Hasbro Doopy Conversion w/ Hyperdyne Labs Upgrade (pewpewpew!)

Cricket

So while I’m waiting on my armor, I decided to jump into doing a Hasbro build.  This is my very first time doing something like this!  I have a Hyperfirm, but I also wanted something with sound and lights for fun.  So not only am I doing the Doopy’s kit overlay, but I’m upgrading the guts with a Hyperdyne Labs e-11 Blaster Upgrade, too.  I don’t expect my blaster to end up super screen accurate, but I’m going to do my best to improve it as well as I can.  Here’s some of my progress so far:

I’ve been getting ideas from Pandatrooper’s Hasbro build:
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8838-pandatroopers-hasbro-build/

I used this youtube tutorial for a Hasbro conversion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDt7bM2p_3U

And this youtube tutorial for the Doopydoos assembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwoSCEWRms

Great info here, too:
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19872-dm101-doopys-e11-blaster-build/page-3?hl=%20dm101%20%20e-11

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32111-fisd-e-11-blaster-reference/

To the build!   :Laser: 
Blaster before the upgrade:  27237338901_db02966187_o.jpg

First thing, cutting off the ends of the scope to open the blaster up.  Opening up my blaster was a royal PITA.   I completely mangled the t-track on the top along the seam because it was completely CA glued on.  I think it took me about a little over an hour to pry the entire blaster apart because of all the inside areas that had been glued together.  I didn’t want anything major to break, so I took my time.  It was very frustrating, and I almost gave up a few times.  The feeling of victory when the pieces came apart was exhilarating!   :peace:   Here's the blaster after sanding and the scope cutting.
27209903562_8d6537b7ca_c.jpg

Next, I decided that since I’d mangled the top t-track, I would just replace it.  Which meant replacing all of them so they would match.  I purchased a set of t-tracks from Marv, and will install them soon.  Using my Dremel (which is the most amazing tool EVAR), I sanded off all the tracks.

While I was at it, I decided that the backwards flash guards had to go.  I gently cut them off with my cutting wheel to save as much of the pieces as possible.  I will be gluing just one back on in the correct position on the right side only (because there isn’t supposed to be one on the left).

I really didn’t like the Hasbro scope/counter combo, so I decided to 86 them entirely.  Well, let’s be honest: I had mangled the sight of the scope when taking the blaster apart.  I could have limped along and created a something to patch up the ends that I had cut off.  But no.  I couldn’t do it!  I had purchased an extra scope and counter from Doopy’s when I bought my conversion kit, so ultimately, the decision was easy.

I had a challenging time getting started with the first cut of removing the scope.  There would be no turning back once I started!  So, armed with my Dremel fitted with a cutting wheel, I took a deep breath, and….

26699678144_f59f98642c_c.jpg

Cutting the scope off left me with a gaping hole in the top of the blaster.  See below.  Scary!    :icon_eek: 
27209889492_42bba02081.jpg27236926611_4c21e19cb2.jpg

But, this will be an easy fix.  I will cut out a piece of black ABS, carve it to the shape of the hole, and simply glue it to the top.  It will be under the scope and painted, so it won’t really be seen anyhow.  Pics of that to come soon.

Then there was the issue of how to attach the scope and counter to the blaster.  Hm.  I didn’t want to glue them on because of how they would sit on the blaster.  Plus, I didn't feel that they would be all that stable just glued on there.  And I really wanted to have a ‘real’ metal scope rail on my blaster rather than the solid plastic piece (sad excuse for a scope rail) that currently exists. 

After careful examination, I found out that I could completely grind off the plastic scope rail on the Hasbro without losing integrity to the main housing of the blaster.  So off it went.  I wasn’t as terrified of this kind of slicing and dicing of the blaster as I was when chopping off the scope.  It seems that the first cut is always the most difficult to do, right?

I was about to drop yet more money on a pre-made scope rail when I discovered that I could easily (and inexpensively) make my own.  Bill Hag is a god!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/4697-howto-make-a-metal-scope-rail-counter-bracket/

So off to Home Depot to pick up a few pieces of aluminum.  I think both pieces cost me less than $10, and I’ve got enough material to make at least 2 scope rails with counter brackets.  Sweet!  Progress pics of that to come soon.

I made some mods to the Doopy’s pieces.  I cut off the pre-formed ‘button’ on the ammo box, and glued on a button that was included with the upgraded magazine (also purchased from Doopy’s).  The e-11 Conversion Kit has a magazine that fits best with the Hasbro.  The ‘Upgraded Magazine’ would fit well on a pipe build, or on something more authentic. 
27236925751_46b90e2f0e_n.jpg27236925481_e5ea5a73ef_n.jpg
27236924771_15fae90c43_n.jpg27236923951_7ae27dfc19_n.jpg

I Dremeled out some areas of the folding stock piece to add depth.  My carving skills need sharpening, though (see what I did there?  Haha…).  On a suggestion from Pandatrooper’s build, I added some rivets to the stock, too.  Stupid me, I should have just removed the rivet pin first and then glued the rivet in the hole.  So the pin is stuck in there now, and I don’t feel like drilling it out (just so my rivet can look a little better).  Does anyone really notice rivets, anyways?

27236926711_2c4eb7512a.jpg

I also decided to make my folding stock actually pivot off of the blaster so I can remove it if I ever have issues with my electronics.  I drilled out this little X on both sides of the blaster. 

26699676664_9af67daafb_n.jpg27236923361_b4c60d9cdb_n.jpg

I had to carve out a notch in the handgrip so that the folding stock ends met up perfectly with the X parts of the handgrip. This seemed to take me forever to do! 

27031783370_5aa7a9dc2c.jpg

Once everything lined up perfectly, I then drilled holes in the folding stock itself. 

27236923881_e142c03204_n.jpg27236923711_ee482233a3_n.jpg

Using a 2” aluminum screw post, I pushed the post through, and VOILA, fully pivoting folding stock piece.  Woo! 

27236923031_e95e94d1db_n.jpg27236922811_77d2c2c040_n.jpg

27236922601_3b15e13ee7_n.jpg

Once this was installed, I added the front part of the folding stock and lightly glued it into place while it was snugly seated against the blaster.  This made sure that there would be no gaps between the folding stock and the blaster once it had dried.  The pic below shows that there is no light seeping through between the folding stock pieces and the barrel of the blaster.

26699680834_fd65545087.jpg

I will be using Pandatrooper’s method of securing the front of the stock to the blaster with a t-nut mounted inside the blaster and screw through the folding stock.

I picked up an upgraded magazine clip from gazmosis.  It took me a bit of sanding and shaping, but I got the clip to fit in the Doopy’s magazine nicely.  Pics of that to come soon.

Oh, and then there’s the Hyperdyne Labs e-11 Blaster Upgrade.  So. Much. Pewpewpew!  I can’t tell you how much I love this little light/sound setup.  And the fact that it vibrates the blaster when fired is such a cool bonus.   I took some tips regarding the installation of this kit from this Youtube tutorial for a Hasbro conversion (it’s near the end of the video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDt7bM2p_3U  I Dremeled out some extra areas inside of the blaster so everything would fit better, and I added the popsicle stick for the trigger for extra stability.  The kit is very, very easy to install.  Even if you don’t know anything about electronics, you can install it within minutes. 

27306890275_2db8b9aa08.jpg27306890705_6f3c31d1ab.jpg

The only info that wasn’t included with the Hyperdyne kit was where to install the green/yellow/red status LED lights on the blaster.  Using the video mentioned in the above paragraph, I saw where he had installed his lights, so I used that as my resource.  Using a small drill bit on my Dremel, I gently drilled out three holes until they were large enough to fit the lights snugly near the hand grip.

I’m still planning on drilling some holes on the left side of the barrel near the bottom and also adding a bayonet lug.  My 7/16” drill bit arrives today, so that work will take place over the weekend.  After that, the painting process begins (woo!).  Can’t wait to get that started.

Aaaand that's all for now, folks!  Any tips/feedback is always appreciated!   :salute:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I’m in new territory with modding this blaster.  I can’t find too many build threads that illustrate what I was looking to accomplish, such as adding a metal scope bracket to a Hasbro blaster, and adding all the holes to the barrel.  Maybe I missed that thread!  Anyhow, off to winging it I go…

27571768756_3da5a39776.jpg27571768236_f5ba8d76de.jpg

Scope rail for the Hasbro.  What a PITA!  Still, once I got over my learning curve, it wasn’t difficult at all.  I used a 1/8”x 3/4”piece of aluminum for my rail, and a 1/16” 2” L shaped piece of aluminum for the counter bracket.  I got it all correct on my 4th attempt.  Instead of going over the step-by-step, I’ll just list some things I learned from my mistakes:

Don’t scratch that.  On a 1/8” thick piece of aluminum, every time I scored the inside of where I wanted the 90 degree bend (at the front of the scope rail), it snapped when I bent it at the score line.  Maybe it was the stock from Home Depot that was the problem.  Anyhow, with a vice grip, some clamps, and patience, I was able to get a nice bend in the aluminum without scoring it.

Scored on the left, unscored on the right-

26996596953_e7c0156481.jpg27532728271_a8f87e0809.jpg

Bend before cutting.  Because the end of the stock is perfectly straight, I used that to my advantage.  I made the 90 degree bend in the stock before cutting my length for the e-11.  Even if the length after the 90 degree bend is too long, you can cut that down later.  You can see here how the bend was good, but the length after the bend was too long.  (I sanded that down so there was less of an incline in the scope rail on the blaster).  Oh, and ignore that gaping hole you see there...  there's a reason for that...

26995655654_c02b1d0b79_c.jpg

Fit the curve.  Using my belt sander and Dremel, I created a curve in the end of the aluminum stock so that it would sit more flush on the barrel.  Here you can see how the end curves to the barrel.  I drilled a hole into the end of the scope rail to anchor it to the blaster.

27328623620_18eabb592c.jpg27571805396_35db628517.jpg

Measure long.  When cutting the length of the scope rail (after you’ve got your super cool 90 degree bend), measure the distance between the front of the 90 degree bend to where you want to anchor the scope rail to the rear sight at the end of the blaster.  Add a few centimeters to that.  Because the Hasbro blaster has some additional plastic stuff below the scope, the scope rail needs to be positioned a bit higher than a typical pipe build.  So the scope rail on the Hasbro will slope down just slightly over the rear sight.  That little bend down will take up some of your length.  It's much easier to grind down a too-long piece of rail than to end up with one that's too short, 'cos there ain't no fixin' that! (*ahem* ask me how I know...)

27328627170_0be06e42de.jpg

Dremel < Jigsaw!  I was trying to use my Dremel and a cutting wheel to make the little cuts necessary to get the piece to fit into the sight part of the end of the e-11.  I couldn’t get my cuts very straight, and it was taking a ridiculously long time to make any progress.  Then I realized that I owned a jigsaw and a variety of blades.  Woo hoo!  A jigsaw fitted with a blade for metal, and I was speeding through my metal cuts with ease.

More hacks.  The plastic ‘counter’ on the Hasbro sticks out to the point where it renders the counter bracket unusable. 

27571791146_8aa935ab9c.jpg

So time for the Dremel, and off it goes. 
26996596453_54c2c9102c.jpg26996595843_a7c04e4ae4.jpg

There’s a gap once it’s carved out, but the counter on the counter bracket will cover the hole.  And if it’s too noticeable, then I will just cover the gap with a piece of black ABS cut to fit.

27506373882_fb4b7c4634.jpg27571804786_c5e829e0b1.jpg

I took down the extra material in the front so the scope is more level.
27506371752_0069466fa0.jpg

27506372672_963386f51d.jpg

27571805056_e153b455f1.jpg

Aaaand that's all for now!  Next up will be holes galore and paint, paint, paint...

Edited by Cricket

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like progress has been slow on this, but I think I've made some steps onward!  I got some more ideas from here.

Putting a hole in it.  I realized that my 7/16” drill bit was going to be too large to match the existing holes in my Hasbro blaster.  Digging through my drill bits, I found that I had 25/64” drill bit that was the closest match for the existing holes.  So if you’re looking to do this kind of mod, a 25/64” drill bit is your ticket.  Woo!  I added holes everywhere except for the areas where the blaster halves meet at the top and bottom.  The bottom area will be covered by the folding stock piece, and the top area will be covered with a piece of t-track.

27714501862_fd5066a998.jpg

27714501322_8fc04ef8b0.jpg

Because the Hasbro is somewhat smaller than an ‘approvable’ e-11, the hole templates that I found online for a pipe build wouldn’t work for me.  I really didn’t feel like spending the time scaling the template down until I found a perfect match, so I ended up eyeballing the hole placement.  The holes aren’t perfectly aligned, but they don’t look too shabby.  In areas where I the holes aren’t perfect, I used some Green Stuff to fill in the imperfections.  After sanding and painting, they blend in nicely.  

27739956911_25e3044084.jpg

So why perforate the heck out of a perfectly good Hasbro blaster?  My idea behind drilling all the holes is for the benefit of the lights inside my blaster.  Instead of the lights shining through the areas with holes only, I am theorizing that there will be some light leaking through all the holes under the t-track when the blaster is fired.  If my guess is correct, only the indirect light from the LEDs will be visible, and not the LED bulbs themselves. Which makes for a much sweeter effect when PEW-PEW-PEWing, I think!

Cosmetic makeover!  Three coats flat black.  Nuff said.

27203503754_deec055eca.jpg

PVC to Flash Guard.  I hated how tiny the flash guard is on this blaster.  I had originally intended to simply re-glue the flash guard that was on it (backwards), but I decided that I could do better by crafting my own. 

27714491202_d880b7efa4.jpg

Using an piece of PVC pipe that I had in my workshop, I cut off a section of that and sanded it to the shape of the flash guard.  I heated it a bit with my heat gun so it would have more of a curve to fit the hole.  After gluing with E6000, I painted it flat black.  Works for me!

27714489542_09805d670c.jpg

Lugging along.  I really wanted to add a bayonet lug to my blaster, too.  After reading dozens of posts about how to make one, I realized that I had two options: 1. Find an object to make a bayonet lug, or 2. Make a bayonet lug from scratch.  I realized that it would take me much less time to make one from scratch, believe it or not!  I made a lump of Green Stuff into a shape of a die.  I let it dry overnight. 

27714488572_efbe01d1e3.jpg

Using photos from the Blaster Reference files, I carved a bayonet lug using a Dremel and a small hack saw.  It may not be perfect, but it works well enough for me! 

27739956421_49b9c81d55.jpg

I attached it to my blaster with some E6000, and secured it further by adding a screw from the inside of the barrel. 

27714487522_e010cd5c5b.jpg27714487262_86d8a70591.jpg

I hit it with some flat black paint, and it’s done!

Right on track.  With everything perforated and painted as I wanted it, it was finally time to get some t-tracks installed.  I picked up a set of t-tracks from Marv here in the FISD.  They are awesome!  The Hasbro blaster is somewhat smaller than a full-sized e-11, so I had to reduce the width of the tracks.  I sanded down the outer edges of the t-tracks with my belt sander just enough so they wouldn't entirely cover up the holes.  Remember, I want the light to shine through a bit from the inside of the barrel.  

I tried to fit the tracks in using the boiling water technique, but found that it wouldn’t heat up the tracks enough to work with.   While the hot water made them bendable, they cooled way too fast to work with.  So I grabbed my heat gun, heated up the ends of the t-tracks, and was able to work with ease.  It was so flippin’ cool to finally see t-tracks on my blaster!  

27815676365_12380b4513.jpg27714485842_9a3943211b.jpg

Light show.  Just when I began to think that my progress was moving along nicely, I hit a snag.  The Hyperdyne light kit isn’t designed to fit in a blaster that has the t-tracks installed.  The lights on the system are supposed to fit just inside the holes along the length of the barrel.  And now four of those holes are filled in with t-track.  The blaster wouldn't close.  Oops.  Now what?!

Dremel to the rescue?  I sanded down everything I could to make the lights inside fit, and realized that there were still two areas where the lights wouldn’t fit inside the barrel.  I took a leap of faith and gently… oh soooooo gently and slowly while holding my breath and keeping one eye closed… bent the LED lights (oh please don’t break, please please please don’t break…) so they were moved out of the way of the obstructions of the t-tracks on both sides.   

27739957711_8d91b3222e.jpg27815675965_b8bf3434e1.jpg

No breakage, yay!  Then once I was able to get them to fit, the real test came.  Would everything still function when powered up?!  Holding my breath again, I flipped on the power and closed my eyes (please work, please work, please work….).  I pulled the trigger.   

Yaaaassss!!!  Everything still worked!  Whew!  Okay, let’s get everything glued in now, shall we?

Securing the motion.   Once all the electronics were installed just right, I still had to deal with gluing in the little motor that provides the motion when the trigger is pulled.  There is not a lot of room for the motor in there.  It took me several hours of gluing, closing, and then having to reopen the blaster, reposition the motor, and glue it again in place so it would have a clear area inside to turn.  By the end of the day, I had it just where I wanted, and I was able to button up the blaster with everything inside functioning.

27815674475_731210ccae.jpg

Here’s a short video of this little blaster in action, because photos won’t do this upgrade justice.

https://youtu.be/cfZgzbTvK98

That’s all for now!  I’ll be adding on all the little Doopydoos bells and whistles to the outside of the blaster next.  Stay tuned!

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

Hi Christine, your build is looking awesome loving the blaster effects. Noticed the thickness of your scope rail, you will find it easier to get the fold you want with a narrower gauge strip, similar to the width you have for the hengstler counter bracket I'd say - looking forward to seeing this finished.

• Like 1

Noticed the thickness of your scope rail, you will find it easier to get the fold you want with a narrower gauge strip, similar to the width you have for the hengstler counter bracket I'd say

Thanks for that tip, John!   :duim: 

I had considered, and actually built, a scope rail using the 1/16" gauge aluminum, just for my own curiosity.  I actually prefer the beefier look of the scope rail over the thinner one, even though the fold in the 1/16" aluminum has a sharper bend to it.   I could still tweak the thicker one I have, but I'm totally good with how it is now.  I think I would be much more picky about this kind of detail if I was going for a full-blown replica.  :Laser:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been simultaneously working on my RS build lately, so that has slowed down my blaster build a little bit.  But I've made some forward progress recently!

First, I needed to close up the gaping hole I cut in the blaster to accommodate the counter bracket.  Using a piece of black ABS, I cut out a shape to match the top of the hole.

28696576893_fbb539116e.jpg29238497341_fb89dbdc4a.jpg

Next I had to figure out how to close up the two-sided hole on the vertical side.  I made a paper template in the shape of the hole, including both sides.

28696575983_0508e93528.jpg

I put a bend in the paper and traced the corner with pencil.

29209179512_8f1dcd3b85.jpg

I cut out the shape, and made a light score line where the bend needed to be.

29283586876_19458ca00f.jpg

Using a heat gun, I heated up the piece at the score line, and bent it to about a 90 degree angle.

28696572573_8e1bd5f262.jpg

Aaaand.... it fits nicely!

29317171105_711fe4d321.jpg

I hit both pieces with two coats of flat black and let dry.

29317170755_0c4b43bf91.jpg

I attached them using black hot glue.  Hole closed!

29317169595_c4a1b3a0e1_c.jpg

This won't be very easily seen because it's going to be mostly hidden by the scope rail, scope, and counter box.  So the edges don't have to be pretty.  

I glued the front piece on the end of the muzzle.

29284558336_fb40494875.jpg

I've also attached the folding stock, Doopy's magazine and replacement magazine I bought from Gazmosis.  The folding stock is secured with a T-nut and screw underneath the barrel of the blaster.

29239427431_54defc7e7a.jpg

I added the Doopy's power cylinders, D ring, and whatever the things are called that are attached below the end of the gun.

28697352043_1b4766e5e5.jpg29239351311_3af1af3e29.jpg

It's finally starting to look not so much like a toy.  Pew pew pew!

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Oh, hai!  :)  Yep, I'm still working on this.  I've been consumed with finishing my TK, and now that it's done, I am making a mad dash to finish assembling this e-11 in time for SWC.  Today's progress:

I built a new scope rail out of thinner (slightly lighter) aluminum.  I'm now liking the look of a thin scope rail now, go figure!  Using the counter bracket that I had built last year, I lined up the holes and whatnot on the blaster, and made new holes into the new rail so everything fit together.  I carefully drilled holes into the bottom of the scope and test fit everything together.  

33072661440_4eed716280.jpg

Yay, it all fits!  

And l like this little mod I made into the scope.  I can't seem to find where I originally saw the tutorial for this (sorry!).  I carefully drilled out some of the inside of the scope to make a hole for depth.  I then trimmed a small circle of an old CD to fit waaaay back in there for reflectivity.  Over that, I cut another small circle of transparent red film and drew some lines on it.  Stuck that in there on top of the CD piece.  Then at the front of the scope, I glued a lens, finishing off the trim with a piece of 22 gauge black wire.  The scope now has a really nice "depth" to it when you look in, and it reflects in a super cool way.  

32612862574_ee90711be4_c.jpg

I've hit the new rail with some black spray paint and am waiting for it to fully dry before assembling it all.  I'm very excited to get to the weathering part of this build.  Stay tuned!