Anyone tried a monitor in the helmet?

Here's a random question that I came up with while wearing my helmet around the house. I wanted to see if anything was at my feet and was trying to look through the frown holes, but it was hard to see anything. There wasn't a way to look down besides bending over at the waist and tilting my head down pretty far. But below the frown area, there's a decent amount of space and I was wondering if anyone has tried to mount a small monitor of some type in there? I was thinking it could be hooked up to a small camera that could be mounted somewhere in the chin area pointing down in front of the trooper. So if you need to see what's directly in front of you by your feet (stairs, small children, dogs, etc.) you could just glance down at the monitor.

I'm not the best at implementing ideas like this without references, so has anyone out there tried something like this before? Or see any negative side effects to doing it?

Now that is a really good idea.  I always have a little kid below me looking to give a hug or high five but cant see them.  The Cpt Rex I have helps but not the TK.  I would be interested if someone had any ideas.  What about using a Raspberry Pi system with small LCD in it?  I would love to know what we could do now a days with Pi or the new Pine computers coming out that are small and could run all kinds of things through one device. 

Not sure you would have any decent resolution at such close distance to your eyes. Also beware of head aches.

But sure, it could be done with something like a raspberry pi zero or an arduino coupled with a camera and lcd screen. But it'll probably cost you $100-200 and require a fair bit of custom coding on your part.

Maybe a cheap video baby monitor? I say cheap because the cheap ones are black and white and have a small screen. Making it run on 12volts or something...I don't know.

Hey Richard, great idea. I'd say chase your dream, do a bit of research and see what's available on the market. 

This is definitely something that looks right up your alley, Tony.  Should I just send you a blank check now? LOL   :D

How about something like Google Glass. Would have to be something "like" Google Glass since it never really got off the ground. 

There are similar devices. Here is just one, Alto Tech's Cool Glass...

------------

It would still require mounting a Bluetooth enabled camera somewhere.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I may try to get one of those cheap rear view mirror cameras and play around with one, but I do like that Cool Glass idea. Too bad it costs so much!

I wonder if I could make some kind of periscope and avoid electronics altogether.

What about a mount for a smart phone? Can pick up some cheap ones that would fit, just activate the camera and voila...

That's an interesting idea too. I'm making a list of ideas to try out when I start working on my helmet's interior. Just need to finish the rest of my armor first!