Birthday Party For Autistic Child (Seneca, SC)

This is a mission report from the Carolina Garrison forum...

Date:

July 16, 2016

Old Towne Pizza Buffet

273 Market St.

Seneca, SC 29678

Description of Event (Please share as much info as you can):

Today, the Empire celebrated the 4th birthday of Billy, a very smart and polite little boy with a form of autism called Asperger's syndrome. Kirk and I arrived at Old Towne Pizza Buffet in Seneca, SC and were shown our changing room. The weather outside was HOT and muggy, so we were grateful not to have to suit up in the parking lot. We met Billy's parents and talked with them a few minutes before changing. We got dressed and made our entrance. Billy was a little overwhelmed and shied away at first. Slowly, he got the courage to approach us, then talk to us, then eventually take a picture with us. We let him use the Force to push us back across the room, Kirk let him hold his light saber, and I let him hold my blaster. Once he warmed up to us, he challenged me to a game of air hockey. He put both me and Lord Vader to shame. Billy wore his Kylo Ren costume for most of the party. We presented him a gift from the Legion, a 12" Kylo Ren action figure. When he opened the rest of his gifts, he thanked us for each one. Of course, we shamelessly took credit. The winning comment of the day came when he opened an R2-D2 bank and his dad convinced him to tell us "This is not the bank you're looking for!" After the party, we mingled with the other restaurant patrons and employees, then changed and spent a little more time with the family. They were very grateful for us making an appearance and said this would be all Billy would talk about for weeks. We met his uncle Tommy from the Charleston area, who is a true Star Wars fan and a member of the R2 Builders Club. He said when the family told him the Legion was coming, he said yeah right and was expecting someone to show up in cheesy costumes. When he saw us, he said he was impressed. We found out he met David Prowse once and had a long conversation with him. Tommy (age 49) was probably jus as excited about seeing us as Billy was. He expressed interest in pursuing a Legion worthy Vader or Stormtrooper costume and joining someday. Billy's mom said she had been communicating with someone in the Garrison about a costume as well. As we were getting ready to go, the manager of the restaurant treated us to a free buffet! Yes, it was good to serve the Empire today!

This was a very good troop. Children with Asperger's syndrome have great difficulty with social interaction and nonverbal communication. To have him open up to us like that was an amazing thing to experience. I am very proud to represent the 501st Legion and the Carolina Garrison.

Did this event support a charity? If yes, which charity?:

No

Event Length (Hours):

2.5 hours

Items Collected (toys, food, clothing, etc.) and how many of each:

1. 12" Kylo Ren action figure (1)

Carolina Garrison Members in Attendance:

1. Bryan Roller (TK-14082) ANH Stunt TK

2. Kirk DeWeil (SL-21370) ROTJ Vader

Handlers:

1. Kaden DeWeil

20160716_160300_zps7oapinoj.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 3

This is what it's all about, brother.  The look on his face in the next-to-last photograph makes every minute of taking the time to drive there, suit up and then down worth it.  The fact that you and Kirk took the time to not only put him at ease, but get him involved speaks volumes for you both, and makes me glad that I am a part of this organization.  Kudos to you both, sir, kudos indeed, and congrats on an outstanding troop!

• Like 1