SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

That's looking really great, my friend! Awesome work! Glad the magnets worked out for you as well!! :D 

I meant to work on my tab and slot method yesterday when I got home from the con, but I was tired and in a "rush to get done" mood. I ended up not doing it then because my chances for error are great when that's the case, so I decided to do it today.

I woke up, measured and got all my parts cut and had them drying while I was out today. It's my grandmother's 80th so I ended up celebrating her day with her and some family. As soon as I got home I got the parts on the armor and I have them drying now.

I'm seriously so tired. I don't know what happened, but it all hit my right after lunch at my grandmother's party. I have like 0 energy. LOL After putting the parts on my armor I passed out and napped for a while. I plan on getting back from work tomorrow to test this out and see how it works. regardless of the outcome, I'll be moving on to the legs next. I'll also get my shoulder straps attached to the chest tomorrow night as well.

I'm going to see if I can head over to a local member's house to help fit my legs this week as well. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it on my own, as it'll be hard to tell the fit since I can't really see the backs of my legs well enough to judge. I'm going to give it a shot before giving him a call though. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of just going ahead and piecing and glueing the front of the thighs and shins together and then fitting the backs after. Is that a good idea? I know for sure I'll be using 20mm cover strips for the fronts, so my thought process was just get that done and then fit and trim the backs after. Or should I not assemble the fronts so soon??

Anyway, here's what I have done today.

IMG_5016_zpswgshsmst.jpg

IMG_5017_zpsh1j5iokz.jpg

IMG_5018_zpsaiapmpwh.jpg

IMG_5019_zpskv8fwvkw.jpg

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 6

Looks good!

On the legs the cover strips are 20mm on the front and backs of the thighs but 20mm on the front of the calves but 25mm on the backs. I have a diagram of the cover strips I'll post but it's on my computer and I'm in the middle of making dinner at the moment.

If you pop over to my build thread you can check out how I did my legs. Wide painters tape was the key to doing the overlap and getting it to hold while I slid them off.

So I first I did the front sides and added the cover strips, the legs I did inner and outer strips. Then I did a test fit and overlapped the backsides and taped them in place. Then I took them off and held them next to each other to see if they were pretty mich symmetrical. The following picture are the calves bit the process is the same.

7c4227ede72da574362eb919edae919e.jpg

I then used a straight object, in this case a pencil, to bisect the calf or thigh into equal halves. That way the cover strip is centered on the back of the leg. Then make a tick mark top and bottom on both halves where the pencil touches.

7ef77598744cc541d75d9402d97040c0.jpg

a9e244e01ae618712be70b23ae8071d7.jpg

028106e8be037f3fadd23fcf07aeb7b7.jpg

Then I used a strip of blue tape to "connect the dots" then cut / score and snap, along the edge of the blue tape.

You'll end up with a gap that will need to be closed up with a hot water bath. You can then add cover strips and you're done!

Jim

• Like 2

Very nice! I'm pretty sure I can do that on my own then. Awesome! I'm sooooo close! 

I'm glad to know that I can go ahead and get the fronts of the shins and thighs sealed with cover strips before fitting and trimming the backs! That'll help out a lot. Thanks for the info!

Also… I couldn't wait till I got home, so I tried out the newly added slot and tab this morning, that I added last night to the ab/kidney, and I am happy to announce that there is zero space there now, and it sits perfectly flush and secure! Woot woot!!! I wish I would have just done that in the first place now. lol I'll be adding two smaller ones on the left side in between the rivets later to get those a little tighter as well. I'll do that after everything else is done though. Time to move along! 

Thanks for all the help guys!! :) 

• Like 2

Hey guys! 

My update for today is small. I didn't get as much done as I wanted this evening due to some personal stuff. I recently had a friendship end with a really close friend a couple weeks ago. Apparently everyone found out today and I've had to re-live the whole thing with a few people. lol It kinda put me in a downer mood, so my mind was elsewhere. But enough about that. Blah.

I've got my left shin and thigh trimmed, sanded and ready for cover strips. I'll be adding those tomorrow while getting the right leg ready for it's strips. I have my shoulder straps on the chest drying over night and that makes my torso and arms officially complete!! Yay!! Well, minus some small minor adjustments to the rivet side of the ab and kidney. Those are just cosmetic for myself later down the road though. So, I'm excited that that's all over! lol 

Here are some photos of the newly-adjusted right-side ab/kidney with the completed arms and chest attached to ab plate! Done from the waist up! That finally feels good to say! lolol

P.S. Forgive the beard trimmings in the sink LOL

IMG_5020_zpsnidmmxvm.jpg

IMG_5021_zpso1pwbmlw.jpg

IMG_5022_zpsuv3v1hgz.jpg

TA-DAA!!!
IMG_5023_zpsujpvbyaj.jpg

• Like 3

Looks awesome man!! Sorry to hear about the friendship. I too ended a long time friendship and five years later our paths came back together. So who knows? At least you have your build to look forward to and keep your mind off things.

Keep chugging along!!

Jim

• Like 1

Just a quadruple check…

I line the thighs up from the bottom and the shins from the top; correct? This way you can trim the tops of the thighs or bottoms of shins if needed; right?

Yes, you are correct. The right thigh isn't as important to be aligned perfectly because it's covered by the ammo belt. The left one is the one to take your time on. If you review the ANH reference photos not all are perfect and some have quite a bit of gap. So really either way your good to go if you make a little boo boo.

Jim

• Like 1

Very nice! Thanks! They look like the line up really close anyway, but I just wanted to make sure before I ruined it all in the last minutes. Lolol<br><br>

I'm about to glue on my inner strips for the thighs right now.

• Like 1

I've got one thigh being married together right now, and I've got the inner cover strip for the other shin drying over night. I planned on doing both thighs tonight, but I had to use most of my magnets to get the right thigh to line up how I wanted. 

Here are my shoulder bridges though!

IMG_5032_zpsqx5iqjyw.jpg

• Like 2

I've got one thigh being married together right now, and I've got the inner cover strip for the other shin drying over night. I planned on doing both thighs tonight, but I had to use most of my magnets to get the right thigh to line up how I wanted.

Here are my shoulder bridges though!

IMG_5032_zpsqx5iqjyw.jpg

Nice! I see the light at the end of the tunnel for you!

I've also got to admire your patience. I switched to CA glue because I couldn't wait for E6000 to dry every night. It only bit me once with my left shin.

Jim

• Like 1

Here are my shoulder bridges though!IMG_5032_zpsqx5iqjyw.jpg

Shoulder bridges look awesome. I forget, did you hot water bath them or just leave them. They seem pretty flexible.

• Like 1

Shoulder bridges look awesome. I forget, did you hot water bath them or just leave them. They seem pretty flexible.

Thank you!

Yea, I threw them in some hot water also. They came flat and definitely need it.

I knew I'd be lining them up and gluing them at the 5th "thinner" bar (after the first initial wide bar on the bridges), so I eye balled how much space between the chest and back I would need to bend, to fit my shoulder size from there, and gave them a dip in that area.

I may actually give them another dip too. That or try using ¼ elastic bands to get them to lay a little more flat on the back. I like how less noticeable the ⅛ elastic is though.

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

Also, I'm still glueing and drying with TimeStop-6000™. lol  I'll have both thighs joined and ready for cover strips tomorrow. Then on to the shins. I don't have clamps long enough to get in close to the centers, so each one is using basically all my magnet. :/

• Like 1

I was able to take the magnets off one of the thighs and got to glue a shin together this morning. I'll be glueing the other shin tonight and starting on cover strips tomorrow! Pics to come soon!

Moving right along! Before yo make any cuts to the backs of those shins make sure to take pics and post them for feedback.

If I didn't mention it before, make sure you size them with your boots on and you want about 1/2" gap at the top and bottom for wiggle room. After you have them taped where you want them use a pencil to mark at where they overlap. This is so you can get them lined up again once you remove them. After you have them off you can either eyeball it or use a measuring tape, preferably the sewing type, to ensure they are roughly symmetrical. (This is a step I left out the first time and my left shin ended up being almost an inch bigger than my right! Learn from my mistake. )

166b60d71580ee74dccbb061daf4e046.jpg

14ecdf7825c796c43cb84180e5b21915.jpg

I'm happy to help in any way and UKswrath is pretty quick on answering back if you post them over on his ANOVOS build page too. He reviews EIB and Centurion apps so I highly value his opinion.

Jim M.

• Like 2