Vocoder Gloss or Satin?

darthanael

Hey guys, need some input on something. I had purchased gloss black Humbrol #21 and was going to use that for the vocoder per justjoseph63's supply list. But some commented on my build thread that the vocoder should technically be satin black. What have you guys done? I'm aiming for centurion status so I'll get whatever I need to get to achieve that status. The CRL doesn't specify which finish, but the CRL helmet picture does look as if the black is a satin finish.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Hiya.
I went gloss for my first lid and satin for the second. Personally, I prefer the satin as it looks a little more 'used', like the screen shots etc. If I read correctly, I think the originals may have been gloss, but with the beating they took, you'd never know. Lol

Here's a pic comparing my lids, gloss vs satin.
Although the lighting is different, you can still see a marked difference between the two.

2880153f68ce52739a001d5c36d40cf3.jpg

To my knowledge, gloss or stain won't affect your Centurion submission. (Mine is satin and I'm aiming for Centurion, so I hope satin is okay) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya.
I went gloss for my first lid and satin for the second. Personally, I prefer the satin as it looks a little more 'used', like the screen shots etc. If I read correctly, I think the originals may have been gloss, but with the beating they took, you'd never know. Lol

Here's a pic comparing my lids, gloss vs satin.
Although the lighting is different, you can still see a marked difference between the two.

2880153f68ce52739a001d5c36d40cf3.jpg

To my knowledge, gloss or stain won't affect your Centurion submission. (Mine is satin and I'm aiming for Centurion, so I hope satin is okay) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ā 

This really helps Dan, thanks so much! I'm honestly not sure which one to go with. I like the gloss because it matches the "gloss-ness" of the overall helmet, but, like you said, the satin looks great too because of the worn look. I'm definitely torn on this one lol.

• Like 1

I was told satin (#85) for the vocoder and line details on the helmet. This is what I have on my paint guide diagram.

Though I am sure troopermaster will know for sure what the originals used for the black parts.