Copper's TM ANH Stunt Build

Copper

Yes, you'll need to adjust the ridge size in accordance with your cover strip size. Definitely use the butt-join method vice the overlap method. If you need to make the thighs smaller, cut material out of the back.

• Like 1

The overlap was just for sizing and the photo. Everything I've done so far has been butt-jointed (hoping for Centurion down the road). Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the pic. Lucnak has it right. Trim the back of the thighs for size, keep the ridges on the front. Leave some room for muscle flex.

I went to the hardware store today to get the split rivets, "Chicago" rivets, and TD screws. Research has told me 5/16 split rivets. The only thing they had were 1/8" x 5/16", and the heads looked very small compared to everyone's photos. Can somebody tell me the proper head diameter, or is that the 5/16 measurement? The Chicago rivets and TD screws are good to go. Thanks.

Making some progress. Snaps and elastic strapping are coming along.
I found the answer to my rivet question (should be 5/16 diameter head). I'll need to order those on Trooperbay.
Drilled the holes for the belt snaps. Luckily TM has the location marked. It's still nerve-wracking drilling into the armor though.
0bf9c2838fbf4e2f2b456dab12097b98.jpg
bce011f93fc714176328420e1abd7601.jpg
c7b058b4fa292f33f54789c3425f229c.jpg

A little more progress:
Boots ordered from Imperial Boots
Rivets and flexible hand guards ordered from justjoseph
Neck seal and holster ordered from Darman
Torso is all strapped and this is my first fitting with straps and not tape.

19b887b8d71434b7fa7ecf9be4535b49.jpg
ef3ea95f79d9c1db9ef603adc04974f9.jpg

Thighs should be ready to go tomorrow:
bfad52bd4ce1dff559c2e0cf8c3ccd7c.jpg

Can anybody suggest something to get better alignment on the side seams? Maybe just tighter elastic where there's a gap? Not so many potato chips? The return edges aren't 90 degrees, so it doesn't seem like I can just line them up and pull them tight together.
069f27d617fca495cea7f87026639bfe.jpg
41fb818ebb82e6eefc6cf4f6570ae532.jpg

Bucket has been stripped of straps, lens, and foam and prepped for black lining. Still deciding which route to go for that. Any suggestions are welcome! I've read that Plastidip is not good for breathing in confined spaces. Rustoleum spray paint? Thin, dark foam layers glued in? Not sure yet.
da9c8ea3f0275b168be031ecb3e93136.jpg
55df67a41165b8c0b6d773b97eec551b.jpg

Thanks

I used plastidip in my bucket. The ab and kidney should have the return removed where they butt up. Should be easier to line up after that.

Edited by lucnak
typo

Another question - since I'm taller than the average TK, the space between the chest plate and back plate at the shoulders is more than the average.Ā  The shoulder straps/bridges cover the gap, but only with a couple bumps on either end.Ā  Is it allowable to glue the elastic to the under side of the shoulder bridges?Ā  The shape doesn't match the elastic so the elastic will be easily visible and the CRL requires white elastic.Ā  I know they need to be free-floating over the back plate, which I can still do.

Thanks for the advice.

Your strapping is too tight which is causing the overlap on your waist. The back section is butted up too tightly as well. The parts want to be loose so the armour can move as you move. IĀ like toĀ leave a small gap between the parts.

b3ItgWk.jpg

Ā 

Regarding the shoulder bridges, glue 3 or 4 of the thin strips onto your chest plate to allow more coverage onto the back plate. I have built armour for people 6' 6" before so it can be done :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Paul.Ā  I added some room between the back plate and the kidney with slightly longer straps.Ā  I still have the issue with the sides not lining up, but I think it's a size issue.Ā  I'll try adjusting the straps and "sucking it in" a little bit.Ā  Once I get that sorted, I'll get the shoulder bridges in place and post some pictures.

2 hours ago, Copper said:

I still have the issue with the sides not lining up

What do the sides look like when you're not wearing the armour?

Ā 

Hang the armour on a coat hanger and the sides should just meet, same with the rest of the parts. The elastic just keeps it all together - there shouldn't really be any tension on the straps.

Here are the left and right sides as the armor is hanging. Not bad for gaps and alignment. My back side pushes out the butt and kidney, so the gap increases at the bottom of the ab-kidney joint and decreases and overlaps at the top of that joint. Like I mentioned, probably time for fewer chips.
5191274ae97d963dd85725c16e5e0789.jpg
72b4409438f127564073f262e5e0b105.jpg

With the kit on:
6e7806c2a6b1f08c5e8c8cc334b1077c.jpg

Good point about the belt.Ā  I'm concerned about passing EIB or Centurion, and I've seen others' submission photos where they line up perfectly, and that's what I was shooting for.Ā  I'll get everything put together and see how it looks.Ā  Thanks again!

A few little updates:
My rivets and silicone hand guards arrived from justjoseph (thanks!). Does anybody have a good way to get rid of the smell of the black rubber gloves?

The rivets are installed in the torso and ammo pack:
9b9c1343c373b3c180ce3600ea652ece.jpg
85ba25755d67330e4354b12f243283a1.jpg

The ab buttons need some trimming for size and will then be ready to glue on:
d1fbbe073063ffcdf598b2aef0caae6c.jpg

I have the shoulder bells, biceps, and forearms all linked up and ready to connect to the shoulder straps:
e04bf0a9ed75470e01eaccb749b0c85b.jpg

My neck seal and holster from Darman are scheduled to be delivered today. I'll try to suit up later and have some photos posted for feedback.

I still need a belt, so I'll be digging into the sales area to find a good one later too.

Feedback please!
Here's what I have so far:
0cdba5804a758b6a1c43984670495211.jpg

e0cd1a39930907bf7d521d810a9576e3.jpg

I'm waiting on my boots so no shins yet. I picked up duck canvas to try my luck at a belt. Shoulder bridges will go on if I get a green light from the group. TD is on the schedule for next week. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Ran into an issue tonight. As I was fitting the belt together to mark for rivets, it didn't lay flat against the ab. Turns out the snap hit the back of the ABS, not one of the voids behind the belt. Looks like I'll need to relocate both the male and female end of the snap and plug a hole in the ab. Bummer.
7fdca8b671ddad345e7fee79d4d611b6.jpg
6027ddfe0ce0a3b8bc9a541a83c82641.jpg

Perhaps not,Ā  from the looks of it the snap just touches the corner of the bump as you can see here on the RS beltĀ :) Put the canvas over the plastic belt like so and place it so the snaps resembles this Picture OR other way around and by pushing on the plastic belt find were the snaps "click right" then mark the center hole and fasten it, place the belt on the ab (snap it on) and mark the outer ones. (you can find this better explaned with pics on TM:s FB Look for hero-build):duim:

DSC02498.jpg

I followed the post you referred to on TM's FB Hero build. I had the canvas belt snapped to the torso, lined up the plastic belt, and marked the middle. I riveted the center, wrapped around the left side, and riveted the left side. I failed to check both sides for alignment before riveting the center and left side.
Since the extra hole in the canvas and the hole in the ab will be covered, I guess it's not that bad of a hiccup.

A few more things to check on the to-do list:

My boots arrived from Imperial Boots. Shipping from Hong Kong to Wisconsin was less than a week! They feel great and now I can size the shins. Front strips are drying now.
6577d1b7c3206c65595133428b620f88.jpg

Shoulder bridges are on. I can't remember whose tip it was, but gluing the extra ABS under the first, large bumps made a big impact on surface area to glue to the chest plate.
730d6332c0d3fa3597cb4cf2766ad205.jpg

Canvas belt is assembled, including plastic inside to prevent dropping at the holster, and drop boxes and holster installed.
ec803adb1093c97465e084d0a00f003e.jpg
4236583786291e0be0ceb046857c9a76.jpg

Gloves, TD, and helmet interior coming soon.

Looks good! I'm working on my torso as well. Good idea for the shoulder straps. I heard that they're prone to breaking. I was going to order my boots from IB, too. Where did you order your neck seal from?Ā