Whats a good price for armour?

Master Obsidian

Depends on your commitment level I believe.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right I believe and that could cost you thousands.

A cheap TK looks cheap.

I have 1800 invested in armor and accessorys. Thats just the TK. My Biker Scout I have 1000.00, and my Royal Gaurd is in the 650.00 range. Time is your biggest cost, and the willingness to stick to it. Look around the boards, check what you want to do and go from there. Be wary of "good deals" and be ready to spend what you have to to get it right. Just armor I have seen go for as little as 400, but as much as 550. Understand that that is no where ready to wear, and no way a complete costume. You still need other things to complete the look.

I hope that dosent derail your intrest, just an honest answer.

I assume that's dollars? :blink:

Ā 

You do get what you pay for - the SDS suit (no longer available obviously) looks better and costs more than the average FX kit. I've got an FX clone (I think) which cost ?650 just for the armour and helmet. With all the additions its very near ?1k. A lot of money in the short term, but as I'm sure the other toopers will tell you, seeing smiles on faces more than makes up for the time and money you invested in your armour. :rolleyes:

TK6870 said:
the SDS suit (no longer available obviously)

Is the SDS armor really no longer available? There's no indication to that effect on the -------------- Granted, I haven't directly contacted AA about it, but I would've expected him to update the website if he was no longer in business. :blink:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Is the SDS armor really no longer available? There's no indication to that effect on the website. Granted, I haven't directly contacted AA about it, but I would've expected him to update the website if he was no longer in business. :blink:

Ā 

I think the current advice is to just stay away from SDS.

Really? Why's that? Aside from the fact that it costs nearly $3000 for a complete set, of course. Or is that the reason? :lol:

Ā 

I haven't seen a suit in person, but my understanding from reading many threads on this topic is that it can be overly thin in some areas and that for an ANH suit it's not as accurate as other makers, nor as durable.

Ā 

For some people it's more the fact that SDS - at first blush- is making it seem that the suits are made from the original molds, where this is not the case. Some parts might have been, but certainly not the entire suit.

Ā 

As mentioned many times in the end it's all a matter of taste/budget and everyone has their preferences. It's your money and your suit after all.

For some people it's more the fact that SDS - at first blush- is making it seem that the suits are made from the original molds, where this is not the case. Some parts might have been, but certainly not the entire suit.

Ah, interesting. I had been under that impression as well. :-X

I agree with Runnriottt. Depending on the whom you get the armor from the price can vary as well as the quality. I have a TE suit and from start to finish I figure that I spent about 1,400.00 to have a complete suit finished.

Ā 

On the other subject (AA/SDS). I just bought a Tie Pilot about a month ago and had no problems getting it. Although it may be a problem shortly. If I had done more research I might have saved a lot of money. I was not that happy with scuff marks on a new helmet. :(

You'll spend at least $1000 to complete a TK. Likely more. If you took away all my sandtrooper stuff I'd be at about $1100. Thats not counting a blaster, which can run anywhere from $25 for scratch build supplies (and a lot of sweat equity) to $300+ dollars for a quality replica. As mentioned before, you will need to dump time into it as well.

• 4 weeks later...
In accurate 550 and up to 650 with out shipping. accurate 800 up to 1500. depending on your luck and how rare it is.

Ā 

YES! I agree, the accuracy these dayz ussually starts with a good AP kit, then it starts getting more expensive after that :D

Aren't RT's considered accurate for $700?

Ā 

I don't know, do you have a contact for this? cuz thats a good price, PM me cuz I am interested :)

PM sent with a bonus. :D

Ā 

Can you shoot me that PM too? My current plan is to sell my FX armor sometime this year and replace it with RT armor. First I have to shed a few pounds though, since I hear RT armor is smaller. :(

Can you shoot me that PM too? My current plan is to sell my FX armor sometime this year and replace it with RT armor. First I have to shed a few pounds though, since I hear RT armor is smaller. :(

Ā 

It's bigger than AP or TE :D . PM sent.

• 3 months later...

I have to say I'm am feeling more optimistic about my propects after reading many of these posts and inquiring into various possible vendors its starting to look like it will cost me somewhere in the $1000.00 range, I though it would be more than that, albeit I'm sure I will encounter some hidden surprises along the way. I promissed myself I would keep it under $1200.00, thats kinda my budget, any more and I start to lose sleep. That said I will if nessissary spend more but I won't be happy about it, and would probably buy it slowly over time. :trooper:

I did my figuring the other day, and my FX cost me $863. It broke down this way:

Ā 

$675 for armor,including shipping (Should have paid less, but lesson learned)

Ā 

$89 for a pair of CA boots

Ā 

$54 for a black body suit

Ā 

$20 for a neck seal

Ā 

$25 for a set of gloves

Ā 

This is just the beginning. I already had a Kenner blaster, so that did not factor in. Now if we add the other items:

Ā 

$55 for the WRONG boots

Ā 

$20 for a set of Green lenses

Ā 

$4 for blue tube stripes

Ā 

$15 for a com-link prop

Ā 

$45 for a second body suit (Thought I would need it for CIV)

Ā 

$41 for Kenner conversion kit

Ā 

$30 for left handed holster (Bernard does them on this site, and they are great)

Ā 

$5 for plastic to fill in between the kidney/back plate and ab plate

Ā 

$12 for screen accurate AB buttons(Steve did these for me, also on this site)

Ā 

$20 for canvas belt material

Ā 

$6 for holster clips for my TD

Ā 

$84 (approx) for inside of my bucket (Speakers, amp , mike, fans)

Ā 

Am I missing anything??

Ā 

So, all told I would say my $1200 exactly is my investment. Also I had to buy things like a rivet gun, rivets, as well as ABS tubing to make a stand for it, plus the storage locker and helmet bag for transporting the unit. This may be WAY more than you wanted, but I figured I would share since I just did this.

Ā 

:trooper:

Sandman said:
Errr...time for my next dumb question...what are CA Boots and whats a Kenner conversion kit. :unsure:

Ā 

here you go... :salute:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021