I've messed up the split rivet placement

Guroburov

Hi all,

The thread title says it all.  I'm assembling armor for myself and my girlfriend.  I've been very worried about drilling holes in the armor.  I measured, marked, and measured again before drilling.  I still screwed up one set by drilling the bottom hole too low, which means the middle rivet is too low as well.  And of course I set the kidney rivet placement by measuring against the ab, it's also off.  I know the belt will cover up the bottom rivet but I'll still know the mistake is there.  What do you all think?  Make some paste, fill, and sand, and redo it or do I just quit fussing over the mistake?

Steve the embarrased

Mistakes are inevitable.  I made a few, some worse than others.  If the mistake is not noticeable and does not impede on wear-ability or approvals, its not a big deal.  However, making ABS paste and using it to fill a wayward hole, is not very hard.  It creates more time and labor, but its a relatively easy thing to do.  If it were me, I'd likely live with it.  Luckily, screen accuracy allows for less than perfect builds.

It happens, I did that same thing. Like you said, make some ABS paint and fill in the incorrect holes and put them in the proper position. Most people won't realize it but it will probably get stuck in your own head until you fix it haha. Good luck! 

Just as Tony mentioned, a photo would be really helpful, Steve.  If you drilled the holes in the wrong place, no biggie... (honestly).  As Shane said, you can whip up a small batch of ABS paste to fill them if they are really out of place and drill the new ones where they belong.  Below is a Billhag diagram of some screen used armor that may help, and if you need any questions about making the paste, Kalani has a great tutorial here: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/?tab=comments#comment-574086

• Like 1

Let me add to Joseph's photo. Some of those measurements should be followed(10mm in from edge) and(20mm down from top) the 52 & 53mm measurement may not work for your armor. Different makers have different heights. They should be used as a guide for even spacing. Yours might only be 48mm or could be 56mm like my RT mod. Hate to see you follow this exactly and not work out. Measure twice.drill once.

Good Luck with the fix.