AP ANH Stunt Build

Steaditrooper

Here is the sniper knee. The left side of the shin was raised almost 3/8" higher when gluing in order to bring that side of the sniper knee up. Without doing that it would be considerably more tilted.

vEWQLjNl.jpg

I could pull it all apart and bring that side up even more but then the whole left shin would be too short on me after trimming the bottom to even it out.

The calf closure. You can see in the photo how the cover strip as straightened out the calf on those sides. They were much closer to having the same curve before the cover strip was glued on.

naAU5QBl.jpgDjYkYI8l.jpg You can see how straight it is,

CQ3nLWBl.jpg

The elastic should be able to close that, can they be shortened for more pull? And there's always be some gap with "hook" closure....for a tight fit on the seem velcro is the better option however not screen accurate:smiley-sw013: put it on and we can have a look:) (If you haven't removed the elastic already)

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Here is the sniper knee. The left side of the shin was raised almost 3/8" higher when gluing in order to bring that side of the sniper knee up. Without doing that it would be considerably more tilted.

vEWQLjNl.jpg

I could pull it all apart and bring that side up even more but then the whole left shin would be too short on me after trimming the bottom to even it out.

I've been avoiding the shins because of this. I was going to offset the pieces like you mentioned but I didn't even consider that they may be too short afterwards. Did you ask Mark if he has any other tricks?  I was really hoping you would sort this out before I attempted it :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

I've been avoiding the shins because of this. I was going to offset the pieces like you mentioned but I didn't even consider that they may be too short afterwards. Did you ask Mark if he has any other tricks?  I was really hoping you would sort this out before I attempted it :)  

If you can afford to raise the left side more then do it. I haven't found anyone here who was my height (5'10") who could get this thing straight without chopping off a bunch at the bottom. Compared to what it looked like before raising the left half (the right hand side of the pic) it was really crooked. I probably could have glued it up differently but then the edge wouldn't be angled or lined up properly for Centurion approval. I might be able to go another 1/4" higher but that might drop the whole piece to a place where it looks weird or worse, my calf would keep it high on my leg and it would look like flood pants on that side.

Edited by Sean

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

The elastic should be able to close that, can they be shortened for more pull? And there's always be some gap with "hook" closure....for a tight fit on the seem velcro is the better option however not screen accurate:smiley-sw013: put it on and we can have a look:) (If you haven't removed the elastic already)

The elastic doesn't even come close to closing it. I actually installed them all a little tight to help close the gap but it didn't work at all. If I can't correct it with the heat gun tonight I will be using velcro for now and try to fix it after approval.

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

If you can afford to raise the left side more then do it. I haven't found anyone here who was my height (5'10") who could get this thing straight without chopping off a bunch at the bottom. Compared to what it looked like before raising the left half (the right hand side of the pic) it was really crooked. I probably could have glued it up differently but then the edge wouldn't be angled or lined up properly for Centurion approval. I might be able to go another 1/4" higher but that might drop the whole piece to a place where it looks weird or worse, my calf would keep it high on my leg and it would look like flood pants on that side.

I'm 5'10" as well. So it looks like I'm in the same boat. To be honest, your sniper plate looks pretty decent. I think you made a good compromise - post complete pics of the armor and see what the masses have to say.

Got home from running around to find out my computer stopped working. I just used the darned thing for my last post. I'm on the old one now, which is old, really old and on it's last leg. Gag. The heat gun showed up...missing the accessories I required to do the work on my armour. Barf. And the green face shield I drove 1.5 hours return to get is way darker than advertised, well, way darker than it looked in the online pics. Will probably work for bright days outdoors. I'll just need to make removable lenses for my bucket, which is ok, I guess. Oh well, Velcro it is, for now, on my calf closures.

Here goes...

TwToiNe.jpghmUGeG0.jpg

I already know a few changes I need to make, just for wearability. I need straps to keep the biceps in the shoulders and tighter elastic between the chest and abdomen. This will help keep the chest plate a little lower. Also, one side of the butt sits wide from my hip. Either a strap or tighter elastic will fix that. I think I might need to bring the shoulders forward but not sure how. They are a little tight on me as well as a little short IMHO. I do think it is an outstanding set of armour. Kudos to Mark at AP.

p.s. This is the first time I've put the shins on with the Velcro and I didn't line them up properly. You can see it in the back pic. I will make sure all is good and proper for my submission pics.

Edited by Sean
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Are you using the elastic loop that holds down the shoulder bridge covers? Your right one is flaring up a bit.

Thanks for the comment. All suggestions and observations are really appreciated. I am using the elastic. Just from wearing it I could tell that I need to tighten those up. Like I mentioned, the shoulders are tight. I gave them both a water bath to 'stretch' them out. Otherwise they would be like wings. Not sure how much more I can stretch them. I will definitely tighten those elastics up. Thanks.

I could also feel where I will need to trim the return edge on the armour. Um, almost everywhere. I have welts on my arms from this first full fitting. It looked worse three hours ago. Didn't even notice this because I was so excited to put the armour on. At least I can clip my fingernails now. By far the best way I found to get rid of E6000 glue run off. ;)

ZWyAiQEl.jpg

Note:  All return edges to be removed. 

Wear it like a badge of honor.;)

Looks great, Sean!  Man, do I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I read a thread where someone just moved the sew-in snaps on the shoulder straps - I think they just moved them forward and that took care of the shoulder bells showing too much black on the front.  I'm not sure if showing too much on the back is as big of a deal.

8 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I read a thread where someone just moved the sew-in snaps on the shoulder straps - I think they just moved them forward and that took care of the shoulder bells showing too much black on the front.  I'm not sure if showing too much on the back is as big of a deal.

Moving the sew in snaps is easy. The problem is the size of the shoulders vs. the size of my shoulders. They sit snug on my shoulders and naturally move to that position. If they were larger it might work. There would be room for them to move and stay where I need them. The first thing I am going to do is move the chest piece lower. I'll need to install snaps and strapping to do this. That might look after the shoulders as it will move the sew in snaps forward a little.

Edited by Sean

16 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I had the same issue with my bells.  They showed too much black so I moved them forward (about a third from the front instead of half way centered).  Took care of most of the gap but it did leave a lot of black in the back.  The first pic is of the original smaller bells snapped to the center of the shoulder strap.  The second pic shows my larger RT-MOD bells next to the originals.  The third pic is with the new bells strapped.  Luckily they were the same "shade" of white, no painting required in this case.

20170728_192313.jpg

20171029_185439.jpg

20171213_135839.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cybergrunt said:

I had the same issue with my bells.  They showed too much black so I moved them forward (about a third from the front instead of half way centered).  Took care of most of the gap but it did leave a lot of black in the back.  The first pic is of the original smaller bells snapped to the center of the shoulder strap.  The second pic shows my larger RT-MOD bells next to the originals.  The third pic is with the new bells strapped.  Luckily they were the same "shade" of white, no painting required in this case.

20170728_192313.jpg

20171029_185439.jpg

20171213_135839.jpg

Wow! That's a huge size difference. I'll see how my mods go but it's good to know this option exists. Thanks!

I started my snaps and straps to keep the bicep inside the shoulder.

nmfPhx2l.jpg

Using one of my abandoned 15mm cover strips I cut four pieces, beveled the edges so they won't catch on my under suit, and drilled the holes.

R7zl1mEl.jpg

Again, by hand, I created a countersink with a large drill bit so the snap sits as flush as possible.

bylV0Zal.jpgeUmJM3al.jpg

kGsJ5Jbl.jpg

Checking the placement and marking it before I glue it up.

xQ7mUr3l.jpgdhIeHdfl.jpg

One on the shoulder.

Q4XuLJGl.jpg

And one on the bicep.

I also made snaps for the chest to ab connection. Hopefully this will help keep the chest a little lower and thereby pull the shoulders forward a bit.

0Gh2DARl.jpg

Same process as before. Lather, rinse, repeat.

5gfrju6l.jpg

Glued and clamped to the inside of the ab. One on each side.

iOfnI6bl.jpgRyzf4MSl.jpg

Never thought I'd be using my laundry drying rack for Stormtrooper armour. Ha!

Tomorrow I will make the straps that hold everything in place. Then I can determine if I will need to move the sew-on shoulder snaps forward or not.

15 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Are you using brackets and snaps or are those just for show?

I guess I'm using both now. Was hoping the brackets would do it but the chest is riding too high. I could sew longer elastic loops to lower the chest. Might be the best thing now that I think of it. Or I could make taller brackets. Hmmm. I do enjoy the problem solving aspect of all this. Luckily, E6000 allows me to remove the parts I don't want or need.

Edited by Sean

Ok. What's great about this forum is all the help one gets while building their armour. Also, when suggestions come it often makes one think about solutions that are right in front of their faces. Thanks Brien.

PW4kz4Yl.jpg

Here you can see the size of the original tall bracket vs. the taller ones I made just now.

jGiBSv7l.jpg

I might be pulling that snap out after dinner tonight. It looks like the taller brackets have lowered the chest armour to the height I wanted it at. We will see soon.

It seems like the longer brackets are working. I'm pretty happy about that. With the chest lower I have discovered another tweak I need to make to the Chest to Back connection. Just a little bending to keep the chest piece against my chest. Tomorrow I can make the bicep to shoulder straps and test fit it all again.

• Like 1