PPP's AP ANH Stunt BBB WTF LOL

pewpewpew

Seriously...  What's with all the acronyms with this community?  I even had to dig up a thread to decipher half of what ya'll are talking about.

Admittedly I'm not the biggest Start Wars fan compared to most, and really don't go in for the most obscure trivia that many here would think is just basic knowledge.  But I do remember watching my first Star Wars movie as a kid, and being absolutely fascinated by the shiny white armor.  The echoing sound of their boots hitting the ground in unison.  The "pew-pew-pew" of their blasters that always missed their targets. The crackly voices from the radios in their helmets...  Yeah, these were the coolest looking bad guys little-me had ever seen!  Ahhhh... Good times...

Fast forward a few decades and I hear of this group that puts on black tights, crams themselves into tubes of plastic, and marches around raising money for charity!  Now if only I were an adult, I could buy my own gear and join them and do my little bit to make this world, or some tiny corner of it, a better place.  Eureka!  I AM an adult!  I've been pretending to be an adult for quite some time now.  Surprisingly people no longer even question the idea that I'm an adult any longer.  I've infiltrated their ranks and seem to fit right in.  They suspect nothing!  Those fools!  And if I want to spend my money on a bunch of plastic to parade around playing make-believe, I'm gonna bloody well do it!

Anyway, my box came from Mark the other day (thanks Mark!). 

Obligatory picture of box with a pair of rebels moving in to inspect the cargo:

post-28801-0-81302100-1465059143_thumb.jpg

Followed by the obligatory picture of everything laid out while I take inventory and attempt to assess the giant confusing mess I'm about to create.

post-28801-0-91721700-1465059237_thumb.jpg

I decided to trim a few pieces and do a quick fit.  What do you think?  Does this armor make me look fat?

post-28801-0-18171600-1465059331_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, I've rough trimmed the torso pieces and against my better judgment, have begun work on the bucket (See! I said bucket and not helmet!  I'm getting the lingo down already).  Here's a pic of the right ear that is being trimmed down.  I've got to agree with what I've read from many others here, and that these little pieces sure are fiddly.  I need to keep in mind that when I get a bit frustrated, I need to walk away.

post-28801-0-90247300-1465062072_thumb.jpg

I think I have a good idea of where to trim to get these things to sit properly, but have to admit I'm a bit nervous of taking away too much.  I've come up with a system where I find what is touching and preventing the ear from sitting properly.  Penciling the part that needs to come off (for example beside the bottom green arrow in the picture above), and then sanding that portion away, a little bit at a time.  It seems to be working well enough, but it is definitely tedious.  Any pointers are certainly welcome here.  I want to do a good job and not a quick job.

Oh well, I just thought I'd say hello, introduce myself and get this ball rolling so I have a place to post for assistance, and maybe others can learn from my efforts.  I look forward to joining your ranks.

• Like 2

Thanks Johnny!

Came up with a trick while doing the ears.  I had a foam pool noodle sitting beside the workbench for some reason, and thought it would be helpful if I stuffed that in the tube and clamped onto the ear and the piece of pool noodle to tighten everything up.  Seems to work rather well.

gc6BIaG.jpg

It seems to do well enough, so I'm going to leave it like that for a day or two and hopefully this causes the ABS to stay like that.  Is this just wishful thinking?  I seem to recall somebody doing something similar on here.  Here's a front view of the results on the right ear:

ZWvcoCj.jpg

Now, perhaps somebody could give me some input here.  I've got a bit of gap between the top of the left ear and brow trim.  Not sure why this might be.  Kind of like one of my ears is lower than the other.  Should I just lower the brow trim a smidgen to even it out, or re-drill the ears?  I'm using the pre-marked drill holes that came with the AP armor.  Picture below shows what I'm talking about.  What would be the best way to sort this out?  I'm reluctant to redrill new holes for the ears though. 

R34Kw7Z.jpg

Yeah, I know those aren't the right screws, they're just easier to work with temporarily than the slotted screw heads that come with the kit.

Also, am I missing something with respect to attaching files?  Is there a 512kb daily limit or something?  Using a file hosting service isn't too much of a pain, but I'm just wondering how everybody else does this.

Thanks!

All those anomalies are normal and also present on the original movie helmets. WHY YOU GAP  top left ear have exact same gap on movie helmets, people tend to get carried away and correct things they shouldn't. Do not remove material on top round section of ear, you can remove a bit more on hook section to minimize gap but the back side of the right ear is difficult to get completely flush again like the movie original. Here's some original screen used helmets to prove it, as you can see all gaps match my helmet, actually some original helmets have even bigger gaps,  these are very assymetrical helmets parts won't fit perfect.

orig.%20trooper%20helmet%201.jpg

orig%20screws%202.jpg

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

That's awesome, Mark! I'm very grateful for your input, being that it's your kit and all. It's a habit to try to achieve symmetry, but it seems that it's not the correct way in this case. <br><br>

So, does this mean I'm on the right track?

That's awesome, Mark! I'm very grateful for your input, being that it's your kit and all. It's a habit to try to achieve symmetry, but it seems that it's not the correct way in this case. <br><br>

So, does this mean I'm on the right track?

looking good,  just use the premarked holes for assembly and all will fit nicely, no clamps needed everything lines up.

Mark (AP)

• Like 1

WHAT ARE YOUR "REBELS'" NAMES? I have a black cat too, and looks a lot like yours. HA!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hey, Paul, the black one is Alice, and the other is Fred. There are four feline rebels on this base, and all of them have Earth human names: Fred, Alice, Genie (who is another black one) and Georgia.

Feel free to post pics of your rebels everyone.

• Like 1

From all that i read, remember that the original suits were hand made. They're supposed to not be perfect.

Growing up in an age where everything is mass produced and these little individual quirks and differences don't exist, this is a nice change. It takes some of the pressure off having everything "perfect" and gives us a bit more breathing room. I will be content with the little "imperfections" in my armor once it's complete.

97eb1524f23613b841c8e958fe451cb2.jpg

The black one is Johnny Cash, the tan/white is Puss in Boots. These 2 are no rebels, but very powerful sith.

Boots is the Sith Lord and has pretty much everyone under his control, and he's a diabetic which aids in his control of my schedule. Johnny would be his apprentice, and manipulates with his ridiculous cuteness.

• Like 1

I have a whole schtick with Johnny and sings like I Paw the Line, Don't Take Your Toys to Town, and Ring Worm of Fire.

Yeah, he's type 1. I've had him since college and he's been with me through all my crazy adult life. He's actually doing very well, but the insulin is expensive.

They're cute...I'll keep them around a lil longer.

That's awesome! The Man In Black is a great choice of name. <br><br>

Good on your for helping out the little diabetic critter.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk Edited by El_Pablo

6c733b7f1d96bf9a9ee36655ebd322b4.jpg this is Priscilla, highly trained in the ways of the dark side. And her younger brother batman e5b7dd2c448c8756ce2a6d4b18227c28.jpg laying with the base commander. (Mom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You should be okay, just needs some sanding to even things out. Try to remove as little of what you have near the arm in that second photo. Getting a bit close.

• Like 1

Thanks Luc and Mark. Good to know about the neck too. Seems kind of like an annoying place to have a return edge rubbing on somebody. <br><br>

I know the wrist and bottom of the shins don't have returns either. Is there anywhere else? Perhaps the neck of the back plate doesn't?<br><br>

If I get this done in time we might get to meet at Fan Expo in Ottawa if you're going to be there Luc. I should be the one dressed like a Stormtrooper...

You have the list of "required" no return areas already. Some also do no return at the bottom of the biceps and shoulder bells, others do.

Your best bet is to check out any screen references you can find (there's a nice gallery on this site) to see what you want to do.

FanExpo in Ottawa? If I recall, FanExpo is only in Toronto. We had a Pop Expo in Ottawa last year in November, but I'm not sure about plans for this year. If you're coming up to Ottawa for a con after you're approved, definitely give us a shout at the CCG!

• Like 1

Oh and I would mention that some remove the return in the elbow well. Depends on the size of your arms and it's for comfort. I also removed some of the return at the top of one of my thighs to make them a bit more even/symmetrical and for comfort.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Luc. You're right, I guess I meant Pop Expo. Do you know if 501st members still get the joy of paying full price for admission to things like this and Comic Con etc.?

As an exhibitor, we are offered a reduced rate for some events. I know that we asked that everyone works a minimum amount of time in the booth. I'm not sure how it's been managed with out-of-towners. I didn't attend OCC this year and I am still new!
  • Like 1

I've taped each pair of thigh pieces together and gave them a test drive. <br><br>

Even if I hold them as high up as possible, to the point where they're really close to my ...ummm... twig and berries...? The backs of the thighs bite into the areas behind my knees quite a lot, and the idea of climbing stairs is impossible. Walking is more of a forward wobble.<br><br>

Needless to say, I've got to take some off the tops of each thigh. <br><br>

What's the recommended way to do this? Should I glue the pieces together first and then get chopping? For that matter, should I glue most of this stuff together first and then trim it to fit? I noticed this is what Pandatrooper did with his, but that guy is on a whole other level when it comes to this stuff. Should I follow the existing contour, or try to go for something more specific to my body type? And, is a return edge at the tops of thighs required for higher levels like Centurion?<br><br>

Finally, should I get fries or onion rings with my burger?

Edited by pewpewpew