Shopping for a heat gun?

So I’m at the point I want a heat gun to form some pieces on my ABS kit. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for what kind of heat gun to go for, or if anyone will work? 

I do know the temperature for heat guns ranges a lot. So mostly just wondering if I should get one that stays a little cooler around 100•c to keep from biting the ABS or something hotter up to like 550•c?

Can I ask which pieces and which areas you need the heat gun on, John?  (Photos would be great)! The reason being is that heat guns can reach temperatures of 1200 degrees, and unless you have experience using one or LOTS of large ABS scraps to practice on you can ruin a piece of armor in less than 10 seconds.  (Been there, done that).

Many areas can be fixed with a hot water bath (which is much more controllable_ and that may be the case for your needs.  Keep us informed, and like I mentioned, pics would be a huge help.

As Joseph said, Using a heat gun can ruin a piece of armor in seconds and it is very hard to come back from that. If its just for armor try using a heat bath first. With that being said, most heat guns have a temperature setting on them so you can adjust the heat as you want and anyone with a temp setting should be fine for what you need. I have a generic one and a Milwaukie one myself.  If you are going to use them practice on scrap pieces first and be very careful.  

Seconding all the cautions to be very careful when working with a heat gun- it's all true, and definitely practice on a scrap piece.  I have a cheapie from Harbor Freight, it has high and low.  I couldn't begin to tell you the actual temps, but both are pretty hot (ie don't stick your hand directly in front of it). 

The biggest trick is to KEEP MOVING.  Don't let the gun sit steady and hover over any given spot of armor- yes, this is tempting because it makes the process go faster, but it also ruins things that much faster.  Move it back and forth like a pendulum swing.  Also don't get too close to the armor in question- same temptations and reasons as above.  I'd recommend no less than six inches from your armor piece, preferably eight to ten inches.  

I use mine in combination with a clamp to get my forearms to a more circular shape when they want to go oval on me (so far a once a year thing for me).  I tried the hot water trick, which works if you only need a little bend; I needed significantly more and the hot water trick just didn't hold.  

What armor piece are you trying to work with?  That also makes a different.  There are also heat irons, but I personally didn't have any luck with one and prefer the gun.  It's all personal preference.  Also, if inexperienced, the heat iron is used directly on the armor, while the gun is not.  Food for thought there.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the information! 
Here are a few examples of the parts I want to reshape.
This is the top of the thigh.

Npeegsq.jpg

Here are the biceps, This will be covered by the shoulders but I still would like to shape it to match better.

kE6ND0x.jpg

Here is the back of the thigh. I do not like how it currently doesn't match at all and the cover strip will only enhance the mismatched sides.

O2EGlA9.jpg

You will definitely not need a heat gun for that, John.  As a matter of fact, you can (and I highly suggest it) eliminate the entire return edge on the top of the thighs, front, back and especially inside (otherwise it can cause chafing in that area.  This is 100% screen accurate, and I have a photo of some screen used thighs below.

You can also remove all the return edge on the tops of the biceps.  They are hidden by the shoulder bells and not seen anyway.

As for the back of the thigh, you can simply bend it into place.  (Seriously).  ABS is flexible enough to do this, and it should stay with no problem.  If you have an overlap, just (carefully) trim the excess, but make sure there is no gap or at least a VERY minimal one.  (Photo 2)

5NHq1HI.jpg?3     

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I purchased the cheapest one I could find at the local hardware store, I do suggest a lot of practice on scraps though, ABS has a quick turn from pliable to a soggy mess ;) 

I also second trimming all return edges from the bottom of your thighs- it's not visibly noticeable when wearing it and it will also help prevent armor bites and digging in to the back of your knee (painful, to say the least, I speak from experience).  Feel free to post in progress pictures if you'd like more guidance.  The EIB and Centurion application threads are also a great resource for close up shots.  

• Like 1

Rebecca is 100% correct about the "armor bite", and you can also trim out the backs of the upper part of the calf pieces if you find that they pinch.  Here is a shot of a screen used calf to show what I mean:

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020