Annoying questions...

AWOL

We all go through life with questions occurring to us all the time, some we are able to work out for yourself, some you get answers from your friends and these days some you google (other search engines ate available)...

But some you can't get an answer and bug the crap out of you from time to time...

So mine...

A spaceship travelling at twice the speed of light has another spaceship following behind at the same speed on the same course, if somebody looked out the rear window of the ship in front would they be able to see with their own eyes the ship following?

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

Until we can travel at twice the speed of light. This is unanswerable with actual logic, only speculation.

My speculation; yes.

Your view of the space around you would be blurred probably to the point of blackness, however, the second ship behind travelling at the same speed would be at an almost stand still, therefore visible. Sounds stupid the more I read this but that's what I think.

However, if I base my answer on fictional depictions of what that speed may look like. Then the answer is no.

• Like 1

Theoretically, the answer is yes due to the theory of relativity. Even though the ship in the back is going twice the speed of light, so is the ship you are traveling in as well. Meaning, relative to you, the other ship is not moving at all. It would be similar to looking out to your driveway and seeing your car parked. It's not moving because YOU'RE not moving.

• Like 3

Theoretically, the answer is yes due to the theory of relativity. Even though the ship in the back is going twice the speed of light, so is the ship you are traveling in as well. Meaning, relative to you, the other ship is not moving at all. It would be similar to looking out to your driveway and seeing your car parked. It's not moving because YOU'RE not moving.

Thank you!

I was trying to explain theory of relativity but I just forgot what the term was! I was also too lazy to google it LOL.

I personally have a differing opinion...

The fact that the distance between the two ships remains equidistant is nullified by them traveling at twice the speed of light therefore not allowing the light from the rear ship time to reach the front ship...

This is based on the fact you cannot make something travel quicker than its own ultimate top speed unassisted...

But as you say until we can travel at such speeds we can never truly be sure ..

I personally have a differing opinion...

The fact that the distance between the two ships remains equidistant is nullified by them traveling at twice the speed of light therefore not allowing the light from the rear ship time to reach the front ship...

This is based on the fact you cannot make something travel quicker than its own ultimate top speed unassisted...

But as you say until we can travel at such speeds we can never truly be sure ..

No that's true, you make an excellent point there. I might also argue that unless the areas in which you're travelling are not naturally lit, it would be fair to say there would be light endlessly throughout travel. Therefore, no light to outrun.

Edited by C0bra_M3nace

That is how I would say as you are looking at something that is a set distance behind you not moving towards or away from you .

But just so you know I am not a scientist. Also I thought just saying one word "yes" was funny  :D

There will be too many bright white lines streaking past you that you won't be able to see anything else.<br><br>

And space ships don't have rear windows :D

No that's true, you make an excellent point there. I might also argue that unless the areas in which you're travelling are not naturally lit, it would be fair to say there would be light endlessly throughout travel. Therefore, no light to outrun.

I'm presuming in this scenario that there is enough ambient light to reflect off the ships to make them visible, either that or they at least have the headlights on lol...

There will be too many bright white lines streaking past you that you won't be able to see anything else.<br><br>

And space ships don't have rear windows :D

Not sure about either point here,

From my thoughts on it once you are past parallel with something it would seem to vanish at that speed as again the light couldn't travel fast enough to catch you...

The not having rear windows is wrong because at sub light speeds how would you see the galactic police trying to pull you over? Wing mirrors is just a silly idea...

:laugh1: TIE fighters have windows in the back ,don't they? 

You have to much time on your hands thinking about this stuff. 

But I have a  question star wars related  was Luke wanting to  go to an imperial academy in ANH? And if so does that mean he wanted to be a TIE pilot. 

:laugh1: TIE fighters have windows in the back ,don't they?

You have to much time on your hands thinking about this stuff.

But I have a question star wars related was Luke wanting to go to an imperial academy in ANH? And if so does that mean he wanted to be a TIE pilot.

I've been pondering that question for over 30yrs so I've had plenty of time to come up with multiple theories but my present thinking on it seems to be the most logical, but then again when was logic the accepted answer for anything?

As for Luke being a tie pilot I think his initial interview would have gone like this...

Recruitment officer "so you want to be a tie pilot?"

Luke "yes please sir"

Recruitment officer "sorry we don't have jawa sized tie fighters, try maintenance they're looking for mouse droid pilots"

Luke "..."

Edited by AWOL
  • Like 2

Aah, but the question is regarding light speed travel. TIE fighters can't do lightspeed :D

Then let's mix it up a bit . If you were towing a TIE fighter at lightspeed would you be able to see the pilot panicking?  :laugh1:

Sorry i know that is silly.  :D

Ok serious answer. Personally I think that just because the two objects are going faster than light doesn't mean that they would not be able to see each other. The light from the second ship will still reache the first ship as they are moving at exactly the same speed so are basically stationery to each other so I think that the light would only have to travel at its normal speed between the two objects to reach the first. As I said I am not a scientist so that might be rubbish.

Problem with that as far as I'm concerned is still ultimate top speed...

If you have 2 trains travelling at 200mph one behind the other, the rear train has a runway on top with an aeroplane on facing forward, the planes top speed is 100mph, engine starts and it attempts to take off and reach the front train, the distance between the trains is the same throughout but it would be impossible for the plane to get to the front one as even though while in contact with the train it's speed compared to the front train is the same once it left contact with the one it's on even at full speed it would fall back at a ratio of 2:1...

Even in the vacuum of space (if that's what it actually is, another annoying question may follow) it can't be possible to travel faster than you metaphorical legs can carry you regardless of the speed you are being carried to begin with...

If you were on that train and it was going at say the same speed a bullet fired from a gun. If you then take that gun and shoot at the train in front dead centre would the bullet hit the front train? I am assuming that you are in the wake of the front train.

Edited by Mcott65

That depends on the distance between, the speed of the train you're on gives the bullet an initial boost but it would decrease rapidly after a short (not exactly sure how far) distance and then rapidly drop off (depending on the gun used and the caliber of the bullet)...

However in the case of light it doesn't have an artificial accelerant to give it momentum like the gunpowder that makes the bullet project forward so again this is not a comparable scenario as the light can still only travel at the speed it is capable of travelling without assistance, 670,616,629mph...

• Like 1

Have you seen the inside of a TIE before? Just like tankers IRL, us short people thrive in compact spaces!

Yeah but if the recruitment officer had said "that's great you're just the right height" it wouldn't have had the same comedic effect lol...

I was lucky enough at the age of 16 to sit in the cockpit of a spitfire and was told by its pilot I was the perfect size for it, still to this day one of my treasured memories...

B.T.W 5' 7 1/2"

Edited by AWOL