Fieldmarshall build

fieldmarshall

Henry, that is a beautiful collection of capacitors and resistors. Drooling.

Chris, you are doing an amazing job. At those measurements it is hard to say what is truly accurate unless we have the real stuff used on screen. Your handmade capacitors look amazing. 

• Like 1

Found your stuff Brain ,, Great work

Thanks. Still need to work out some problems with casting the smaller parts. Pressure casting is something I am interested to try to get consistency. Once I find a new workspace I will start making them again. Too toxic to make in my tiny apartment. 

Nice work SlyFox!

I know we're all OCD about this stuff, but the difference between 26mm and 26.5mm works out to about the thickness of 5 sheets of copy paper.

Either way, I can live with the custom machined result.

I got all wound up with these measurements until a friend pointed out NO ONE has a REAL set of power cylinders.

Photogrammetry is awesome, but there are so many variables that being off by 0.5mm becomes debatable.

In the end, as long as your power cylinders are proportional and look the part, nobody can question them...

Unless they produce the legit found item cut from a radar rack...

That thought eased my mind a little.

I know...BLASPHEMY!!!

Aaron  :)

Thanks for the compliment, I actually totally agree with you. I never debated the size of anyones capacitors, and I certainly have never been fussy over a discrepancy of just 0.5mm. I was just stating the size of these metalmite capacitors I happened to find. But again mine are type: CP31N metalmite capacitors where as Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) are type: CP30S, they're slightly different. Same length, a hair thicker. The only reason I measured them with such precise measuring tools is because Andy and I were comparing and discussing our metalmite capacitors. I measured several of mine and they're all about 26mm x 5.4mm, that measurement is not 100% consistent across all of them as it changes ever so slightly. Remember these were hand crimped and plugged so they will not all be the same, but the package of 50 that I bought are all unused new old stock capacitors. These are not used capacitors salvaged from old electronic equipment. Now Andy's type: CP30S metalmite capacitors measure 26mm x 5mm and his power cylinders are probably considered the gold standard in the community, or at least the closest to the real thing available. But nobody actually has the real thing to compare size so we don't really know for sure, it's just the best approximation we have so far. The true origins of the cylinders has yet to be discovered, again Military Radar Equipment is just a best guess based on all the research and knowledge. Nobody has ever been able to confirm exactly where they came from. We know quite a bit about what it is and that it's function was related to audio, most likely mobile portable equipment due to the fact that everything is so close together. It could have been some kind of radar, or just a radio with different frequencies for communications maybe. Here's to hoping the mystery gets solved one day but I'm not holding my breath.

I Agree, In the end. If your power cylinders are correctly proportioned and look the part, scale is always debatable until we have a true reference to go by.

Nice collection! I have a few of the 5.4 like you have . So the one everyone wants are 5mm or 5.4  . The 5.4  looks a little to fat,maybe? bigger than the ones in the radar tube manifold???  I scaled that assembly, you sure they are 5.4

Oh God, the blaster build is intense!!! I hope my armor building days are easier. LOL   

Thank You for the compliment. Haha you know you're a nerd when you're proud of your capacitor, resistor collection Lol

Yes I'm sure, I measured several of them, many times. They all range from 5.4mm to 5.5mm in thickness. The length is about 26mm, some a little less, some a little more.  These metalmite capacitors were hand crimped and plugged so they are not all 100% consistent, but mine are all brand new unused capacitors not salvaged from old equipment. Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) metalmite capacitors are slightly different, they measure 26mm x 5mm. Chris I would use that measurement for your capacitor replicas as Andy's power cylinders are probably the closest to the real thing available. I know we all want things to be absolutely perfect with our OCD but a discrepancy of just 0.5mm is negligible, as much as that might sound like blasphemy it's true. Nobody but Andy himself is going to notice a difference.

Your capacitor replicas actually look awesome Chris, I think they're pretty accurate. We will talk on the phone some more, but as for measurements I would just stick to what you have. 26mm x 5mm looks good and that's the same size as Andy's and he knows more about these than anyone on here. But again just keep in mind that nobody has real power cylinders and the true size has never been confirmed.

Yes the E-11 blaster build is intense, but I believe you are helping to raise the bar on that. Aluminum will be the way of the future, and resin will be a thing of the past!

You are so right about the two or three thousandths ,, in the machine world + - .003 to .005 thou is normal tolerances..   I am enjoying what I'm hearing from all over the world about this build. I just want to make nice stuff that provides fun and enjoyment...  

I appreciate the time everyone across the planet has spent with me on these builds...   Aaron I believe there is a lot of people that would love to find that radar rack... If i found one i would build a power supply and  try to build a tube guitar amp out of it...LMAO

(then cut it up for my e11)

Maybe someday someone will discover the origin of these. Here's to hoping someone will find a piece of equipment with multiple racks of original power cylinders one day and then the Mystery will finally be solved. On that note; Just recently someone of the RPF figured out where the "heat sink" and sight greeblies on han-solo's DL-44 blaster originated from.  They were parts from a TomTit Hawker model airplane kit!

Henry, that is a beautiful collection of capacitors and resistors. Drooling.

Chris, you are doing an amazing job. At those measurements it is hard to say what is truly accurate unless we have the real stuff used on screen. Your handmade capacitors look amazing.

Thanks Brian, it took me while to collect all those parts for my power cylinder build. Like I said I may open up sales thread one day, I have way more than I need for myself.  Let me also say that your scope replicas are something to behold, you really shouldn't give up on the journey to try and make them functional. I believe you can do it, and you're actually pretty close to accomplishing that. You've come so far on that scope project. Who knows, maybe if you figure it out one day you and Chris here can team up to produce functional metal M38 & M19 scope replicas. Those would surely sell like hot cakes!

I hope you get a new workspace figured out. Good luck with that.

Chris keep up the great work, following your progress as always. I'm scheduled for night shift this week and next so we will have to line up a time to talk.

Edited by SlyFox740

Thanks for the compliment, I actually totally agree with you. I never debated the size of anyones capacitors, and I certainly have never been fussy over a discrepancy of just 0.5mm. I was just stating the size of these metalmite capacitors I happened to find. But again mine are type: CP31N metalmite capacitors where as Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) are type: CP30S, they're slightly different. Same length, a hair thicker. The only reason I measured them with such precise measuring tools is because Andy and I were comparing and discussing our metalmite capacitors. I measured several of mine and they're all about 26mm x 5.4mm, that measurement is not 100% consistent across all of them as it changes ever so slightly. Remember these were hand crimped and plugged so they will not all be the same, but the package of 50 that I bought are all unused new old stock capacitors. These are not used capacitors salvaged from old electronic equipment. Now Andy's type: CP30S metalmite capacitors measure 26mm x 5mm and his power cylinders are probably considered the gold standard in the community, or at least the closest to the real thing available. But nobody actually has the real thing to compare size so we don't really know for sure, it's just the best approximation we have so far. The true origins of the cylinders has yet to be discovered, again Military Radar Equipment is just a best guess based on all the research and knowledge. Nobody has ever been able to confirm exactly where they came from. We know quite a bit about what it is and that it's function was related to audio, most likely mobile portable equipment due to the fact that everything is so close together. It could have been some kind of radar, or just a radio with different frequencies for communications maybe. Here's to hoping the mystery gets solved one day but I'm not holding my breath.

I Agree, In the end. If your power cylinders are correctly proportioned and look the part, scale is always debatable until we have a true reference to go by.

Thank You for the compliment. Haha you know you're a nerd when you're proud of your capacitor, resistor collection Lol

Yes I'm sure, I measured several of them, many times. They all range from 5.4mm to 5.5mm in thickness. The length is about 26mm, some a little less, some a little more.  These metalmite capacitors were hand crimped and plugged so they are not all 100% consistent, but mine are all brand new unused capacitors not salvaged from old equipment. Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) metalmite capacitors are slightly different, they measure 26mm x 5mm. Chris I would use that measurement for your capacitor replicas as Andy's power cylinders are probably the closest to the real thing available. I know we all want things to be absolutely perfect with our OCD but a discrepancy of just 0.5mm is negligible, as much as that might sound like blasphemy it's true. Nobody but Andy himself is going to notice a difference.

Your capacitor replicas actually look awesome Chris, I think they're pretty accurate. We will talk on the phone some more, but as for measurements I would just stick to what you have. 26mm x 5mm looks good and that's the same size as Andy's and he knows more about these than anyone on here. But again just keep in mind that nobody has real power cylinders and the true size has never been confirmed.

Yes the E-11 blaster build is intense, but I believe you are helping to raise the bar on that. Aluminum will be the way of the future, and resin will be a thing of the past!

Maybe someday someone will discover the origin of these. Here's to hoping someone will find a piece of equipment with multiple racks of original power cylinders one day and then the Mystery will finally be solved. On that note; Just recently someone of the RPF figured out where the "heat sink" and sight greeblies on han-solo's DL-44 blaster originated from.  They were parts from a TomTit Hawker model airplane kit!

Thanks Brian, it took me while to collect all those parts for my power cylinder build. Like I said I may open up sales thread one day, I have way more than I need for myself.  Let me also say that your scope replicas are something to behold, you really shouldn't give up on the journey to try and make them functional. I believe you can do it, and you're actually pretty close to accomplishing that. You've come so far on that scope project. Who knows, maybe if you figure it out one day you and Chris here can team up to produce functional metal M38 & M19 scope replicas. Those would surely sell like hot cakes!

I hope you get a new workspace figured out. Good luck with that.

Chris keep up the great work, following your progress as always. I'm scheduled for night shift this week and next so we will have to line up a time to talk.

Great insight Slyfoxy on the m19 project,ill look into having a prism ground and made functional. It would be a great challenge for sure. Be great to speak with you or anyone from these posts, i love hearing the suggestions or production needs...

Thanks for the encouragement with the cylinder project,, i will keep improving the technique to produce them and endeavor to further the art .  Brian Your stuff looks fantastic ! keep it up , if i can help let me know!

If anyone in this post has not sent me there address yet! Imgoing to send a sample of my metalmite next week so ??? hurry up

If anyone sells anything from there collection,,, You know I'm alwaysinterested.They will be put to good use especially if you sell a m19!LOL

• Like 1

If anyone wants to sell there m19,,, im offering a $3500.00 for one in complete condition.... Maybe this will get some attention! LOL

Wish I had one to sell!

Jim - TK50899

If anyone wants to sell there m19,,, im offering a $3500.00 for one in complete condition.... Maybe this will get some attention! LOL

Not the attention it needs to sell one of mine.  :laugh1:

In fact i plan to buy several more, but only for a fair price.

But i´m sure someone will sell you one for that amount.

I did post a few new pictures on the   http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/blog/page/2/   Just finished up the rear caps and started the internal bolt... I'm not making the bolt complete just the parts that will show. Don't want anyone thinking it real, and im going to use it to screw the mag well and the grip frame to the body.... I think it will make it a lot easier than hoping everyone building one of these things can tig weld.......LOL

Got A M19 telescope today ,,, starting measuring and prepping it for the casting I'm going to make... I'm very thankful to everyone that help with acquiring these. ill post more pictures and the disassembly ....

• Like 3

Wow Chris!, Those Rear end caps and Bolts are beautiful! Just as beautiful as the front muzzle cap. This project is turning out just beautiful man I am looking forward to getting one of these kits more and more! Question; will you be making a spring cup in aluminum? Everything is coming together very well, Staring at those Muzzle caps and Rear End caps just makes me excited, that's some very fine machining my friend. Beautiful work, Keep it up!

Congrats again on the M19, I'm glad I could help procure one for you. Working with that kind of budget I thought I'd be able get you one in good condition. Definitely post pictures of it! I'm excited to see it. I know many great quality replicas will be precisely cloned from that one original authentic antique which is another reason I wanted it to be in nice condition. It's a great thing and about time too because these real M19 telescopes are becoming very rare, highly sought after and many people simply just cannot afford to get one. Honeywell stopped making them a very long time ago! and only way to get more is to make clones of an original piece. A detailed replica would be a very welcome item if made more available and affordable to the entire trooping community. And not just E-11 builds but also anyone wanting to replicate the DL-44 variation with the M19 scope on it.

Edited by SlyFox740

Guess what showed up today?

9d11d92728919497cdbbd3db976f1c44.jpg

This capacitor is beyond amazing! I'm going to have to buy two more to complete the set. Lol!

For those that haven't seen these here is the "360"

f91bc4f67e99f345cb6091cc3ffc1e13.jpg

9f88741ccd5585b233dd2e22224dbe1f.jpg

74d4bdbd1a9cc2faf99c397033803401.jpg

If you can't find real ones, like me, these are the way to go! Great job Chris! Like Sly said I am eagerly awaiting a full kit for my ultimate display piece!

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

Chris, nice M19 catch! It really is a beauty. I am sorry I could not to terms with selling any of mine. That offer was amazing and I deeply considered it but my wife said the highly annoying cost for her would be me forever sulking that I sold one. <br>

Really looking forward to seeing your M19 scope kit. Just curious, are you going to disassemble the whole scope? Will you take apart the light socket on the side?

LOL why ,,,,,,,,  hell build yours too???? It will take another couple months to do all my parts.... I have started the magazine well today, the push release and the latch. Ill try to post those pic this weekend.

Got to tackle the grip frame assembly in a week or so... 

Im just very happy to get m19 scope so i can start the casting processs....(takes 3month to make molds and produce)

Im going to cnc a alum kit too it will not take as long to complete. The casting will be primo and one piece body, the alum kit will be like my m38 kit. That will help alot of builders complete there assemblies and should be fairly realistic also.

On a weirder note i stopped at a estate sale at lunch and found 20 sterling mags for 10 bucks   Crazy!!!  there a little rusty but ill get them cleaned up one day

Edited by fieldmarshall
  • Like 1

On a weirder note i stopped at a estate sale at lunch and found 20 sterling mags for 10 bucks Crazy!!! there a little rusty but ill get them cleaned up one day

Here in the NW you just don't have much luck like that. When I was stationed in Ft. Bragg, in the mid 90's, there was all kinds of cool stuff like that everywhere. If only I had had the foresight to pick some of that stuff up.....

Ive got it apart but havent gone that deep,,, may not ??? what do you think?

I had contemplated it but thought I did not have the correct tools or skills to get that part off without inflicting some damage. Seeing you only have one scope in hand I think I would not do it but if you plan to make the castings 100% accurate copies you would have to. Dont think it is all that necessary though, its the outside details that count most. Just curious to know if you were going to try that or not.

Will your casts be hollow or need to be machined to create the inner cavity? I bought a bronze replica M19 off the last Boba Debt run on the ROF and it was casted solid then machined. Partially machined for lenses. Heavy sucker but looks great. Really excited to see your castings when they a completed. I went to a few metal foundry places here in Japan to ask if they could make scope copies for me but they said it would cost a fortune to do it and not possible since my production order would be too low . Most likely they didn't want to help anyway. Eagerly waiting for any updates on the M19 front!good luck!

• Like 1

Ive got it apart but havent gone that deep,,, may not ??? what do you think?

I had contemplated it but thought I did not have the correct tools or skills to get that part off without inflicting some damage. Seeing you only have one scope in hand I think I would not do it but if you plan to make the castings 100% accurate copies you would have to. Dont think it is all that necessary though, its the outside details that count most. Just curious to know if you were going to try that or not.

Will your casts be hollow or need to be machined to create the inner cavity? I bought a bronze replica M19 off the last Boba Debt run on the ROF and it was casted solid then machined. Partially machined for lenses. Heavy sucker but looks great. Really excited to see your castings when they a completed. I went to a few metal foundry places here in Japan to ask if they could make scope copies for me but they said it would cost a fortune to do it and not possible since my production order would be too low . Most likely they didn't want to help anyway. Eagerly waiting for any updates on the M19 front!good luck!

I'm really hoping that Chris can cast and machine the main housing out to be hollow exactly like the inside of the real one. Also I hope they have the same fine threads and lens rings as his M38 replicas. This way the replicas would be open to a future upgrade to Full Functionality!

I truly believe with the combined talent of both of you Chris, & Brian that a fully functional replica could finally be reproduced. The inner workings of these prisms and lenses are based on some pretty simple physics but understanding how it actually works can be quite complex. If you need any internal small plastic parts reproduced my friend does amazing work! Also I have the little clear plastic disc with the tiny cone in the center that goes in the back of the light socket if you need one to copy.

Ultimately I think the main issue is getting the correct size prisms and lenses in order to make them function fully and correctly with a clear magnified sight.

And of course replacing the Sherman Tank reticle with a more accurate Functioning E-11 reticle, that would be awesome!

th_ScopeRectilwb.gif

We never actually got a view through a troopers scope in any of the films but this reticle was used for the Master Replicas E-11 which was a Lucasfilm Licensed product so It's probably as close to "cannon" as we're going to get. And by "cannon" I just mean official, not "screen accurate" because this view was never seen on screen. But again it probably is the closest thing to cannon and I like the look of it which is why I'm really happy you used it on your M38 replicas already. Unless there was something else in a book that I'm not aware of I would assume the M19 has the same reticle as the M38.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1