TK Boots and Imperial Boots. Best out-of-box boot you'll find, approved to Centurion.  Solid shoes, both.

You can paint your own for less, but unless you get a killer deal on the boots (Jodhpur or Chelsea boots) by the time you add paint you won't save much, and it'll have to be continually maintained as the paint scrapes off. (also many are lower and pop out of the armor easier) But it's possible to save, the DIY route.

Funtamsa makes a "trooper boot" that cheaper, and will pass basic approval, but the seams on the front make it no-go for any higher levels.  And the cheap vinyl construction is not exactly built to last.

Edited by kman
  • Like 2

As long as the off-the-shelf boots meet all the requirements, they are fine, and like Kalani mentioned, they can save you some money (but not necessarily time and effort to get them to those levels, except for the Funtasma of course.  For long term wear and tear and lots of trooping, TKboots and Imperial Boots can't be beat.  If you go with them, I would suggest ordering a half or full size larger to put gel insoles in for comfort.

As long as the off-the-shelf boots meet all the requirements, they are fine, and like Kalani mentioned, they can save you some money (but not necessarily time and effort to get them to those levels, except for the Funtasma of course.  For long term wear and tear and lots of trooping, TKboots and Imperial Boots can't be beat.  If you go with them, I would suggest ordering a half or full size larger to put gel insoles in for comfort.

No, I understand that they meet the requirements. I'm just wondering why the requirements allow it? 'Screen accurate', boots would be  black boots of the correct style, painted white. No?  

No, I understand that they meet the requirements. I'm just wondering why the requirements allow it? 'Screen accurate', boots would be  black boots of the correct style, painted white. No?

Yes. But depending on how good a job you do, white painted boots just end up being white boots. Except for the ongoing maintenance issues. White boots, slightly scuffed seems a lot more reasonable, and I doubt you could tell the difference in the photo.

IIRC, White-painted boots are allowed, as long as they meet the rest of the requirements, at the highest levels, if that's what you really want, though. :)

Yes. But depending on how good a job you do, white painted boots just end up being white boots. Except for the ongoing maintenance issues. White boots, slightly scuffed seems a lot more reasonable, and I doubt you could tell the difference in the photo.

IIRC, White-painted boots are allowed, as long as they meet the rest of the requirements, at the highest levels, if that's what you really want, though. :)

Don't get me wrong, I think white off-the-shelf boots are probably a better idea. Whilst they may be more 'Screen accurate', painted boots look a bit shabby to me on-screen. Just thinking of that screen shot where Han Solo, dressed as a stormtrooper is sitting on the chair. The shoes look awful :D

I went the less expensive path and with Amazon Prime, saved about half to receive Amsterdam boots. Then I painted them.

The two issues I have are 1) they are lower in height and I have to use straps to keep my shins pulled down, and 2) I broke them in first before painting and now those creases are where the white paint comes off first.  Depending on how much walking I do, I need to touch up every few troops.

Now that I have a good blaster and on the list for fans, my next purchase will be TK or Imperial Boots!

I went the less expensive path and with Amazon Prime, saved about half to receive Amsterdam boots. Then I painted them.

The two issues I have are 1) they are lower in height and I have to use straps to keep my shins pulled down, and 2) I broke them in first before painting and now those creases are where the white paint comes off first.  Depending on how much walking I do, I need to touch up every few troops.

Now that I have a good blaster and on the list for fans, my next purchase will be TK or Imperial Boots!

But painted is more 'screen accurate'!? Keep your flaking boots and be proud :D

What did you paint them with? I used Angelus leather dye. Worked great :)

Agreed on the accuracy to the movies, just haven't made up my mind if I like having to velcro the tops closed to fit in my calves and then strap the calves down to the boots. But they do fit perfectly and have not had any issues since I came up with a solution for my issues.

Paint for the leather is Meltonian’s Nu-Life Color Spray from a shoe repair shop and the elastic was painted with Tulip’s Soft Matte White Fabric Paint from a craft shop.  Maybe using the Angelus leather dye could have saved me some issues.

Edited by wingnut65

Agreed on the accuracy to the movies, just haven't made up my mind if I like having to velcro the tops closed to fit in my calves and then strap the calves down to the boots. But they do fit perfectly and have not had any issues since I came up with a solution for my issues.

Paint for the leather is Meltonian’s Nu-Life Color Spray from a shoe repair shop and the elastic was painted with Tulip’s Soft Matte White Fabric Paint from a craft shop.  Maybe using the Angelus leather dye could have saved me some issues.

I was surprised how well the Angelus went on and covered the black (after acetone / steel wool treatment). It's much thicker than any of the leather oil dyes I've used. Probably closer to an edge-kote dye.

• Like 1

So many boots topics, so I'll try to get some views here instead of opening a new one.

I'm based in Norway so shipping (and probably taxes) on TK or IMPs really kills and I will try and find something locally and pain.

How about these?--------------

At around 53 eur/57 usd price seems ok, if not great.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 3/3/2016 at 5:44 PM, bad_mynock said:

So many boots topics, so I'll try to get some views here instead of opening a new one.

I'm based in Norway so shipping (and probably taxes) on TK or IMPs really kills and I will try and find something locally and pain.

How about these?-------------

At around 53 eur/57 usd price seems ok, if not great.

That's the correct type of shoe, definitely. You'll have to paint/dye it white, and that never stays perfect, so maintenance will be ongoing. But it's perfectly accurate to wear those, and approvable to the highest levels. Note they are not quite as tall as TK Boots, so you may have more issues with your shins popping up, but it's pretty easy to make a loop to hold them down, so that's not a huge issue.

(Technically, it's MORE screen accurate than TK Boots/IB, since the onscreen boots were black painted white as well)

On 3/4/2016 at 4:51 AM, bad_mynock said:

Good height is what seems to find. Any ca. measurements on how high the TK/IB boots are?

I don't have mine with me at the office, but I'll be happy to measure them if you'd like, when I get home.

They do have quite a few photos of the new taller boots on their website here:--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Good height is what seems to find. Any ca. measurements on how high the TK/IB boots are?

These size 10 (US) TK boots are about 8.25" (21 cm) tall.

HCuupD.jpg

I don't have any IB to measure.

Edited by kman