation to the elastic underneath. I'm wondering if approvers will be concerned about the look of that. Let's so i glue it on centered on the front, but there's some exposure of elastic (you can see it from profile), and the back doesn't really line up. Would that be a problem? I guess it depends on how bad it looks huh?

8 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Can someone post pictures how the cover strips for the shoulder should look when worn?

Have a look through approved EIB and/or Centurion applications for the bridges and overall look :salute:

5 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Strapped the bells :) don't worry, the lengths are the same. The camera distorts!

TO9TbPs.jpg

7 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Thanks for the picture, do you have a close up of you wearing it? I'm more curious about how the cover sits in relation to the elastic underneath. I'm wondering if approvers will be concerned about the look of that. Let's so i glue it on centered on the front, but there's some exposure of elastic (you can see it from profile), and the back doesn't really line up. Would that be a problem? I guess it depends on how bad it looks huh?

Couple things, first off on your shoulders, that snap should be sitting right up against your bell. what is gonna happen with them where they are is that your shoulder are going to pull away from your body and cause gapping between the shoulders and the bridge, this is a big deal when it comes to higher levels of approval.

Second, I think your chest can actually come down a little. Not sure if you have put your bucket on with that torso or not, but you will realize that you have little visibility, and looking down is almost impossible, every bit of movement you can get out of your armor is key, with your chest "Neck" sitting that close to your neck, your wont be able to tilt your head down at all, and your bucket will be popping your chest armor. you could probably bring it down about an inch or so. With the straps, you really shouldn't have any issue with alignment. I don't really see anything "sticking out" and once the elastic is there, you will be able to line up the plastic straps right over them. also, you will have a 1/4 inch piece of elastic that "ties" your plastic strap to the elastic one, so they will keep each other in line. You may have some pull on the elastic from the shoulder bell connection, but not so much that its crazy exposed.  

On 2/24/2016 at 11:35 AM, ukswrath said:

Continuing on...

9c. Shoulder Bell strap installation cont...

We left off making the elastic that attaches the bell to the shoulder elastic. In this segment we'll attach that same strap and install the lower bell elastic strap also.

In the shoulder strap assembly segment we placed the female snaps approximately 3/4" from the inside (neck side) of the 2" shoulder to back elastic. This leaves 1-1/4" gap between the same snap and the outer (shoulder) side of the elastic. 

The goal is set up the bells for a nice tight fit against your shoulders and the chest plate cover strip. Probably the #1 recommended correction at the Centurion level.

IMG_6973.jpg

Prepare for assembly and apply glue to armor.

IMG_6976.jpg

4 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

Couple things, first off on your shoulders, that snap should be sitting right up against your bell. what is gonna happen with them where they are is that your shoulder are going to pull away from your body and cause gapping between the shoulders and the bridge, this is a big deal when it comes to higher levels of approval.

I was wondering about that - I gave the strap exactly 1.25 inches so when the black shoulder bell elastic is resting, the tip of the bell touches the white elastic used for the shoulder attachment so no black is showing. I guess I'll have to wear it to see how far the elastic stretches. I'm not using the ANOVOS supplied elastic, so it's actually a lot more taut... hope I don't have to redo this...