New Zealand FO-TK wip from 850

darthkenny

cut some shins out and cast the first clips. I tried curving the anovos mold to make them better shape for connecting later.

Would have got more done but I bought slow set :-(. This took so much less resin than I expected so I cast another kylo belt clip too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sly11
Image links broken and unrecoverable

Not getting much time in the workshop to cut.
Plus it’s cold. Been whipping up clips. Some have come out perfect and a couple haven’t. Blame it on impatiences, a couple were taken out too soon and expanded a bit warping the shape a little. One must have gotten a little water as it went funny and puffy. Water is the enemy of polyurethane. The big one is a bit rubbery and oddly flexible.

Edited by Sly11

This is where it gets exciting :smiley-sw013:

I have a codpiece question for you Tony. The last jedi crl says correct cod peice but both tfa and tlj have the same stock photo. Lookin at behind the scene images I can’t see a difference????

0ff194e5a24804b38940f585a3653d99.jpg

And here’s a scene with 3 different cods.

47a20eb2722c2a832c07215a6caa984b.jpg

Yea the new TLJ cod looks like a bad 1980s bikini. Granted it does appear to vary between troopers, not sure if it's lighting or something else however, the TLJ cods are clearly different than the TFA cousins. 

The TFA cod is ok for basic approval hence the same image, this will not doubt change once amror makers add them to their kits.

It's definitely different though hence a requirement for higher levels

NUKrHzf.jpg

• Like 1

The TFA cod is ok for basic approval hence the same image, this will not doubt change once amror makers add them to their kits.

It's definitely different though hence a requirement for higher levels

Looks fairly easy to trim down fo tla, just no going back. And a small crease..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of sanding and detail cutting. Also started the torso sanding, and making the opening at the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Sly11

1 hour ago, darthkenny said:

Looks fairly easy to trim down fo tla, just no going back. And a small crease..

Actually it's more to build up on, I tried 3 different versions until I was happy, the first a trimmed down sized TFA and it ended up being too narrow. Also the TFA has a round bulge at the end, the TLJ has more of a fatter curve which does not stop like the TFA it continues under the wearer.

If you look at the images below the top is the same width as the TFA but the sides do not curve in like the TFA so you need to add to it or if you try to trim down until the sides are straight you will end up with it looking too thin. Also it is much longer, as you can see if you compare the gaps between some of the armor in TFA to TLJ.

HtK7eEf.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Actually it's more to build up on, I tried 3 different versions until I was happy, the first a trimmed down sized TFA and it ended up being too narrow. Also the TFA has a round bulge at the end, the TLJ has more of a fatter curve which does not stop like the TFA it continues under the wearer.

If you look at the images below the top is the same width as the TFA but the sides do not curve in like the TFA so you need to add to it or if you try to trim down until the sides are straight you will end up with it looking too thin. Also it is much longer, as you can see if you compare the gaps between some of the armor in TFA to TLJ.

HtK7eEf.png

I suspect they changed it for better mobility but common lol  

Glued the sides of the torso. Tried something different from everyone here. I used ABS solvent glue. Seams pretty solid.

Sanded and painted the resin weaver forearms. Was pretty rough printing, but 850 have said they’ve only included these for this run as an extra bonus. Putty and lots of primer still have left more texture than I’d like.

The part I was most disappointed with was the thermal detonator, the end caps looked rough and not very symmetrical. So I found some perfect size pvc pipe stepdowns.

3 minutes ago, darthkenny said:

I think it’s still doable.

Oh it's doable as I've done it, but I find it's not as comfortable to walk in as the TFA cod is, mainly as it's lower .

• 2 weeks later...

All the rough cutting and gluing is done. I decided that because this abs was so easy to cut if I assembled the parts I could ensure symmetry and evenness at the joins.

Sanding begins tomorrow. I also figure it’s time to start sanding the 3d printed blaster too.

Edited by Sly11

• 2 weeks later...

Shoulder supports. Little bit more trimming as the outside tabs and a little more sanding then it’s ready to attach.

Nowhere near as nice as Tony’s but what can be???

Edited by Sly11

144a626c89c696a1bb16dc2295333e6e.jpg

I have added some extra abs to make sure the shins have more over lap.

Also glued on the shoulder brace. It holds the whole thing nice and secure. I may add a strip of webbing and foam for added support and comfort.

Next step filling the yoke and the seams to look pretty.

I’ve used a goop epoxy paste as no bondo in New Zealand. This stuff is pretty easy to work with except it sticks to gloves.

Distracted from building by pillars of eternity Ii

Edited by Sly11

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ukswrath said:

A handheld sander like the Back & Decker Mouse works great for sanding in tight, time consuming areas. 

I just got one, smallest I could find here. 

3BA3557C-6F2E-4DD2-B699-1B153D742E04.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/4/2018 at 10:30 PM, darthkenny said:

I just got one, smallest I could find here. 

Yep that works. Word of advice, go to Amazon and buy a pack of 400 grit to finish off areas. If not you'll be lathering your armor with spot putty to get rid of the sanding swirl marks. 

• Like 1

Went to a car crash today. No one really hurt but on the side of the road we’re some beautiful pieces of Toyota Camry brake lights. Perfect for the f11-d blaster lights

123b7c5a0ca8e8b3806f7c45e9b7337d.jpg