The Absolute Best Way to Fix a Cracked Yoke?

darthaldernu

And I'm not talking about eggs!

df17bb6f2dea779d080d08085c8b24da.jpg

Here's the Yoke piece from my Anovos First Order armour, it's looking pretty bad and it's getting worse. What's the best way to repair this and reinforce it for the future?

Hope you guys can help me out. I know there are a few tutorials on the board but just wanted something a little more specific to my situation!

Thanks very much.

Cut out the crack using a dremel or other. Fill in the gap with plastic welder, sand prep and repaint. Use the next set of instruction to reinforce the area.

Here's my method to prevent cracking in the future. Some will say it's overkill but I have yet to crack.

P1 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31877-ukswraths-fotk-build-thread-tk-10116/page-6#entry424973

P2 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31877-ukswraths-fotk-build-thread-tk-10116/?p=442849

• Like 1

Cut out the crack using a dremel or other. Fill in the gap with plastic welder, sand prep and repaint. Use the next set of instruction to reinforce the area.

Here's my method to prevent cracking in the future. Some will say it's overkill but I have yet to crack.

P1 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31877-ukswraths-fotk-build-thread-tk-10116/page-6#entry424973

P2 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31877-ukswraths-fotk-build-thread-tk-10116/?p=442849

I find that overkill on strengthening armor is never a bad thing. :)

• Like 1

I had a similar issue, I used E6000 glue and two pieces of abs behind the crack, I then sanded the crack a little to open it, filled that with ABS paste, waited two days and sanded then covered the whole area with bondo, sanded primed and painted, has not failed so far. I do try to be as careful as I can now to get my arms inside the openings, it's just one of those places which takes a lot of strain.

It seems the yolk crack is becoming common, like cracking the shoulder bridges on an OT TK, almost the same method with a backing piece and ABS paste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had a few places on my TK that have developed stress cracks,  I reinforced them on the backside with a couple layers of fiberglass and no longer have any issues. You dont need much just about a 3 inch strip of fiberglass weave that runs the length of the backside of the edge. The fiberglass weave/cloth is purchased from walmart or any car parts place.. cut it out, trim then put on  a few coats of resin.  Just be sure that you dont get any on the front (show) side of the armor.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to update this by saying that it's a little hard to execute any of these methods from the rear (heheh) of the yoke as it's blocked by another section of the yoke. Any ideas there guys?

Better shot of the outside area:

857bfbe3493678e2e0300b795d23a1dd.jpg

189abf325117298db5a016e6e00a7a89.jpg

And the inside, I've circled the crack as it's hardly noticeable behind the other piece:

02d1a8ca92f9933720eac8e40834f342.jpg

1) Remove any high spots from the inner yoke layer.

2) Using a piece of cover strip material cut and shape it to extend 2" on each side of the crack (even over the existing yoke layer) creating a reinforcement piece.

3) Hot water boil the new piece for 1 minute.

4) Using both hands with gloves take the soften cover strip material and firmly press it onto the area. It should form to the terrain. You may need to repeat this process a few times.

5) Once your satisfied scuff up the existing yoke sections and the new reinforcement piece, apply plastic welder then install the new section.

6) Allow to cure several hours or until mfg specifications.

7) Afterwards, using a dremel and dig out the crack 2mm on each side (stop at the glue). 

8) Sand away any paint in the area. 

9) Add plastic weld in the new joint.

10) Sand, add filler, sand again, primer and paint as needed

• Like 1