SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

In reference to battery location a buddy of mine (goes by Daryldoak on FISD has his battery in the chin area he says that it keeps his helmet from riding back as the weight pulls a little down.

As for the hard hat liner I too purchased the cheap one, like $6 and change. It is a little more of a pain to put on an take off but the air from the fans blows around my head nicely. I don't know that a more expensive liner would be any different unless it doesn't ride as far down on the back of the head. I'm going to play with some placement ideas for my fans and see if I can name my bucket balance a little better on my noggin.

Jim - TK50899

I thought about that, but even the one I was testing with wasn't really that bad sitting in the back. The new battery will be a lot less heavy too. I'll have to play around with it once it comes in to find the best placement.

Yea, I think I'm just going to keep it foam for now. If I find I need more airflow in the helmet, I'll switch. I don't feel like fighting with the liner while trying to get my head situated just right in the helmet right now. 

No prob! I know exactly what you mean though. I barely have any room in there either, and it's already tight to put on also. Without the battery, it doesn't take up really enough more space to notice. I'm hoping that with the battery I am ordering, the bracket will still lay snug and that the battery will nestle in well in the curvature of the helmet.

This is the one I am ordering. Plus it's only $10 to see. If not, I have an emergency phone charger.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467731772&sr=8-4&keywords=external+battery&refinements=p_89%3AAnker

I bought parts to build custom USB rechargeable batteries. I'm hoping to get close to 5200mA by hooking up 2 2600mA in parallel and placing them strategically in my bucket. When all the parts arrive and I get to doing that I'll do a tutorial (once I figure it out!) I think I spent a total of $30 and I could do 4 battery setups. This should effectively double my fan run time, (2ish hours to 4ish hours.)

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

I bought parts to build custom USB rechargeable batteries. I'm hoping to get close to 5200mA by hooking up 2 2600mA in parallel and placing them strategically in my bucket. When all the parts arrive and I get to doing that I'll do a tutorial (once I figure it out!) I think I spent a total of $30 and I could do 4 battery setups. This should effectively double my fan run time, (2ish hours to 4ish hours.)

Jim - TK50899

Nice! I'd love to see that tutorial once you get that all down. Sounds like an awesome idea!

• Like 1

I will definitely be doing a "how to" thread if it all works out. I have a friend, who's an electrical engineer and works for Intel, that I'll be running my crazy idea through to make sure it'll work out and not melt my bucket or blow up on my head!

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

Just got back from camping and was catching up on your thread.. be careful with that Anker lipstick pack. its only 1amp output. I bought them and it doesnt have enough power to kick the 5v squirrel fans I have on. The Ankers also have a minimum draw in order for it to stay on, Just in testing to run my hearing assist board i had to put a Y in the USB and have a USB stick plugged in as well. I ended up going with this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still has the minimum draw but will kick the fans on due to the higher Amp output(up to 2.4Amps)

Mike 

• Like 1

Just got back from camping and was catching up on your thread.. be careful with that Anker lipstick pack. its only 1amp output. I bought them and it doesnt have enough power to kick the 5v squirrel fans I have on. The Ankers also have a minimum draw in order for it to stay on, Just in testing to run my hearing assist board i had to put a Y in the USB and have a USB stick plugged in as well. I ended up going with this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still has the minimum draw but will kick the fans on due to the higher Amp output(up to 2.4Amps)

Mike 

Thank you for sharing that! Bummer. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, but that sucks. I'll probably have to end up getting something completely different now. Glad you got it worked out though!! 

I'm not very well-versed in the electrical world. So I'll need something with 2.4Amps or more to kick on two 5v fans? Anything else I should look at as far as specs for a portable battery charger for this? 

My portable battery charger should be in tomorrow and I'll have more updates on the completed fan system.

Until then, I got my iComm and Aker set up in my chest piece and ready to go! I made a sleeve for the amp out of 3" elastic and the velcro'd the front to keep it attached. Velcro is also on the iComm piece itself.

I scheduled my first troop for the 19th also! Woot woot!

IMG_5419_zpst46socfb.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty much the same setup as mine, I also glued a couple of angled pieces of ABS underneath them to make sure they could not fall down ;)

• Like 1

I believe from some of the research I did from a few fan setup forums that those fans just need 1.5 amps to kick em on and then they do drop to lower amp usage. The holder for the amp is a cool idea!

• Like 1

I believe from some of the research I did from a few fan setup forums that those fans just need 1.5 amps to kick em on and then they do drop to lower amp usage. The holder for the amp is a cool idea!

Awesome. Thanks! I'll remember that if I need to end up getting another pack... Which sounds like I will. Thanks! I just didn't want to place the Velcro directly on the speaker. Lol.

This was the pack a bunch of guys in the local garrison turned me on to. It's pretty large, not sure a bracket would hide it.<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Charging-Portable-Identification-Smartphones/dp/B00MWU1GGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468207901&sr=8-2&keywords=Poweradd'>https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Charging-Portable-Identification-Smartphones/dp/B00MWU1GGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468207901&sr=8-2&keywords=Poweradd</a><br><br>

Mine is currently Velcro'd to the back of my helmet.

• Like 1

Mine was at work when I got here, and lucky me the fans turn on! :D Success! It conceals pretty well too... At least better than the one I was testing with. It still pushes the bracket out a little, but for now I think I am ok with it. I'll probably still end up going with the flat style packs that I can veclro to the inside-back of the helmet to keep the bracket sunk in more....or I may switch to AA power in the future. I'd probably do that over the velcro in the helmet. AAs would definitely be fully concealed with the bracket. I just need to learn how to do all that. :P

I'll post pics later.

• Like 2

I just switched my battery pack around to being in the chin area. Now my helmet doesn't ride back and I don't have to worry about the Velcro letting loose and it falling out. In this pic the battery is loose but I'll be adding a plastic bracket to hold it in place.

53cf381ed722f220ba51eea352eee796.jpg

Also added in a switch! Now the fans aren't spinning as I don my bucket.

55653503a0b3e8f557ba3c0e84eac2af.jpg

Jim - TK50899

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

Very nice! I'm gonna play around with mine a little tonight and see what my options are for the battery pack. I may end up doing that too (moving the pack to the front). My goal is to not have any of that visible if possible, so I may buy a battery box and go that route.

I'm definitely adding a switch also! What was the wiring set-up for that? I need to find a good thread/info that has how to wire that. You know... so I don't catch my apartment on fire and all. lol :P

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

Also, how do you get the "501st Stormtrooper" badge under your profile photo on here? Does that just happen after a while, or do you need to let someone know?

I tried to add a post to the newly approved sound off section, but it won't let me. Where I would normally add a post it says "You cannot start a new topic".

Edited by SpiceCredits

Also, how do you get the "501st Stormtrooper" badge under your profile photo on here? Does that just happen after a while, or do you need to let someone know?

I tried to add a post to the newly approved sound off section, but it won't let me. Where I would normally add a post it says "You cannot start a new topic".

Once approved you have to ask for a status upgrade here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/
  • Like 3

You'll probably need to register here as well.

http://501st.com/forum/

This gets access to the swag runs.

• Like 2