Shin armor. Hooks not working RS. Help

Vader1979

I have the RS propmasters commission build suit and it has the screen accurate hooks on the shin. They don't stay hooked as the armor is tighter than the holes, making the hooks just pop out. I want to keep accurate, but can't keep the hooks in the holes! Can I also ad velcro to keep shut? Only hook that works is the one by the boot. Other 2 just pop off. And if I use velcro, is it against EIB and CENTURION rules? I want to apply for these soon! Thanks in advance!!

• Like 2

Two ways to go about it. 1) get pot of water as hot as you can just stand it. Submerge the shins in the water. Soften it up and tweak the shape so that opening is wider. Or 2) use a good heat gun, very careful not to burn or melt the finish and again work with material to obtain a wider opening. These work best on ABS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You could also try repositioning the hooks/straps. try seeing if the elastic straps can be removed. carefully remove them and then affix to a deeper position. Positioned correctly, you should be able to pull the straps with a a bit of tension and hook them into the holes. they will stay put if so. Hope this helps. 

It sounds like Brian has the right idea. The hooks work extremely well when they are positioned correctly. The ideal position for the end of the hook (not the strap) is where the edge of the calf armour ends and the cover strip starts. This gives 6-7mm of pull to the holes which should keep a bit of tension on the elastic and keep the hooks in place.

can you post some pictures ?? with my shins although a self build i slightly increased the diameter of the holes and just opened out the hook slightly and everything seems to be holding fine   

I have the RS propmasters commission build suit and it has the screen accurate hooks on the shin. They don't stay hooked as the armor is tighter than the holes, making the hooks just pop out. I want to keep accurate, but can't keep the hooks in the holes! Can I also ad velcro to keep shut? Only hook that works is the one by the boot. Other 2 just pop off. And if I use velcro, is it against EIB and CENTURION rules? I want to apply for these soon! Thanks in advance!!

I think using velcro is not against EIB and Centurion rules...

This is how I have mine:
25450600423_b65bcf71a0_z.jpg
Gluing on the shin hooks. by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

In hindsight, I'd add a bigger gap from the hole to the edge of the shin and move the hooks over to match. The key bit though is I need to pull the elastics to fit them. The tension holds the hooks in well.

Also I found it was important having the hook bend angle just right. Too closed and I couldn't get them in the hole, too open and they can pop out.