PPP's AP ANH Stunt BBB WTF LOL

pewpewpew

Your thigh pieces should sit as high and possible. Hold off on trimming them before you can wear your torso. That'll really show you how everything fits together. Return edge can be removed and still be approved Centurion. A lot of people trim out the bick of teh knee area to improve mobility. Check some Centurion threads for examples. You can hold off on gluing the front cover strips before trimming. I actually assembled my legs last!

• Like 2

Your thigh pieces should sit as high and possible. Hold off on trimming them before you can wear your torso. That'll really show you how everything fits together. Return edge can be removed and still be approved Centurion. A lot of people trim out the bick of teh knee area to improve mobility. Check some Centurion threads for examples. You can hold off on gluing the front cover strips before trimming. I actually assembled my legs last!

Thanks for the wisdom. I had my cart before my horse. Cutting the back of the knee would probably add a lof of comfort as well.

And this might seem like a silly question, but are there strips on the insides of all seams as well? I'm guessing it'll add extra strength and make assembly easier. I just wasn't sure.

I don't think they're required, but they help with the strength and integrity. I feel like gluing on one side only would be substantially more fragile, but that's my opinion. It made it easier for some of the pieces that needs some pushing to stay in position for the glue to set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I haven't been updating this thing obviously, but I sure have been busy working on my kit. When I ordered this box of plastic I can honestly say I had no idea what I was getting into.<br>

I know a proper update with pictures etc. is needed and I hope to put together something this weekend that better illustrates the degree of progress I've made, as it seems that all my spare time is spent building. <br>

10 straight hours of building here today and it still doesn't look like I'm any closer to the end. The last few weekends have been similar, and I'm sure the wife is happy to have me out of her hair too. I picked a great project to be obsessive compulsive about, because this thing is never going to freaking end! There may be an actual Death Star by the time I'm done. I had to trim one of my very limited supply of split rivets with the Dremel earlier today, when the Dremel finally caught it and launched it... POOF! Jedi Mind Trick... That was no longer the rivet I was looking for! Time for a break for now.<br>

BTW, I had no idea that "WTF" was another community based acronym... I just added that to the title for laughs. Sorry Walt.

Ha ha, i had to look it up the first time i saw it too.

I actually got his Shadowtrooper kit. It's not as simple as Anovos' kits, but if you take your time you'll get here. I finished an Anovos in less than a month, WTF is going to take me quite a bit longer.

Id you invest a bit of time then you're making progress.

Alright, I haven't been updating this thing obviously, but I sure have been busy working on my kit. When I ordered this box of plastic I can honestly say I had no idea what I was getting into.<br>

I know a proper update with pictures etc. is needed and I hope to put together something this weekend that better illustrates the degree of progress I've made, as it seems that all my spare time is spent building. <br>

10 straight hours of building here today and it still doesn't look like I'm any closer to the end. The last few weekends have been similar, and I'm sure the wife is happy to have me out of her hair too. I picked a great project to be obsessive compulsive about, because this thing is never going to freaking end! There may be an actual Death Star by the time I'm done. I had to trim one of my very limited supply of split rivets with the Dremel earlier today, when the Dremel finally caught it and launched it... POOF! Jedi Mind Trick... That was no longer the rivet I was looking for! Time for a break for now.<br>

BTW, I had no idea that "WTF" was another community based acronym... I just added that to the title for laughs. Sorry Walt.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Blam-o!!

It was my action shot for my submission.

Thinking of redoing for my cards, or using my friend's kid dressed as an ewok.

Decisions, decisions.

That's really the best pic I've seen in a while. It has a Lion King vibe going.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Edited by Strength
  • Like 1

I was thinking something similar for my action shot actually.  lol.

Anyway, time for some pictures with a real update, and also I need some advice regarding getting this all to fit.  First off, a potato phone quality pic of some tights and an unfinished lid.

CFhXs9s.jpg

FYI, get your tights from Costco if you can.  They're ladies tights, but they feel FABULOUS! Feels like I'm wearing, nothing at all...  nothing at all... nothing at all...  Also, they're super cheap.

Perhaps somebody can have a look at the pics of the test fit and make some recommendations.  Everything just sits horribly awkward right now, and I'm not sure what and when I should be trimming the kidney and ab portions. It seems that if those parts were trimmed and attached to each other the proper fitting would be easier to assess.  Also, do I trim the kidney first and leave the ab alone for now, or equal amounts of both?  I went with elastic for the joining snaps and webbing for the snap plates.  I also opted to just have separate snap plates for the crotch area so as not to have extra stress on the snaps that were drilled into the ABS itself.  In an emergency they might make good backup snaps though.

Left side, arms up:

P21vO21.jpg

Left side, with arms out front:

qyamGQo.jpg

Right side:

M8ynT3h.jpg

Back of my front:

0g7N9wn.jpg

Front side:

X82TGIP.jpg

Any thoughts?  Recommendations on getting this to sit properly?  It seems like my but plate is sitting to high, but if I lower it then my back plate would sit to low, unless I leave a bit of gap between it and the kidney.

As mentioned I went with extra snaps in the crotch area to avoid putting stress on the ones that were drilled into the ABS itself.

9eNdAsy.jpg

I never would have thought I would have this many clamps and still need more:

cdqizTu.jpg

The snaps seem like they're attaching to the web well enough:

aG9wBgJ.jpg

I've got lots of stuff glued, but nothing completed really.  So far I'm aiming for the standard recommended cover strip sizes, which I'm saving until after I've got everything to fit properly.  I really like the E6000 and find it very forgiving.  The idea that people can do this with CA glue blows my mind.  That's just not enough play time.  nUeZ1Ft.jpg

And finally, the cat tax:

dlaxNtS.jpg

Any and all feedback is welcome, folks.  Thanks for taking the time to look.

• Like 1

Your ab and kidney should line up at the top ridge. It's possible you will need to trim the kidney. Don't trim the ab. Make sure that your trim line is vertical...I would say take off a bit at a time.

Regarding your butt plate, you could just wear your back plate a bit lower and potentially move your chest/ab up a bit (not sure if you can do that at all. You will just have a longer strap from the chest to back that sits on your shoulder.

Also, you'll need to remove that graphic from your tights at the back near the neck. Another word of warning regarding women's compression gear - the neck can be a bit bigger, so make sure your neckseal's bib is big enough or find a way to secure it to the shirt.

You're making good progress!

• Like 1

Your ab and kidney should line up at the top ridge. It's possible you will need to trim the kidney. Don't trim the ab. Make sure that your trim line is vertical...I would say take off a bit at a time.

Regarding your butt plate, you could just wear your back plate a bit lower and potentially move your chest/ab up a bit (not sure if you can do that at all. You will just have a longer strap from the chest to back that sits on your shoulder.

Also, you'll need to remove that graphic from your tights at the back near the neck. Another word of warning regarding women's compression gear - the neck can be a bit bigger, so make sure your neckseal's bib is big enough or find a way to secure it to the shirt.

You're making good progress!

Thanks Luc. I think that's what I was missing for getting everything to sit right. I need to line up the ab and kidney for a better understanding of how everything sits. Good catch with the neck seal etc. I might have painted myself into a corner there otherwise.
  • Like 1

I've seen a tutorial to remove the graphics off compression gear. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is coming a long nicely. You will be a TK in no time. Keep it up :smiley-sw013:

Thanks Preston. I really don't think it's possible to keep track of the hours that one puts into this. It gets a bit tiring and discouraging at times to spend hours filing, sanding and gluing and not having much to show for it at the end of the day. I've been going through all the old threads people have posted of their past troops to keep moral up, knowing that one day I will be out there too.

Well, off to work, and if I have enough energy when I get home I will look at closing up these thighs. The right one looks like it's going to be a lot of fighting.

BTW, I read your post in the Sound Off section and it was pretty awesome too. Good stuff.

Edited by pewpewpew
  • Like 1

I think keeping overestimating the time you will need is the way to go. I started in February expecting to finish my build by the end of the summer and bam, two months later I was actually done! Hopefully you have the same experience. You should handle at a few troops with your garrison to get a feel for trooping and ask questions and get to know folks!

• Like 1

I think keeping overestimating the time you will need is the way to go. I started in February expecting to finish my build by the end of the summer and bam, two months later I was actually done! Hopefully you have the same experience. You should handle at a few troops with your garrison to get a feel for trooping and ask questions and get to know folks!

That's some good advice actually.  I can always drag my kit along if I'm feeling brave, but to get a feel for it first would make the most sense.

Can somebody have a look at the picture below and let me know what you think?  I've highlighted it so you can better see the curve I'm working with.  You can also see the curve by the shadow it casts on the other side.  It seems when I cut both sides of the right-front thigh to leave a 10mm return on either side, I have one side one side seems straight, while the other has a curve to it.  Any suggestions for attaching a curved piece to a straight piece?  I attempted it last night and nothing would line up.  With glue smeared everywhere I just gave up in frustration and moved on to something else.

qQkV9sp.jpg

Well, since all the cool kids are getting one, I decided to pick up one of those bins as well.  For that much space for $30, it seemed like the way to go.  It might not be as sturdy as the Husky, but it's larger and will serve the same purpose.

I also managed to dig up a dark green face shield that will be later cut up to make lenses.  I think it should work well. 

And....  my disco boots arrived! 

Not pictured are the two new tubes of everybody's favorite condiment, E6000!

epoqH9l.jpg

• Like 2

Can somebody have a look at the picture below and let me know what you think?  I've highlighted it so you can better see the curve I'm working with.  You can also see the curve by the shadow it casts on the other side.  It seems when I cut both sides of the right-front thigh to leave a 10mm return on either side, I have one side one side seems straight, while the other has a curve to it.  Any suggestions for attaching a curved piece to a straight piece?  I attempted it last night and nothing would line up.  With glue smeared everywhere I just gave up in frustration and moved on to something else.

Lots of clamps, magnets and easy peel masking tape, as much as needed. I find clamping the ends, then magnets down the centers then wrap tape around to pull the pieces together if needed. That's why we use E6000, gives you time to setup the pieces correctly before it bonds.
  • Like 2

Lots of clamps, magnets and easy peel masking tape, as much as needed. I find clamping the ends, then magnets down the centers then wrap tape around to pull the pieces together if needed. That's why we use E6000, gives you time to setup the pieces correctly before it bonds.

Thanks Q. So far I've been able to do all the gluing myself, but I think this time I'm going to need a couple extra hands to get everything set in place. Previously I let the glue sit for 4-5 minutes to become tacky, but this time I think it might be better to start clamping while the glue is a bit slippery. I'm thinking this will allow things to slide into place easier.

I was also thinking of putting one of these on each end while I get everything into place. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-inch--stop-lock-hand-clamp.1000811770.html

Thanks Q. So far I've been able to do all the gluing myself, but I think this time I'm going to need a couple extra hands to get everything set in place. Previously I let the glue sit for 4-5 minutes to become tacky, but this time I think it might be better to start clamping while the glue is a bit slippery. I'm thinking this will allow things to slide into place easier.

I was also thinking of putting one of these on each end while I get everything into place. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-inch--stop-lock-hand-clamp.1000811770.html

I used a few of those during my gluing. Very helpful :) 

• Like 1

I used a few of those during my gluing. Very helpful :)

Thanks Raz, I will be picking up a couple tomorrow.  I hope they give me the extra torque I need to keep the ends in place while I line up the middle of the thigh.    Besides, ya can't have enough clamps it seems.

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't pretty but I got the thigh glued. There was glue everywhere and clean up is going to suck. I'm really glad there's cover strips covering this mess.

KxSVRoP.jpg

Edited by pewpewpew
  • Like 1

Looking good Travis. E6000 cleans up pretty easily. Peel up an edge and it pulls off like a big sticky nose booger. The cover strips can hide most sins.

• Like 2

Looking good Travis. E6000 cleans up pretty easily. Peel up an edge and it pulls off like a big sticky nose booger. The cover strips can hide most sins.

Yes, I've noticed this.  My workbench is covered with boogers.  Oddly enough, I'm okay with it.

• Like 1