Velcro and plastidip...

If I want to plastidip the inside of my helmet and have velcro for electronics do I mask where I want the velcro or do I just stick it on the plastidip?

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

That's the reason I haven't painted the inside of my lid. Just toooo much going on in there. It's almost coated on the inside with black duct tape anyway :D

Just as Terry mentioned, mask it off.  I would also recommend sanding down and then de-greasing the inside before you use the Plasti-Dip for better adhesion. 

Hmm...i did the plastidip and cheesecloth method on my helmet interior, and then placed velcro inside to hold my MICH pads in, and have had zero problem with it peeling at all. Then again, i do not take my pads out unless I absolutely have to for cleaning. If it does end up peeling, it would not be hard for me to just touch it up real quick.

• Like 1

I think I'll mask it off to be on the safe side as some of the velcro will be holding a battery pack which will come out often...

Thanks for the input guys, you never cease to come up with the goods

Edited by AWOL

I also used Plasti-Dip and the cheesecloth method. I used velcro to hold in my mic and 2 fans with battery pack.  I haven't had any problems with it peeling up.  I plasti-dipped the chrome badges on my truck and they have been through all the elements for 2 years and not once has one peeled.  If you picked at it it will peel but once you install the velcro you won't be picking at it.

Edited by Squimspickle

Tbh at this point I'm toying with the idea of covering the complete inside with self adhesive black loop velcro, not only is it soft but it would dampen any sound issues inside plus it would allow me to mount anything anywhere without having to worry about exact mounting points... it would also enhance the helmets strength...

• Like 1

Tbh at this point I'm toying with the idea of covering the complete inside with self adhesive black loop velcro, not only is it soft but it would dampen any sound issues inside plus it would allow me to mount anything anywhere without having to worry about exact mounting points... it would also enhance the helmets strength...

Hmm... Niche in the market... 'Spray-on Velcro'  :D

Edited by humperdingle

Lining the entire helmet with Velcro will also make it very hot inside. It will act like insulation. Totally up to you and the climate where you live / troop.

Live in the UK, it's never hot and did say only toying with the idea I dunno yet, I like to explore options...

Hmm... Niche in the market... 'Spray-on Velcro' :D

If that worked it could double as spray on hair

• 2 weeks later...

What's the "cheesecloth" method?<br>

Lay it in then spray?<br>

What's the advantage?

Cheesecloth method doesn't use the spray, you need the thick paint version of the plastidip, to really lay it on thick and saturate the cheesecloth. In theory it stiffens the helmet. Also gives it a sort of fiberglass look that some people like. Other than that, not much different than simply spraying the interior with the spray plastidip.

FWIW, I've yet to see a complaint of plastidipped helmets peeling up, from people who applied velcro and such directly to the plastidipped helmets. It doesn't peel off as easily as some imply, unless you're picking at an edge. Placing adhesives directly on it, in the middle of a covered part, puts very different forces on the dip than peeling an edge. Nowhere near as big of a deal as others have implied.

Now, if you're seriously abusing the parts inside, and pulling on them hard constantly, that may be a different story. But normal use (wearing it, occasionally pulling pads off the velcro for washing, etc.) doesn't seem to be an issue in most cases.

Edited by kman
  • Like 1