RIP Stan Winston

TK8114

Quite possibly THE greatest special effects guy in the business, even if he had almost no connection to Star Wars. His creations are amazing.

/salute

from Dark Horizons:

News has just come in that Oscar-winning special effects and make-up legend Stan Winston passed away on Sunday night.

As it's so early details are still sketchy but this article will be updated later tonight with more information as it comes in. Early word indicates the cause being due to cancer.

The 62-year-old Winston was best known for his work in the Terminator, Jurassic Park, Aliens, and Predator franchises. Other notable films included Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Interview with the Vampire, Pearl Harbor, A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, Big Fish, Constantine, End of Days, Lake Placid, Congo, Leviathan, The Ghost and the Darkness and The Thing.

He was only the second special effects artist to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. His most recent work was creating the physical suit for use by Robert Downey Jr. in "Iron Man" and top-secret creations for James Cameron's upcoming project "Avatar".

To his friends, family, and many, many admirers - our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to you. This is a very sad day for anyone whose ever loved the craft of filmmaking. Peace be with you Stan.

And for the record, his sole SW contribution is the wookie family costumes in the Holiday Special.

Sorry to hear this. Even though i've not heard of him directly, I bet i've seen his work. R.I.P Stan.

I'd be REALLY surprised if you haven't.

This is the man responsible for:

Terminator

Aliens

Predator

Iron Man

Jurassic Park

Edward Scissorhands

etc

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935644/

wow, that is sad. I've been a fan of his for a long time. I used to watch a show on the Discovery Channel called 'Movie Magic' and his work was often documented. Him, Phil Tippett, Joe Johnston, and Rick Baker were the first special effects guys that I looked up to and were frequently on the show. I always thought it'd be awesome to be in the industry.

He's been at comic-con almost every year I've gone and while I always thought it be neat to meet him I never bothered because I didn't know what I'd say to him. It's a shame because it seems like this came out of nowhere. I'm almost positive he was there last year.

Phil

wow, that is sad. I've been a fan of his for a long time. I used to watch a show on the Discovery Channel called 'Movie Magic' and his work was often documented. Him, Phil Tippett, Joe Johnston, and Rick Baker were the first special effects guys that I looked up to and were frequently on the show. I always thought it'd be awesome to be in the industry.

Yeah I used to watch that too. Awesome show. There was a while where I wanted to get into SFX and he was one that I always looked up to.